Doom's story

Doom

Reaction score
I am 35 years old and right now what I call "The Fear" has returned. For the past 5 years I have worn my hair short and either spiked or pushed back. I realized that compared to the wild hair days of when I was 19-25 my hair was changing. I always figured it was a natural part of getting older. A few days before this past Thanksgiving I had a haircut and was horrified to see that my hair seemed dangerously thin. My hairline has been in the same position for years and I have no full blown baldspots or anything just what seems like diffuse thinning over the top of my head. Luckily, I am still able to wear my hair in the style I've had it in for years but I fear that those days may be waning. I don't know if it's male pattern baldness, stress or what. For years I always thought the growing cycles of my hair were "out of whack". My father had a full head of hair as did my mother's father. For the past few years the hair on the side of my head seemed to grow faster than on top and the solution always was to get a haircut. But now the haircut gag is wearing thin. (No pun intended) I'm wondering if I've past some point of no return. After my last haircut I went into a full panic and immediately ordered a 3 month supply of Propecia and some Tricomin. It's only been 2 months so results are not to be expected this early. The weird thing is, contrary to many other guys, I never really notice any "sheds" and my scalp is never irritated or inflamed. I feel like my hair has been slowly falling out one hair at a time. Hair loss is such an insidious process.
I would appreciate any thoughts, comments or questions. My mood is sinking fast.

jeffsss

Reaction score
Re: Sinking's story

Sinking said:
I am 35 years old and right now what I call "The Fear" has returned. For the past 5 years I have worn my hair short and either spiked or pushed back. I realized that compared to the wild hair days of when I was 19-25 my hair was changing. I always figured it was a natural part of getting older. A few days before this past Thanksgiving I had a haircut and was horrified to see that my hair seemed dangerously thin. My hairline has been in the same position for years and I have no full blown baldspots or anything just what seems like diffuse thinning over the top of my head. Luckily, I am still able to wear my hair in the style I've had it in for years but I fear that those days may be waning. I don't know if it's male pattern baldness, stress or what. For years I always thought the growing cycles of my hair were "out of whack". My father had a full head of hair as did my mother's father. For the past few years the hair on the side of my head seemed to grow faster than on top and the solution always was to get a haircut. But now the haircut gag is wearing thin. (No pun intended) I'm wondering if I've past some point of no return. After my last haircut I went into a full panic and immediately ordered a 3 month supply of Propecia and some Tricomin. It's only been 2 months so results are not to be expected this early. The weird thing is, contrary to many other guys, I never really notice any "sheds" and my scalp is never irritated or inflamed. I feel like my hair has been slowly falling out one hair at a time. Hair loss is such an insidious process.
I would appreciate any thoughts, comments or questions. My mood is sinking fast.

do you notice hair in your hands while showering or styling your hair?
If so, your probabaly expereincing male pattern baldness..
In regards to your "panic mode" i did the same thing.
if it is stress, your hair will come back.. if your hair is actaully thinner.. then it's male pattern baldness.
I didnt get the dreaded "itch/irritation" till about 4 months into noticing hair fall out.

good luck man. hopefully propecia works for ya.!

Doom

Reaction score
I never see hair in the shower. I'll see a few stands fall out here and there but never any massive amounts. My hairline is still intact with some thin spots at teh sides. My mom always says I have my grandfather's hairline, the peak. I can definitely tell that my hair has goten thinner though. The thing that sucks is that if I style my hair with gel it will look fine (so far). But if it's wet or without gel it feels so damn thin. I have very fine, straight hair that has always been hard to manage. I am really hoping that the Propecia works. Some of the things I've read on this board make it seem like Propecia doesn't work at all and that's a bit scary. I'm seriously considering buying a laser comb, high price be damned. I refuse to give up hope being that I've only been on Propecia for 2 months.

the_beast

Established Member
Reaction score
In order for stress to be a factor in thinning, it is generally a major major prolonged period of stress. So unless you've been going through some very tough times, it is most likely male pattern baldness. It's not what most people think, like "Damn that was a rough day at work." You need some pretty major issues / worry.

However, diffuse thinning is tricky. You may wish to get your thyroid checked just to be sure it's not from that.