Dr Jeffrey Epstein - help and recommendations needed please?

G

Trep,

IMO, the docs you mentioned in the US that do FUE including repair with FUE techniques are very talented docs. Possibly you live in NYC and although I never recommend to choose a Doctor based on location, you really are talking to some talented proven ones in NYC. :wink:

Again I just have to commend you on doing your homework because everytime I read your posts, "you're right on target". And yes I agree things will get better and better because whenever anyone does their required research, they are better able to make an "informed decision".

Trepidation

Reaction score
Gillenator,

Thanks again for your kind comments. I'm actually based in the Uk which to me is a blessing in disguise. If I was based in the US I'd probably rush to the most convenient location but I've accepted I have to travel so wherever it is it doesn't really matter.

I had a long chat with Dr Bridges from Dr Cole's surgery and he was deeply sensitive and informative about my situation. As he continually stated he would love to help me but he has to run it over with Dr Cole first and deal with the financial and logistical parts as well. It currently looks like I'll need two visits across the pond, initially to remove the grafts and possibly to do some density work then to work on the area where the grafts were removed.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that somebody will be able to help me, I know I'm not beyond help - its just finding a willing Doctor to procede with this. Hopefully I'll hear back from Dr Cole soon, I've also e-mailed Dr Wolf so we'll see what comes of that. Dr Epstein is still to get back to me but hopefully thats still a viable option as well as a Bernstein/Feller combo. Once I get all these e-mails back I can then start making a few phone calls. Matt from Shapiro medical wants to speak to me as well so we'll see what happens there. I'm just hoping one of these options will materialise so I can start getting my life back.

G

Trep,

You're definitely contacting some of the very best, no question of it. I'm sure you will hear back from everyone in due time including Dr. Shapiro so best wishes to you and keep us in the loop. :wink:

G

Trep come over to Australia we have many great doctors here too.

Damo

Trepidation

Reaction score
What are your guys take on Dr Ray Woods of Australia? I've had brief contact via e-mail and although I understand there very expensive I just wanted to ask your advice. Would this be a good route to take in removing grafts? I believe they use micro skin grafting to assist where the FUE's are removed? Just another thought, thanks again.

G

Trep,

He's one of the best for FUE in that part of the world. He does alot of repair too. And you're right he's also very expensive compared to others.

Trepidation

Reaction score
Thanks Gillenator, I've also spoken to Dr Wong concerning my situation and he believes he can go some way to improving it through coring out some of the problematic grafts, suturing them shut and they should heal with minimal scarring. I could also encorporate a scar revision using the tricophytic closure technique and then take it from there.

So my options seems to be Dr Wong, Dr Wolf or Dr Ray Woods (depending on price). Deciding which is the best option I don't know.

G

Trep,

They are all talented and competent. And I agree, it can be mind boggling at times trying to choose from some of the very best! And you can dialoque with their patients who are just going to say great things about Drs Wong, Wolf, and Woods. Well you certainly are narrowing things down.

One point of consideration which you probably are contemplating is, "is it better or more preferable for you to do FUE extractions or the coring surgical approach you mentioned?" I would ask each of the docs you are considering what the pros and cons are for either repair approach. Do all three do FUE? How much FUE repair experience does each have? How much experience does each have in non Fue methods or without doing extractions? How many cases "like" yours have they worked on and what were the best/worst scenarios and outcomes post-op? Ask them their opinion as to how they think "your" outcome will be.

As you know, there are no guarantees but hopefully some of these relative questions will provide you some additional insight. :)

Trepidation

Reaction score
Thanks Gillenator, it is overwhelming - one question I do have is

1/ Regarding FUE as I understand the skill is in the placement of the graft (as in all hair transplant procedures) rather than the removal? Is this correct? I'm just wondering if I should use the UK Doctor - Doctor Rodgers to procede with removal then jet over to the states for more FUE if required.

Also whats your take on Dr Arvind Poswal? There's just so many Doctors out there saying they do 'new and revolutionary' things that its hard to know which ones to believe and which ones will be able to help me. Thanks again.

