don't be scared of finasteride!!!!!

G

it seems everyone is posting negative things about finasteride. i have two close friends who used finasteride with nizoral and both had unbelievable results and any side effects went away in a couple months. i mean these guys have really really really thick hair and a great hairline. hundreds of thousands of people use the drug it just happens that you only hear about the negatives. most people who have great success have no need to post on the forum and don't......it's only the very few who don't get success that complain on this site. the FDA wouldn't put out a drug that is gonna f*** up more than a tiny amount of the users. i would try it for a year with nizoral and see if it works, chances are on your side it will. look at zak and cassin as prime examples, they had great success on the drug and we are lucky enough to have them continue posting on this site. i have been on it for a month and if i get great success i know i won't be stopping by hear nearly as much as i do. that's why you never hear great stories about it.

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
losing21 said:
the FDA wouldn't put out a drug that is gonna f*** up more than a tiny amount of the users

with all due respect, i disagree. even if only a "tiny amount of the users" gets "f***[ed] up," if you're one of those dudes, it sucks, and at that point, percentages become irrelevant to you. i don't blame you though for having the opposing viewpoint. i'm sure most people don't realize how shitty it is to have long-term problems from this stuff, unless they live through it.

just my humble opinion.

G

i just feel that we scare so many people away from a great product b/c all they see are the negative posts about it. no one ever posts anything great about it b/c once they have complete success they have no need to continue coming to this site. like i said, i feel for people who this drug has messed up, but the way things are thrown about on here it gives newbies the impression that the majority of people get these symptoms when in reality it is only a very tiny number.

Baller

Reaction score
I think I've been taking Propecia for a little over 2 months and only over the last week have I noticed sexual dysfunction and lowered testosterone and athletic ability. In the morning, I don't get the rock hard penis I got before and my erections just aren't as strong--not to mention my pathetic sex drive. I'm glad I don't have a girlfriend at this time. Will this improve at all?

In addition to my lowered sex drive, when I play basketball I notice that I just am not as pumped up or have as much energy as before. Anyone have any experience with what I am going through? Should I go get tests done to check my estrogen levels as everyone recommends? Thanks in advance.

Diddy

Established Member
Reaction score
baller - i actually had the opposite effects as you. I was overly pumped for a brief while. This would usually be the case as free testosterone increase by something like %17 (don't quote me on the exact %). Personally i think the first little while on propecia everyone will be messed up while adjusting. Three weeks in to propecia i was shooting blanks for about a week. Then it all went away, and since then i've had no probs. (knock on wood). I'd give it another 2 months, and then see if it's still there.

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
losing21 said:
i just feel that we scare so many people away from a great product b/c all they see are the negative posts about it. no one ever posts anything great about it b/c once they have complete success they have no need to continue coming to this site. like i said, i feel for people who this drug has messed up, but the way things are thrown about on here it gives newbies the impression that the majority of people get these symptoms when in reality it is only a very tiny number.

I don't want to be confrontational, I'm just wondering about your particular point of view. So you're saying that the potential benefits of Propecia outweigh the potential risks? IF Propecia can cause permanent damage in a small percenage of men, and I realize that no one can say for certain whether or not it does, doesn't this concern you? Are you really willing to take this chance and encourage others to do the same?

Go to alt.baldspot and do a search on "permanent side effects." There are guys there claiming to be sexually dysfunctional years after taking Propecia. Maybe they'll get better eventually. Maybe they won't. Maybe it's in their heads (although I doubt that it is, based on my own experiences). Maybe it's not. But I have trouble accepting that this doesn't concern other people.

I would appreciate your feedback since I'm trying to understand other people's take on this. Thanks and good luck.

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
Baller said:
I think I've been taking Propecia for a little over 2 months and only over the last week have I noticed sexual dysfunction and lowered testosterone and athletic ability. In the morning, I don't get the rock hard penis I got before and my erections just aren't as strong--not to mention my pathetic sex drive. I'm glad I don't have a girlfriend at this time. Will this improve at all?

In addition to my lowered sex drive, when I play basketball I notice that I just am not as pumped up or have as much energy as before. Anyone have any experience with what I am going through? Should I go get tests done to check my estrogen levels as everyone recommends? Thanks in advance.

Go check your free testosterone and estradiol levels. It certainly couldn't hurt. It's ALWAYS a good idea to keep an eye on things. Let us know how things pan out. Good luck.

Grantspots

Established Member
Reaction score
hair mchair said:
Go to alt.baldspot and do a search on "permanent side effects." There are guys there claiming to be sexually dysfunctional years after taking Propecia. Maybe they'll get better eventually. Maybe they won't. Maybe it's in their heads (although I doubt that it is, based on my own experiences). Maybe it's not. But I have trouble accepting that this doesn't concern other people.
Whenever we discuss this issue and I see the "maybes" listed as they are above, I can't help but think that one possibility is missing that should be included. And please, this not meant to be disrespectful in any way to those who have had serious side effects.

