Dosage Question for diffuse thinning

PCM

Reaction score
Hey all,

Well I was on 1.25 mg Proscar for about 4 months - hair was thickening up quite a bit (I'm taking finasteride for diffuse thinning on entire top of head). I was experiencing some sexual sides so I cut back to .625 about 3 weeks ago. Since then, it seems my hair has thinned again - not nearly as bad as before I started finasteride but definitely noticeable.

So here's the question - was it the cut back that did this? I would assume not as we've all heard the .25 is mostly as effective as 1mg, but still the thinning does coincide with the reduction in dosage and the correlation seems too strong to deny.

Should I supplement with Rogaine foam? I should emphasize again that I do not have any spot-specific thinning and no receding hairline - just overall thinning.

Thanks in advance

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
it could be that the sudden reduction triggered a shed.

I would give it another four months with your current (reduced) dosage and see what happens, then start worrying about supplementing with other treatments.

H2O

Established Member
Reaction score
PCM said:
So here's the question - was it the cut back that did this? I would assume not as we've all heard the .25 is mostly as effective as 1mg, but still the thinning does coincide with the reduction in dosage and the correlation seems too strong to deny.

Should I supplement with Rogaine foam? I should emphasize again that I do not have any spot-specific thinning and no receding hairline - just overall thinning.

Another possibility is that you are experiencing a "normally scheduled" shed. Many people report a shed around the 3-4 month mark after starting finasteride. It very well could be a coincidence and was going to happen anyway regardless. Either way...stick with your regimen and I would say give it a bit more time before doing/changing anything based solely on this recent shed.

G

As you said, 0.2mg is 90% as effective as 1mg. Therefore dropping from 1.25mg to 0.625mg probably had nothing to do with a reduction in sides or a shed. Sides can go away on their own if you stick with the medicine, and the drop to 0.625mg could've helped psychologically eliminate your sides.

What's likely happening in regards to the shed is what H2O said too.

Are you effectively cutting your proscar (or generic proscar) into 1/8ths? I'm using quartered Finax right now which is 0.25mg but I think I could save some more money buy purchasing fincar or finast and cutting into 8ths to get the 0.625mg dosage.

G

Hi PCM,

Yes I remember that post. In fact, I purchased that same pill splitter you posted a picture of. Though it looks like the one you have is a little different than the top one and a little better for splitting into 1/8ths.

PCM

Reaction score
Well folks, I'm getting kind of desperate. I just cut my hair shorter than usual and you can REALLY see through it now. I'd say it's almost back to how it was before I started finasteride. Should I go back to 1.25mg? Any help is much appreciated.

Diffusinator

Reaction score
i too am a diffuse thinner and reduced from 1.5mg or so to 1mg, and noticed increased loss. im not sure whats going on, but im starting to believe once u go high, u have to stay high. i started cutting my generic finasteride 5mg into three pieces again instead of 4. i also recently switched from 1mg brand name propecia to generic just last month. ever since sh*t seems to be going down hill... the generic is from rite-aid and its a docs script.

G

PCM said:
Well folks, I'm getting kind of desperate. I just cut my hair shorter than usual and you can REALLY see through it now. I'd say it's almost back to how it was before I started finasteride. Should I go back to 1.25mg? Any help is much appreciated.

Maybe what diffusinator said has some merit to it, in regards to conditioning yourself to higher doses of finasteride when you start off, but remember that 0.2mg was up to 90% as effective as 1mg. If you're taking 0.625mg that should be even much closer to 1:1 effectiveness. Any chance this could be in your head??

You said you could split the 1/8th chunk into half again, so whynot just gradually climb back up instead of going right to 1.25mg, which is even higher than the standard dosage for male pattern baldness.

I'm not sure how you could tell if this would work anyways unless you stayed on each dosage for about a years time. You might just be reaching a natural shed cycle at the moment which is why you think it looks worse.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
FairTaxNow said:
PCM said:

Maybe what diffusinator said has some merit to it, in regards to conditioning yourself to higher doses of finasteride when you start off, but remember that 0.2mg was up to 90% as effective as 1mg. If you're taking 0.625mg that should be even much closer to 1:1 effectiveness. Any chance this could be in your head??

You said you could split the 1/8th chunk into half again, so whynot just gradually climb back up instead of going right to 1.25mg, which is even higher than the standard dosage for male pattern baldness.

I'm not sure how you could tell if this would work anyways unless you stayed on each dosage for about a years time. You might just be reaching a natural shed cycle at the moment which is why you think it looks worse.

why do you thin merck decided on 1mg on finasteride and not .25mg?

G

Don't know, I'm guessing the scientists found a good cut-off point for where most individuals will respond to the treatment. Perhaps you wouldn't want the standardized dosage that close to the point where the results flatten off. I'm glad they did though, it surely makes it cheaper for me when I cut these 1mg pills into 4 pieces!

G

hair today gone tomorrow said:
why dont you buy proscar and cut that into 4.

That would give me 1.25mg doses. I will likely be Finast/Fincar/Proscar when my Finax runs out, and cut it into 8 pieces.

PCM

Reaction score
I went back up to 1.25. Man it's going fast now. Please god let this just be a shed. Unbelievable how much it has thinned in one week.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
I went through this as well. Stay at the 1.25 and ride it out. Changing the dosage back and forth may increase sheds do to hormomes adjusting. Good Luck