G

Your welcome Trep. It is the extractions where most of the talent and experience come into play with FUE. One of the primary concerns for any FUE patient is the "transection" rates which in layman's terms is destruction of the follicule(s) during the extraction process. EVERY hair transplant procedure has some level of transection whether it is FUT or FUE. Don't be fooled by ANY doctor(s) who will tell you he/she has a zero transection rate. That's not possible, not with today's technology as good as it has been progressing.

Most if not all FUE surgeons will inform you that there is an "acquired feel" that has to be mastered when the extractions are being done. And that is also why most FUE surgeons utilize a 1mm punch to try and avoid transection as much as possible. There are even some using smaller punches such as .75 and even smaller for single hair extractions. Many have the opinion if anything smaller than 1mm is utilized, expect transection to go much higher. Yet several claim they have used smaller ones with success. But where are the pics on the yields of FUE? Why is there such a lack of clinical data publishing each Doctor's "yields"? There are far more pics showcasing the before and immediate post-op stages, but where are the ones displaying the yields? I am not implying that there are no pics of yields, just far and few between. Remember, FUE is relatively new technology being practiced. New outside of Australia.

Dr. Ray Woods is the most experienced in FUE by far. He is the founder of FUE. I refer to him as the grandfather of FUE. He has done more FUE repair work that anyone else I know and probably has the most FUE repair examples or references. So would I go to Dr. Rogers in the UK? NO. No offense intended however he is not in the same league as Drs Woods and Campbell, that's my opinion for whatever its worth.

You asked my opinion on Dr. Poswal in India. Actually, I discontinued my association with him several months ago because I eventually found him to be very unresponsive when dealing with him as an independent patient advocate. And the interesting thing about it is that he initially approached me, it was not me approaching him, and he was my second sponsoring physician. I will say that he is quite different in an open forum like the one he heavily advertises in (Hairsite). But who would bite the hand of a new patient?

It may sound like there is some bad blood between us? Not at all. :lol: I will give him this. IMO, he has provided more clinical feedback to the hairloss community on an on-going basis than any other hair transplant surgeon I know of today. He offers to teach his techniques to other docs and freely shares his methods. I also believe he is an up and coming FUE surgeon though and may be doing more BHTs than anyone else I am aware of. And I do believe that he is truly documenting yields on BHTs. Do I think he is a good FUE surgeon? Yes I do, based on examples of his work.

But if you are looking for the most experienced in FUE, including having done many repair cases just like yours, it's Dr. Woods hands down. The only drawback to Woods? His price. But remember, he does not use techs, "places" all of his grafts and believe he still limits his caseload to one patient per day, not exceeding 600 gratfs per day. Again I stand to be corrected. The placement of grafts is not the complex part, something you asked about earlier. Creating the recipient incisions however takes a very high level of talent and experience to achieve the best possible aesthetic result. I have seen more than a few patients "in person" of Dr. Woods right here in the US and the yields were indeed there not to mention very natural results. I have not had the benefit of seeing any of Dr. Poswal's patients in person, only pics.

But here's the bottom line. ANY repair situation calls for competent experience and proven results. The repair patient is in a class by himself because there are not as many options as someone starting on their first hair transplant. And there are many differing issues within each case such as lack of donor, inadequate elasticity, scarring, past scalp reductions, lack of good blood supply in the recipient area, etc. They can be very complex, and require alot of attention and detail. Many repair patients unfortunately have some real limitations and DESERVE the sole undivided attention of the surgeon and the highest utmost level of patient care including post-op exams and follow-ups. There is a psychological impact on the patient that can be and many times is life-long. These are real folks with real feelings and real needs.

So a good competent, ETHICAL surgeon can potentially facilitate the most meaningful positive impact, and help to give the patient a renewed sense of hope and self-esteem. And that's absolutely invaluable :!:

Trepidation

Reaction score
Thanks Gillenator, its funny there are so many options but at the same time picking the correct one is the most important factor right now.

My concern at the moment is to sort the poorly placed grafts i.e. remove approximately 150 grafts around the frontal cm of my hairline - I'm presuming complete removal is unrealistic but in doing this it gives the next Doctor (the one filling in the gaps) space to work with so to speak. I want to be very conservative in whatever approach I take and am seeking the best Doctor to do the job.

The options at the moment as I see them are between Dr Wolf and Dr Woods.

