Dr. Panine For Fut Scar Repair. What Do You Think?

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am scheduling an appointment for early January for 300+ FUE placed into my 6" FUT scar, with Dr. Panine, in Chicago. They sound very professional and confident. Any advice?

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
bump - this is very important for me. It's 5k for only 300+ grafts, because they have a minimum.

can someone help me with the following questions?

1) Dr. Panine seems a very reputable surgeon, but in terms of scar repair with FUE, do you think it's s good idea.

2) What is the success rate with FUE into scars? Seems like it wouldn't be that high do to low blood supply.

3) The scar is raised, so will this effect the cosmetic outcome?

4) Would SMP as well as FUE be a good idea for maximum coverage?

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
bump - this is very important for me. It's 5k for only 300+ grafts, because they have a minimum.

can someone help me with the following questions?

1) Dr. Panine seems a very reputable surgeon, but in terms of scar repair with FUE, do you think it's s good idea.

2) What is the success rate with FUE into scars? Seems like it wouldn't be that high do to low blood supply.

3) The scar is raised, so will this effect the cosmetic outcome?

4) Would SMP as well as FUE be a good idea for maximum coverage?

WAY too expensive to bother firstly.

For a scar SMP only is going to be preferable to FUE into it from what I've seen. Are you a full blown NW6? If you're balding area is in the NW5 you're probably still better off opting for FUE + SMP across the whole area with a conservative hairline. If you usually buzz your head your donor is probably better than you think it is, wouldn't be surprised if you can get 5000 FUE out of it if you're only NW5 and your donor is at least average. Would go a long way with SMP.

Can you post a photo of the scar? Problem with it is that like you say blood supply and damaged tissue lowers survival rate and ultimately won't allow dense packing or a natural look. It will still look like something is up with it. Probably going to look more natural to go full SMP into the scar, FUE into it won't looks as good as you think it might, and for 300 grafts where only 15-200 grow for 5k its not a good idea.

But I mean 5k for that is a f*****g waste. Cancel it asap. If you have that kind of money to throw around go to Turkey for a proper transplant. Erdogan's clinic does scar SMP still I think and he'd probably still get you to a better place than you are now with FUE.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
First off, I am by no means rich, but 5k is something I can afford, especially for the convenience and expertise. I don't want to fly to turkey to save a couple grand. Secondly, SMP is only viable it you keep it shaven at zero all the time. At this point I am very diffused in the NW7. By NW7, I mean you can see thinning half way down the back of my head and sides, just like my father. No more transplants, SMP for me. I am done and want the scar fixed. 5k is a lot, but like I said, he has a minimum payment, because he only sees one patient a day, and it's a lot of work. From what I understand, he does all the extractions and placement himself. Here is the best pic of the scar I could get, because I keep the back at a three. note that this is just part of the scar, and it stretches 6" across the entire back.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 510

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
First off, I am by no means rich, but 5k is something I can afford, especially for the convenience and expertise. I don't want to fly to turkey to save a couple grand. Secondly, SMP is only viable it you keep it shaven at zero all the time. At this point I am very diffused in the NW7. By NW7, I mean you can see thinning half way down the back of my head and sides, just like my father. No more transplants, SMP for me. I am done and want the scar fixed. 5k is a lot, but like I said, he has a minimum payment, because he only sees one patient a day, and it's a lot of work. From what I understand, he does all the extractions and placement himself. Here is the best pic of the scar I could get, because I keep the back at a three. note that this is just part of the scar, and it stretches 6" across the entire back.

"Secondly, SMP is only viable it you keep it shaven at zero all the time. At this point I am very diffused in the NW7."

Wrong.

Slide15.jpg

I've seen plenty of people like you on the forums man, they get a shitty f*****g result and it puts them off so badly they can't think clearly. Have you grown your hair out long enough to know that another transplant isn't viable? Here's a guy who is basically a Norwood 7 and took 5500 grafts. This is your best option man, whether or not you're traumatised by a shitty Bosley result.

file.jpg

file.jpg

file.jpg

file.png

file.jpg

5k for what you'd be getting is a big fat f*****g waste of money and it won't even look natural dude. Don't f*****g do it, it's not about saving money going to Turkey either, Panine is a decent doctor but not a great doctor, you went to Bosley man, trust me on this don't make another mistake. There are like 20 doctors better than Panine in Turkey, some of them among the best in the world and all are at fair prices.

