Dr. Angela Christiano - Targeting Immune Cells in Alopecia Areata

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
. It says in the study that Jak inhibitors are effective during the telegen phase. .

The important problem is that scalp hair is asynchronbous, not all hairs are in the same hair phase....
Any med could be good for certains hairs and bad for others, depending it hair cycle.

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The important problem is that scalp hair is asynchronbous, not all hairs are in the same hair phase....
Any med could be good for certains hairs and bad for others, depending it hair cycle.

According to the test results, applying topical tof on the backs of previously shaved mice over 5 days, all of the hair grew back in 10 days. Rodent hair grows in cycles, too. From start of anagen to end ot telogen lasts about 3 weeks with overall cycles of growth occurring in waves from head to tail. In humans the cycling pattern is said to be mosaic.

So I believe it means that topical tofacitinib pushed mouse hair follicles into rapid anagen growth regardless of which cycles were in progress. It's not so obvious to the lay person looking at before and after photos of Christiano's lab mice, but I believe they wouldn't normally have re-grown all hair so completely like that after just 10 days.

"There are very few compounds that can push hair follicles into their growth cycle so quickly," said Dr. Christiano. "Some topical agents induce tufts of hair here and there after a few weeks, but very few have such a potent and rapid-acting effect." The drugs also produce longer hair from human hair follicles grown in culture and on skin grafted onto mice.

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well, it might be a dead end :( Christopher1 from another forum got no results. Of course it can mean a lot of things and not conclusive, but not good news either.

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry-id-132139-page-0-category-1-order-last_answer.html

Defo not good news. However, can anyone verify his claim? I don't think hair biologists would simply take his word for it. For one thing, it took something like 8 months for Brett King's patient to re-grow his hair. Does he say how long he was on the drug?

Anecdotal evidence

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...n-aclaris-acquires-vixen-pharma-baldness.html

Aclaris Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:ACRS) is a specialty pharmaceutical company focused on identifying, developing and commercializing novel dermatologic treatment

Hmm? A clinical stage specialty pharmaceutical company?

We are delighted to enter into this agreement with Aclaris for the development of JAK inhibitors for alopecia areata, androgenetic alopecia, and other hair loss disorders,” said Dr. Christiano

My hopes were dashed when she said a few months ago that she and her team had taken this about as far as they can without support from a pharmaceutical company. Apparently Aclaris sees value in her research. I believe Vixen's IP includes Christiano and Jahoda's 3d spheroid delivery formula for getting the stuff to the follicles for most desirable effect. Remember, Christiano, Jahoda et al found their special formula for topical delivery is far more effective for growing hair on mice than oral doses ingested systemically which is counter-intuitive they said.

Note as people have said, the JAK-inhibitors Christiano et al have been experimenting with are already FDA approved for oral/systemic use. So the two drugs already have a safety record, and the FDA should consider any topical formulation to be even safer for human use.