Dr Batra's Clinic to Promote Hair Cloning in India - Mar 08

chrome

Established Member
Reaction score
Dr Batra's Clinic to Promote Hair Cloning in India

They claim that the success rate of cloning would double that of the standard treatments available nowadays

Dr Batra's Clinic, (http://www.drbatras.com/html/hairtherapy.asp) India's largest chain of homeopathy clinics in India, is in process of working with Prof Dr Rolf Hoffmann, eminent dermatologist and the President of the European Hair Research Society (EHRS). See http://www.ehrs.org/organization/boardmembers.htm

"The process of hair cloning will bring an answer for hair growth to millions if balding people across the world, particularly women, who have no effective answer to their balding as on date," said Dr Hoffman, known worldwide for inventing the Trichoscan—the world's first ever tool to monitor hair density and measure treatment efficacy. He said that close to 40 per cent of women in their 40's and 50 per cent of women in their 50's experience hair loss.

The procedure of cloning is unique since it's the only one to use the cup cells of the hair to clone and grow new hair. A very small area of hair is taken from the patients scalp. The cells are taken from the cup of these hair follicles, multiplied in a laboratory for three months and then injected onto the balding areas of the patient's scalp.

Prof Dr Hoffmann added that this procedure has so far no potential side effects and that it can re-grow large amounts of hair in a period of two years for people with diffuse hair loss. He estimates the success rate of cloning to double that of the standard treatments available nowadays.

The process of hair cloning is estimated to become a reality for patients in a few years.

Prof Dr Hoffmann indicated his interest in bringing the process to India. He said "The good reputation, number of clinics and the large patient base held by Dr Batra's Clinic makes it a potential partner to bring cloning into India."

Dr Mukesh Batra, Chairman and MD Dr Batra's Clinic, said, "Bringing cloning to India would be an ideal extension of our brand and would be a very good answer for all hair patients in India."

Prof Dr Hoffmann said that the estimated hair care market worldwide is pegged at 150 billion USD. The hair transplant business is estimated to at 1.2 billion USD with an estimated 7,00,000 patients per year visiting a hair transplant surgeon. Prof Dr Hoffmann emphasised the dream of growing multiple hairs from a few donor hair follicles or hair follicle cloning.

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi Chrome,

Nice to see you over here, I have read many interesting posts from you on HLH, I think you will fit in well here with Bryan and Michael Barry etc.

All the best

Lucky.

chrome

Established Member
Reaction score
thx lucky,

i won't be posting anywhere near as much though. just the occasional thing every now and again.

so bryan is here as well eh ?

better get my studies up-to-date then :)

michael barry

Reaction score
Dr. Rolf Hoffman, the head of the EHRS (European Hair Research Society) is going to be collaborating with the Indian Clinic on this research. All 275 Doctors at the clinic are going to be "trained" in it. They will have a long way to go, as they are just starting, but I wish them all the luck in the world though. Its good to have more people researching HM and not just the three companies that we have had working on it.

India, where men seem to bald about as much as Europeans, should be all anyone needs to see concerning questions reguarding 'did baldness evolve to get more sunlight on your head' etc.? It apparently didn't as India is a hot, sunny place....and men their go bald about half the time in their fifties and sixties just like here. Its just genes...........probably because of a variant in the androgen receptor gene that you got from your mother being the most important one.

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
michael barry said:
India, where men seem to bald about as much as Europeans, should be all anyone needs to see concerning questions reguarding 'did baldness evolve to get more sunlight on your head' etc.? It apparently didn't as India is a hot, sunny place....and men their go bald about half the time in their fifties and sixties just like here. Its just genes...........probably because of a variant in the androgen receptor gene that you got from your mother being the most important one.

I think the prostate cancer and Androgenetic Alopecia (vertex balding) link needs to be furthur researched as relations have been drawn. There's too much inconclusive data on hair loss as a whole (and there are far too many factors) .. also we really don't understand the majority of why in the process. Regardless, UV plays a part in the progression of Androgenetic Alopecia and inflammation (as do many other factors), etc... whether it evolved to protect against prostate cancer is still rather speculative.