Buy some bitcoin with that 5k, save 14k for a 5000 graft procedure with Erdogan and a trip to Turkey, or get SMP into the scars. Those are your best options. Your current plan is dogshit and a waste of money. 5k for 300 grafts that could have been used in the balding area and probably only 150 will grow anyway. Holy sh*t that is a terrible idea.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
1) this guys hair looks like garbage. yes, better than before, but I would just shave that rats nest anyways.

2) with the smp pic - something is clearly off. I mean, his hair is even a different color. It's an illusion.

3) it doesn't matter if I grow my hair out, because I have rapidly diffusing hair and NO treatments work. So, that's a terrible idea.

I am not going to save my money so I can have a sickly looking diffused rats nest for the rest of my life. Once again, I would rather shave it. I want to CAMOFLOUGE the scar. that's it. At a zero, 1 or 2 guard doesn't matter. I want it hidden.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
1) this guys hair looks like garbage. yes, better than before, but I would just shave that rats nest anyways.

2) with the smp pic - something is clearly off. I mean, his hair is even a different color. It's an illusion.

3) it doesn't matter if I grow my hair out, because I have rapidly diffusing hair and NO treatments work. So, that's a terrible idea.

I am not going to save my money so I can have a sickly looking diffused rats nest for the rest of my life. Once again, I would rather shave it. I want to CAMOFLOUGE the scar. that's it. At a zero, 1 or 2 guard doesn't matter. I want it hidden.

Dude if you think that guy's hair looks garbage you are nuts. Strong hairline and in his late 30s basically looks like he has a full head of hair, those pics are also in harsh light. No one is regularly standing above you looking down at your hair unless your into queer sh*t and are a bottom. He also has the option of adding SMP in between gaps to get it looking perfect for a buzzed look and remove the noticeable diffusion.

Totally agree with your point on the SMP pic, but it's the same with FUE into the scar, it's never going to look perfect, but implants into scar tissue are unpredictable and there is a chance it could look even more unnatural.

I mean I totally get how sh*t your situation is man, Its just that its unrealistic to think that this is a good solution. It's expensive and there's a 99% chance it won't look completely natural, and about a 50/50 that it will look any better. SMP would be a better looking solution I've seen enough cases to know, and if you think that SMP pic looks "off" (and it does a little), then you're likely not going to be happy with FUE to scar results. It's just a waste of money man, and not a chance it will be "hidden" like you seem to think. There are ZERO chance you will camouflage it to the point no one will know.

I know you don't want to look for the full transplant option but it would definitely be worth consulting some other doctors on that possibility and having your donor analysed. But sounds like you've made up you're mind and are willing to blow 5gs on something you are going into rashly anyway so not sure what else to say. See how you feel when you figure out 6 months afterwards you spent 5k on a procedure that fucked up your situation even more than it already is.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude if you think that guy's hair looks garbage you are nuts. Strong hairline and in his late 30s basically looks like he has a full head of hair, those pics are also in harsh light. No one is regularly standing above you looking down at your hair unless your into queer sh*t and are a bottom. He also has the option of adding SMP in between gaps to get it looking perfect for a buzzed look and remove the noticeable diffusion.

Totally agree with your point on the SMP pic, but it's the same with FUE into the scar, it's never going to look perfect, but implants into scar tissue are unpredictable and there is a chance it could look even more unnatural.

I mean I totally get how sh*t your situation is man, Its just that its unrealistic to think that this is a good solution. It's expensive and there's a 99% chance it won't look completely natural, and about a 50/50 that it will look any better. SMP would be a better looking solution I've seen enough cases to know, and if you think that SMP pic looks "off" (and it does a little), then you're likely not going to be happy with FUE to scar results. It's just a waste of money man, and not a chance it will be "hidden" like you seem to think. There are ZERO chance you will camouflage it to the point no one will know.

I know you don't want to look for the full transplant option but it would definitely be worth consulting some other doctors on that possibility and having your donor analysed. But sounds like you've made up you're mind and are willing to blow 5gs on something you are going into rashly anyway so not sure what else to say. See how you feel when you figure out 6 months afterwards you spent 5k on a procedure that fucked up your situation even more than it already is.

