dont know where to start (DHT blockers)

desperateDavid

Reaction score
hi there,

i'm really at a loss as which or what product I should start taking. I'm receding at the temples (age 28 ), and would like to stop this if possible.
Looking on the net, i can see lots of talk and adverts for various products, but i'm really lost and dont know where to start.

I saw Hairgenesis claiming to stop hair loss at the front hairline whereas others mention the 'vortex'. Does Hairgen work? Or should i start to take Propecia? Or Dutasteride? or what? There seems to be alot of options and i really want to choose the best obviously.

could someone PLEASE help me , as i dont have a clue where to start and what to beleive.

ANY advice will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

demo99

Reaction score
at first you should have a basic knowledge on the hairloss topic. There are quite good stuff on this homepage.
The approved medics are finasterid (propecia) and minoxodil (roagine).
Another drug is dutasterid (avodart) but nowadays its not a official drug because the drug study was canceled.

For further information you should look up in the internet.

have a nice day

regards
demo99

CCS

Reaction score
http://www.fabaocanada.com/hair-loss-tr ... -serum.htm
Isoproyl alcohol, Cleic acid, LSESr 85/95% liposterolic content (Saw Palmetto extract), Oleth-20, Evening Primrose oil, Stinging nettle extract, Pygeum Africana extract, GLA Borage oil, Macadamia nut oil, Propylene glycol, Nonoxynol 10, Polysorbate 80, Camellia Sinesis extract, Biotin.

Hairgenesis is a scam. No if ands or buts about that. Just look at the ingredients. GLA is good only if the fatty acids are freed from their glycerol. Saw palmetto is very weak, but has some help. It still is a scam, though.

Everyone should try finasteride first, though a strip of 10 dutas for $13.50 is also a good starting point, if we can know it is real. That is the active ingredient of Propecia (1mg) and proscar (5mg). Get a prescription and buy generic Proscar from your pharmacy and cut it in 4ths with a pill cutter. Cheap.

You can also get it on http://www.inhousepharmacy.com . We don't yet know if it is real, but many people with side effects or responsive hair say it is. That is a trusted site with free shipping.

I recommend you buy a strip of 10 dutas and take 2 per week and see if you get side effects. 5% of men get them from 7x per week doses. Dutas is supposed to be the same as Avodart. Avodart is like a much more powerful drug like proscar. It is very safe at 2x per week, regardless of what some non-experts on here will say. That is $13.50 to try it, and it is significantly stronger than propecia.

It makes little difference when you start minoxidil. It has some protective properties, but mostly just multiplies your hair mass by 1.3 while you are on it, and the extra goes away when you get off.

SODs like folligen, tricomin, american crew revitalizing spray, and products at http://www.drproctor.com, work sinergistically with minoxidil, but are no substitute for finasteride or dutasteride.

If you get side effects from propecia, you are kind of screwed, but there are some products that can help a bit. spironolactone and SODs are your main hope, though the free fatty acids in Revivogen can block DHT production IF they get absorbed into the follicle in sufficient amounts. I'm not convinced they do. Only the vials may have value. The sampoo and conditioner are probably worthless, unless they make your scalp feel good.

desperateDavid

Reaction score
which 1?

thanks collegechemistrystudent.

some great info. My hairline is receeding at the temples, but still looks OK with my hair style, brushed back you can clearly see i am following my Dads baldness pattern. If I could keep what i still have that would be great. I am 28 and the receeding is starting to be more noticable year by year.
Propecia says it prevents loss in the Vertex area, but my problem is the front hairline (temples). Should I just start to take this Dutasteride imediately?
is this (supposedly) the best drug to prevent DHT ? And is it REALLY possible to prevent further hairloss, even though my dad (now 66) is completeley bald? Sorry for all the Q's, but i really need to start doing something now b4 it is noticable!!!! and u seem to be pretty savvy on the subject!

thanks in advance

CCS

Reaction score
Propecia works on the front just as much as the back. Specifically, it lower the DHT levels by the same percent front and back. If your follicles can thrive in 30% their previous DHT level, they regrow. If not, they die. Avodart 1 per day can reduce 98% of DHT produced in the follicle, so a higher percentage of hairs can recover. 3 per week reduces it by 95%.

yes, start it immediately. Your hair are on a metaphorical conveyor belt, headed towards a fire. Their health is on a bell curve, with the weakest closest to dying. Drugs can reverse the conveyor best direction, but they can't repair the ones that are completely burnt up, metaphorically. Once micro scaring occurs some time after the scalp is shiny bald, the hair will not grow back. And even some of the non-completely killed hair can't be vervived.