I spoke to Dr Wolf last night and he was a very nice chap. Said he could go some way to helping in my situation. He would remove the grafts via FUE and leave them open to heal naturally - would have to be over two sessions, revise the scar and place and grafts I got, then further conservative FUE to cover the existing poorly placed grafts. Ultimately for now I just want to get to a position where I can buzz my hair and forget about it for a while.

As for Dr Woods, well I guess a simliar approach would be taken, obviously without the scar revision cos he doesn't do strip and I'm not sure if I'd get the actual FUE done by him or just get the actual removal and repair bit done. I understand that after he extracts the FUE from the frontal region he would use micro skin grafting to return the skin to a normalised appearance. I'm unsure of the ins and outs of this process though and would appreciate any advice. Surely the skin will have some distorted appearance?

On the other side Dr Wong said that he could core out about 30 at a time, suture them shut and they would be completely removed - unlike FUE I believe where some grow back.

Anyway thats where I'm at - Wolf vs Woods I think for the moment. Things are pointing to Wolf right now, not sure how much repair work he's done but everything about him seems kinda right just now. Any comments appreciated.

G

Woods is good but $$$$ try Dr Martnick her repair work is excellent i have seen it for myself.Worth having alook at Trepidation.

Damo :lol:

G

Trep,

I was pretty sure Dr. Wolf can extract the grafts with FUE and really be able to do all three aspects of your situation including the scar revision. He has a fair amount of experience in repair cases although I do not know how many of those cases were utilizing FUE extractions.

Dr. Woods may be doing his own version of what Dr. Poswal calls "donor sealing". So rather than have complete scar matter formate when the extraction site heals, the added tissue in the extraction site is somewhat like using wood putty to fill the hole (again layman's terms). And I do believe it helps detract from having the obvious white dots (scar matter). Maybe ask Wolf his opinion on this type of tissue sealing to promote as less visible scarring as possible, especially in a high visual impact area.

G

Trepidation i think with whoever you choose,make sure you have seen there results from past patients that have had repair work done.Goodluck with whoever you choose.

Damo

G

Hopefully you will be able to talk with a few of them as well. :wink:

G

Hey Trep,

Just read some of your questions to Dr. Woods on another forum. VERY GOOD questions, have you heard back yet?

Trepidation

Reaction score
No reply yet, thats a bad thing probably. He normally seems to answer questions pretty quickly so when he doesn't that means he has to think about the answers! Just my take.

Regarding my next course of action - I think Dr Wolf is my best option. He's done repair, not seen many photos, but I'm clear in what I want. FUE removal of approx 200 frontal grafts (as I believe he is one of the best FUE Docs around), he just lets the sites heal naturally (no sutures like Dr Cole or skin grafts like Woods) but with a small punch such as 0.9mm I don't think any of that is necessary. Then rebuild the hairline from there, approx 2cm back from where it is right now.

I think complete removal is too risky, at least if I get some coverage I can shave it down and it will at least cover some of the scars (if tehre are any).

So I'm currently working on a 6 week plan. Go over to Cincinnati for 6 weeks:

Week 1: Scar revision, FUE around the suture line, FUE removal of as many grafts as possible (concentrating initially on area where I will place the new hairline), further hair transplant behind the FUE extractions to work on some density and camoflauge of the poor grafts.

End of week 2: Staples out, further FUE removal of as many grafts as possible.

End of week 4: Hairline work over the now healed FUE extractions, further hair transplant removal of frontal grafts.

End of week 6: Final frontal graft removal.

In this respect it will be a lonley 6 weeks but I believe its the best option to get my life back asap. Regarding FUE removal and re-grafting on the area - I've had varying estimates from 2 weeks to 2 months so hopefully 1 month will suffice. Regarding FUE removal alone I'm working on the basis that all the frontal grafts I require to be removed can be treated in this time whilst any regrowth can also be targeted. Working on a basis of a 25% survival rate I should be able to polish most of them off with the possiblity of 2 treatments for each hair. A bold plan, but a good one!?

Wee

G

Trepidation i have found in my past experience that Woods is very expensive comapred to other surgeons.

Damo

G

Trep,

What a plan! The only variable? How fast and well you heal. I'll bet you will do better than your forecasted 25%, but only time will tell. Say hello to Dr. Wolf and Ivan for me! You're in good hands man!