Good post and I agree with most of it - but how exactly would 300 fue into a scar make my situation worst? The ONLY thing I am concerned about now and forever is camoflauging the scar.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@JeanLucBB - you know I appreciate your opinion and I haven't commited to anything yet. Everyone agree with Jeanluc? looking at you, @shookwun, @Swoop, @WhitePolarBear, @hellouser, etc ... I just really want to conceal this scar and shave my head. I appreciate any advice.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good post and I agree with most of it - but how exactly would 300 fue into a scar make my situation worst? The ONLY thing I am concerned about now and forever is camoflauging the scar.

Unpredictable yield into scar, density can't match surrounding areas, + FUT creates and issue with direction of hairs above and below not matching which will be hard to correct and fix while looking natural. Also wastes donor that could have been used for the top area, and potentially that scarring could be noticeable from the new FUE, but unlikely on that front.

I haven't seen a single FUE into scar case where i couldn't still see the scar or it looked perfect at a buzz length. Cosmetic improvement, but not totally camoflauged. Only way you can totally camouflage is with FUE or SMP and then grow it all out a bit. I just don't see it realistic that you'll have the procedure and be happy with it and stop thinking about it a year later.

SteveTabernack

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm with Jean on this.

I definitely think the guy he posted who had a 5k+ transplant looks far better despite the thin crown than he would as a full on baldie. Of course it's hard to judge whether that's an option for you without knowing your full situation.

And I really have to agree that going for only a scar transplant would be a mistake when you just plan on shaving it down any way. SMP would be my call then also.

Marky9829

Reaction score
I’m with jean on this get a quote from Erodgan, it’s surprising what he can do with 5000 grafts even if it is thinning spread, mixed with some smp could be a nice result framing the face.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m with jean on this get a quote from Erodgan, it’s surprising what he can do with 5000 grafts even if it is thinning spread, mixed with some smp could be a nice result framing the face.

So, filling in a FUT scar is risky, but this isn't?? Once again, I have diffused thinning halfway down the BACK of my head and sides, in the ultimate NW7 pattern. No treatments work. There is NO way I am an hair transplant candidate and I learned this the hard way.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
and BUMP. Shocking that someone that has been here this long and is this emotionally distraught is only recieving advice from a couple members about a very critical life decision. Mean while y'all are blowing up threads about Justin Bieber and sh*t.

I NEED MORE ADVICE b****s. Please and thank you.

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am also a diffuse thinner and honestly I understand where you are coming from in terms of not bothering with transplants up top, but £5k for 300 grafts to cover up a FUT scar is on the steep end. Also just like SMP the FUT is not a guaranteed result (permanent shock loss and all that, which diffuse thinners are even more susceptible to) but the difference between the two is SMP eventually fades hence if you’re not happy with it you aren’t stuck with the results for life.

Hence I agree with jean, I think you should give SMP a shot as it’s more of a cheap risk free option and save for potentially future treatments like shisiedo which fingers crossed will be released in the near future.

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score

Hey buck, saw that you were still looking for advice and thought I'd add my two cents for whatever it's worth.

I'm not an expert on scars but I've been thinking a little about them as I'm getting a big frontal scar from forehead reduction soon enough.

The first thing I would make sure you exhaust is laser therapy. Lasers can be surprisingly good for scars. The question I haven't figured out is are there any scar type lasers that won't damage hair? I asked an aesthetic technician that did PRP once last year and they said there are definitely laser ways of treating scars without damaging hair. I don't know for sure though.

In addition to lasers, if it is raised or bumpy, you should try to get that fixed before putting more transplants in. Some options for a raised scar are rubbing DMSO into it (breaks down collagen and scars), using a topical cortisone cream (probably not effective), and home LLLT therapy possibly as well. You can also try silicon scar gels but I think they are only useful at the start of a scar.

I absolutely under no condition would get transplants until the scar is in the best possible shape. Why? Because transplant survival can be dicey to start with. But it's absolutely gonna be worse if they're going into a tough overgrown scar (vs soft "normal" scalp).

SMP should be considered only after transplants are done.. ie. If the transplants fail, get SMP to cover the area then. If that fails as well, you can always see a plastic surgeon about a scar revision, where they can cut out the existing scar altogether, but there is no guarantee that will heal any better.

I'm not an expert on who is the best for transplants. But hopefully this is at least a little helpful to you for the "phase 1" advice first.