Propecia stops or regrows hair in 83% of men, and for the majority of men is more effective in back, but many find it more effective or equally effective in front. on average, it regrows 1/5 of your hair density, and does not regrow much from smooth bald skin, though it does for a few people who recently lost it.

Avodart is much more likely to work for you, though I have not seen studies on the percentage of men it works on. I just know that the average hair regrowth is higher than proscar, and many people who could not maintain hair on propecia regrew some on avodart.

If you want to regrow your hair from smooth areas, you need topical spironolactone in addition to these pills, and some SODs or at least minoxidil.

you can experiment with propecia if you want, but unless you see a small amount of regrowth in 3 months, or NO shed within 3 months, I would go with the avodart. The graph in my avator says there should not be a shed. if you are already shedding, it could take months for the shed to stop, but it should not trigger a big shed. many people on here get sheds and say it is normal, but that does not make any sense to me. I never go a shed. My hair just started getting darker.

desperateDavid

Reaction score
final decision

collegechemistrystudent said:
Thanks so much for the help, i feel i've finally got the answers i need.
just a couple more questions before i go out and buy the pills:

I had a look at your pics and the results look great.
I've checked the 'Norwood Scale' and i am probably somewhere in-between the 2 and the 3 (probably more closer to 2, but heading towards the 3 in the next year or so) My father is a 6/7 .
So, Regrowth isnt THAT important (would be nice though!), but stopping it now would be fine (i dont suffer SHEDDING) (its been a very gradual receed since about age 17/18 but will accelerate soon (like my 3 years-my- senior brother), so a little regrowth at the front would be nice but not so important.

SO, should I just start on Avordart or have a go with Propecia?

I'm thinking Avodart as its stronger and will give the best chance of stopping this in its tracks (i hope!!!)

Now you have an idea of where my hair is now and where its heading (my father) which would you recomend?

again, thankyou very much, your advice has given me the hope i was needing.

CCS

Reaction score
many people on here will argue with me advising this to a knew person, but I think you should try the avodart right away and skip the propecia. I'd only recommend propecia to people who have all their hair and are NW1 or maybe 1.5.

The only risk with ordering Avodart is that if you get side effects, which occure in i think 5% of men, compared to very few with propecia, you will have lost some money, and will have to wait another month before your finasteride arrives. however, if finasteride does not give you side effects, you will have the same problem, but will have some finasteride to last you until your dutasteride arrives.

I personally would order 2 strips of dutas for $27, use 2 per week for 3 weeks to see if you get side effects, and if not, order more. however, I am not yet sure if online drugs are real. If they are fake, you will pay with your hair and not know until you loose a lot. If you have the money, you should get a prescription for avodart or at least proscar to take with the dutas so you know that you are at least getting some protection.

Once you are settled in, i'd take 3 dutas per week and see if you get side effects from that. the odds are very slim.

it is a very safe drug. it can kill you only if you have prostate cancer and don't know about it, or if you have liver problems and don't know about them. there are blood tests for these rare conditions, which cost maybe $200.

yeah, go with the dutasteride. i am.

ecs

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
many people on here will argue with me advising this to a knew person, but I ..............
it is a very safe drug. it can kill you only if you have prostate cancer and don't know about it, or if you have liver problems and don't know about them. there are blood tests for these rare conditions, which cost maybe $200.

Is it really dangerous for someone who has subtle liver problems? Is it because dutasteride undergoes its chemical reaction in liver?
Kinda scary cause liver problems are usually sublte until it kill

desperateDavid

Reaction score
avodart

thanks alot collegechem, i will give it a try and report back with (hopefully) the good results ...........................

CCS

Reaction score
yeah, so can melanoma. I have many many moles of all shapes, different collors, and many sizes on my body. The derm said they are Ok. I hope I don't get melanoma. It can kill if you don't have the money to fight it hard if caught soon.

