Dr. Lee seems to say that liquid is better than foam/gel

dolomick

Reaction score
Been thinking of switching to foam only because so many people seem to like it, not because I have any problem with the liquid. Dr. Lee seems to be saying that liquid absorbs better though... Anyone think foam absorbs better and if so, why?

From Dr. Lee's site....

Q. Why is a 12.5% Minoxidil Solution more effective than a 12.5% minoxidil lotion, cream or gel?

A. The absorption of minoxidil from a cream, gel or lotion is less efficient than with a solution because only the molecules directly adjacent to the skin can absorb into the scalp. In a true solution, such as the 12.5% Minoxidil Solution, the solute (minoxidil molecules), move freely within the solvent, whereas in a cream, lotion or gel, a substantial quantity of the minoxidil molecules remain suspended and unavailable within the viscous base.

beaner

Reaction score
I don't believe Dr Lee was referring to the Rogaine foam in that statement which was written prior to it's release. The penetration of the foam has been proven to be superior to that of a liquid solution.

dolomick

Reaction score
I believe you are correct, but the same logic would seem to apply to the foam. Can you point me to a link or study that verifies the foam is better as you claim. Thanks...

beaner

Reaction score
Nope. There is a graph floating around here somewhere, though, comparing the penetration of both and the versafoam won by a longshot. I think the fact that 85% of those in the clinical trials grew hair from the foam compared to 50-60% for the liquid says enough.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Dr. Lee seems to say that liquid is better than foam/gel

Probably because he doesn't sell foam/gel.

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The foam can't even be classified as a gel or cream. When you apply it its actually liquid. Fast drying liquid.