Melanin acts as a natural sunscreen absorbing UV and regulating how much is absorbed in the skin, the majority of Indians have quite dark skin so there is less UV absorption (~5% absorption versus 20-30% in white skin -- hence the higher prevalence of Androgenetic Alopecia in caucasians if we're going to address that specific theory). [Skin pigmentation evolved to adapt to environmental factors such as the increased sunlight exposure.]

Regarding Indians getting Androgenetic Alopecia later is due to time relative stimulus factors, less UV absorption and genetic predisposition to prostate cancer and Androgenetic Alopecia... Androgenetic Alopecia doesn't necessarily occur at the same time in all individuals and it's based on individual mechanisms that trigger it (follicles are preprogrammed and react upon given stimulus) which also triggers the hair follicle to secrete inhibitory factors to lessen growth and the onset of Androgenetic Alopecia. Prostate cancer prevalence is highest in blacks who also are less likely to bald than caucasians. There is a definite genetic difference between the races for Androgenetic Alopecia and prostate cancer.. the linking I made is still somewhat broad and may not be as applicable to other races.

However, I'm not as concerned about the evolutionary theory as I am of learning about less addressed processes which worsen male pattern baldness which it did touch on such as UV and resulting microinflammation (porphyrins), ROS, etc.

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
The process of hair cloning is estimated to become a reality for patients in a few years.

Even in India, HM is always just a few years away.

michael barry

Reaction score
Regarding Indians getting Androgenetic Alopecia later is due to time relative stimulus factors

who said they got it later? they go bald a great deal and in many cases very early.

Peter Proctor told me once "the whole thing seems under the contorl of ROS" (reactive oxygen species)

Docj077 thought that some men have a variant of the androgen recpeptor gene that pretty much gave them overactive androgen receptors that accepted too much androgen to target organs and the hair follicles were one of these.............the frontal scalp being an androgen-rich environment and frontal scalp follicles being shown in experiments to have more androgen receptors and more alpha five reductase activity in their outer root sheaths simply got an overload of androgen stimulis to these follicles in the classic male pattern bald areas too soon.................leading to hyperkeratinization and an immuno response to that keratinization that classically follows other autoimmune responses in form (excessive collagen deposition around the organ, t-cell infiltration, excessive inflammation, inflammatory cytokines, the killer cells, superoxides, etc). Baldness looks like organ rejection microscopially as Proctor and Uno have pointed out.

I'll also remind you that in experiments, when excessive amounts of PLAIN TESTOSTERONE are given to "donor" area follicles, they begin to react negatively to it. The difference between balding men and non-balding men is probably the androgen receptor. If you could give Brad Pitt the amount of androgen uptake at his follicles that the average balding man has, I'd bet he'd start to go bald. If we could surgically remove 15 of his follicles from is temples, tranfect them with androgen receptors and really soak them good in DHT or Testosterone...................I'd bet they'd start reacting negatively to it.

For my money.........................I think the androgen receptor mutation with the fact that some men have more active alpha five reductase enzymes in their outer root sheaths (also genetic) .......................and some men probably have a bit more active immune systems (usually linked to higher testosterone) provides the environment necessary for pattern baldness. Bryan has mentioned before that acne might actually be a result of a very active immune system inflamming the skin around very small amounts of bacteria wheras other peoples immune system doesnt react so profoundly to it. Alot of people with bad acne wash their face two or three times a day, removing the sebum and dirt, but they still have it badly.

indie85

Established Member
Reaction score
Im almost certain Insulin plays a role too. Any tv documentary on some grotesquely fat guys and they all have perfect long flocks of hair, I seriously havent seen one guy that hasnt yet.

SoThatsLife

Established Member
Reaction score
have the Intercytex researchers spread some info to other researchers since there is some new researchers trying to get a fix on HM. It is this Indian clinic and then I read Dr. Cole are searching for test patients.