But I'll look up the liver stuff. i think it takes 6 months before their to be a reasonable amount of damage. I'll see if i can post some links.

furiousleader

Reaction score
Im defintly needin a good source on liver problems as for dutas/avodar side effects..becasuse not just balding issue that i have to worry about but as same as my haptits b virus presents in my liver..reallly not want to risk side effect issue from damaging my liver any further..same to propecia...any suggestion what else dht type 1, 2 blocker I should try ?

currently norwood 2.5 with minoxidil 5% , ac kit, nutral supplements.

desperateDavid

Reaction score
finasteride

collegechem,

i am having trouble finding a pharmacy that has Avodart in stock (most havent even heard of it) (i live in Thailand by the way!) so, i bought a strip of proscar and started taking 1.25m per day yesterday, while i am searching for Avodart. I expect i could get here somehwhere but I thought i should get on the finasteride straight away.

just a couple of q's:

i take salbutamol (inhaler) every day, can finasteride or dutasteride effect these, can it cause probs? I made an edjucated guess and thought it would be fine.
I also have the odd Valium and maybe a Xanax once in a while, could this also have an effect on the finasteride or dutasteride?

is 1.25 the dose i should be taking?and whats the best time to take it?

Many thanks once again, i await your words of wisdom

CCS

Reaction score
OK, first I'm about to do a google search for liver problems and drug intereactios.

I just googled hair genesis and want to report on it. The only semi- OK ingredients they use are oleic acid and saw palmentto, of which the oleic acid should have the strongest effect, but still a weak one. The the green tea extract and GLA might be healthy for skin but, but should be countered by the isopropyl alcohol. They should have used ethyl alcohol, and fatty acids from GLA, instead of GLA. Revivogen is a much better product than hair genesis. Hair genisis is a scam, given the claims of what it can do.

Back to the drug interactions. If you have a prescription, you should have asked your doctor about drug interactions. Also, you can ask a pharmacy to special order it if they don't have it in stock. You can ask a pharmacist if it has interactions with your meds. It is their job to know that stuff.

If you are overweight or drink a lot or are taking a lot of meds that are removed by the liver, extra work of metabolising dutasteride or finasteride might overwork your liver. You would need a test to know for sure.

Both drugs can make prostate cancer worse, but tent to prevent it in younger men.

I did many google searches on these drugs, and read many pages listing the drugs it does not interact with in tests, but so far the only pages I found said not to take it if you have prostate cancer or are allergic to preservatives. My search is slowed by the fact that there are so many search results that say "drug interactions", and when I click on them, they say "tell your doctor". As if only a doctor has the intelligence to read a report on drug interactions. It's like they think we are all little children and must be kept in the dark. Half the stuff they say contradicts what is in the manufacturer studies, such as when you can donate and if you should impregnate someone while taking it.

I'll do another search on those drugs. I'm not really qualified to do that since I don't have a subscription to many journals with that information. The information police want to keep us in the dark so doctors don't lose 90% of their business. My school has subscription to many journals, so I can probably get access there.

CCS

Reaction score
xanox

DRUG INTERACTIONS

The benzodiazepines, including alprazolam, produce additive CNS depressant effects when co-administered with other psychotropic medications, anticonvulsants, antihistaminics, ethanol, and other drugs which themselves produce CNS depression.

The steady state plasma concentrations of imipramine and desipramine have been reported to be increased an average of 31% and 20%, respectively, by the concomitant administration of alprazolam tablets in doses up to 4 mg/day. The clinical significance of these changes is unknown.

Drugs That Inhibit Alprazolam Metabolism Via Cytochrome P450 3A: The initial step in alprazolam metabolism is hydroxylation catalyzed by cytochrome P450 3A (CYP 3A). Drugs which inhibit this metabolic pathway may have a profound effect on the clearance of alprazolam (see CONTRAINDICATIONS and WARNINGS for additional drugs of this type).

Drugs Demonstrated to be CYP 3A Inhibitors of Possible Clinical Significance on the Basis of Clinical Studies Involving Alprazolam (caution is recommended during coadministration with alprazolam):

Fluoxetine: Coadministration of fluoxetine with alprazolam increased the maximum plasma concentration of alprazolam by 46%, decreased clearance by 21%, increased half-life by 17%, and decreased measured psychomotor performance.
Propoxyphene: Coadministration of propoxyphene decreased the maximum plasma concentration of alprazolam by 6%, decreased clearance by 38%, and increased half-life by 58%.
Oral Contraceptives: Coadministration of oral contraceptives increased the maximum plasma concentration of alprazolam by 18%, decreased clearance by 22%, and increased half-life by 29%.
Drugs and other substances demonstrated to be CYP 3A inhibitors on the basis of clinical studies involving benzodiazepines metabolized similarly to alprazolam or on the basis of in vitro studies with alprazolam or other benzodiazepines (caution is recommended during coadministration with alprazolam): Available data from clinical studies of benzodiazepines other than alprazolam suggest a possible drug interaction with alprazolam for the following: diltiazem, isoniazid, macrolide antibiotics such as erythromycin and clarithromycin, and grapefruit juice. Data from in vitro studies of alprazolam suggest a possible drug interaction with alprazolam for the following: sertraline and paroxetine. Data from in vitro studies of benzodiazepines other than alprazolam suggest a possible drug interaction for the following: ergotamine, cyclosporine, amiodarone, nicardipine, and nifedipine. Caution is recommended during the coadministration of any of these with alprazolam (see WARNINGS).

-----------

P450 3A (CYP 3A). I would start by googling these enzymes and dutasteride and finasteride, and seeing if they use them. I'm sure if can find that later. Right now I have to do some errands. Google them for me and if you can find a full length paper on them, give me the link. Or read the relevant parts yourself. But ask any pharmacist. They should at least know about finasteride interactions.

CCS

Reaction score
salbutamol

METABOLISM:

Studies have found peak plasma concentrations occur approximately 2-5 hours after inhalation and 2-2.5 hours after ingestion. Salbutamol is metabolized in the liver, mainly by conjugation to the inactive salbutamol-4'-0-sulphate. Salbutamol's plasma half life is reportedly 2.7-5 hours after oral administration. The half life has been indirectly estimated through urine excretion studies to be 3.8 hours after inhalation. Unchanged drug and metabolite are 72% excreted in the urine within the first 24 hours

USES: This drug relaxes the smooth muscle in the lungs and opens airways to improve breathing. It is used to treat asthma, chronic bronchitis, emphysema and to prevent exercise-related asthma.

SIDE EFFECTS: Dry mouth, irritated throat, dizziness, headache, lightheadedness, heartburn, loss of appetite, altered taste sensation, restlessness, anxiety, nervousness, trembling, and sweating may occur but should subside as your body adjusts to the medication. If these symptoms persist or worsen, inform your doctor. To relieve dry mouth, suck on (sugarless) hard candy or ice chips, chew (sugarless) gum, drink water or use saliva substitute. Inform your doctor if you experience: chest pain, pounding heartbeat, breathing difficulties. In the unlikely event you have a serious allergic reaction to this drug, seek medical attention immediately. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, severe dizziness, trouble breathing. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

PRECAUTIONS: Tell your doctor your medical history, especially of: an overactive thyroid, heart disease, high blood pressure, epilepsy, diabetes, drug allergies. This medication should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy. Discuss the risk and benefits with your doctor. This drug may be excreted into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.

DRUG INTERACTIONS: Tell your doctor of all prescription and nonprescription medications you use, including: beta-blockers (e.g., propranolol, timolol), all asthma medications, ephedrine, epinephrine, pseudoephedrine, antidepressants, MAO inhibitors (e.g., furazolidone, linezolid, phenelzine, selegiline, tranylcypromine), diuretics (e.g., hydrochlorothiazide). It is important to read the labels carefully on all over-the-counter medications, especially those used for colds, allergies, asthma or diets as they may contain ingredients mentioned above. Do not start or stop any medicine without doctor or pharmacist approval.

---------------

I googled the chemiscal structure of ephedrine to see if it is steroidal, and see if maybe finasteride or dutasteride could mimic it. But it is not steroidal at all.

desperateDavid

Reaction score
thanks

Your help and time is very appreciated collegechem,
I'm going to continue taking 1.25 finasteride for about 1month (until i get my duts)
who knows, i might even see a little regrowth.

u really do go the extra mile for someone u dont even know.

Thanks again