Maybe some people have undiagnosed, pre-existing conditions that may or may not be triggered or exacerbated by their use of finasteride.

For instance - I never knew I had a sensitive stomach until I discovered that aspirin aggravated it. I stopped taking aspirin but I still have the sensitive stomach - and thus I'm more acutely aware of the symptoms. Is this the fault of the aspirin?

jerry grant

G

hairmchair

regarding the people who have had permanent damage on finasteride that there is some underlying problem that when combined with finasteride caused these sexual side effects. the FDA is a highly regulated agency and would never put something on the market that would have such a huge effect on the majority of average male users. hair loss is an enourmous problem and hundreds of thousands of men most likely take finasteride......the FDA would never take that risk. i personally believe the problem started before you took the drug......even if you never had any sexual problems before. but lets say your body had extremly low levels of testosterone before finasteride and when it was deprived of your primary hormones such as DHT from the finasteride it had no other hormones to rely on for sexual drive. that is the only thing i can think of, is that your testosterone levels were incredibly low before you started. i don't know though, i am not an expert and i'm just trying to help. other than that it could be just in your head.

richlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: hairmchair

losing21 said:
regarding the people who have had permanent damage on finasteride that there is some underlying problem that when combined with finasteride caused these sexual side effects. the FDA is a highly regulated agency and would never put something on the market that would have such a huge effect on the majority of average male users. hair loss is an enourmous problem and hundreds of thousands of men most likely take finasteride......the FDA would never take that risk. i personally believe the problem started before you took the drug......even if you never had any sexual problems before. but lets say your body had extremly low levels of testosterone before finasteride and when it was deprived of your primary hormones such as DHT from the finasteride it had no other hormones to rely on for sexual drive. that is the only thing i can think of, is that your testosterone levels were incredibly low before you started. i don't know though, i am not an expert and i'm just trying to help. other than that it could be just in your head.

Didn't the FDA put Phen-Phen on the market? Didn't people Die?

This is just a less extreme case, that's all. finasteride does screw some people up big time. All depends on the person.. many do just fine with it. But I think everyone is affected a bit whether they realize it or not. Some people need DHT to function. I really think the best solution is to block DHT from attaching to your receptors via a topical anti-androgen (non systemic, and EFFECTIVE) .. rather than draining your entire body of a hormone you've had your entire post-pubescent life. Seems pretty dumb to eliminate a hormone from your entire body just so it doesn't touch your scalp.. pretty f*****g unelegant. ;)

TEST SUBJECT#1

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: hairmchair

losing21 said:

Actually your point about the FDA never allowing a harmful drug to pass is wrong!!! Anyone rememeber philidamide? ( I'm pretty sure I spelled it wrong), it produced "flipper" babies. Individuals born without arms or legs or both. It has happened before.

You also have to remember that hair loss therapy is a billion dollar a year business. ANYONE can be bought or sold with the right amount of zero's at the end of number, including the FDA. I wont go as far as to say that all the indidviduals that make up the orginization are crooks but when your dealing with human beings and money, ANYTHING is possible. Don't be so niave to think thats it cant happen.

I do still take Propecia though because I've been fortunate enough to see freinds actually grow back their hair and not complain about any side effects other than lowered libido, then again who the hell is horny 24 hours a day, seven days a week, every week of the month? If any of the guys I talked told me the suffered noticble negative side effects I wouldnt be taking it. We all agree that were all different, it would only make sense to pay attention to your body while on the drug and check the saftey of Propecia for yourself.

By the way, its interesting to note that although many guys on bodybuilding forums take Proscar to fight against hairloss and enlarged prostates, only a very very very small number of men have anything bad to say about the drug and side effects. Kinda the oppisite of a hair site.

Axon

Reaction score
You can't entirely place the blame on the FDA. They are not the one's prescribing the drugs like mad.

Example: Oxycontin. Oxycontin is a powerful pain killer used for severe pain - cancer patients, burn ward subjects, et cetera. Its maker, Purdue Pharmaceuticals, pushed the drug like crazy. People were taking it for broken fingers and getting addicted. Some people died. On and on.

I'd lay the blame there on Purdue's marketing, not that the FDA passed the drug. Controlled substances need more checks and balances.

timmerman

Reaction score
I'm glad that someone was strong enough to point out something positive about propecia. I've been on it for a little while now with no results. Sometimes, like today, it gets really discouraging and it's good to hear that some for some people it actually works.

richlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Axon said:
You can't entirely place the blame on the FDA. They are not the one's prescribing the drugs like mad.

Example: Oxycontin. Oxycontin is a powerful pain killer used for severe pain - cancer patients, burn ward subjects, et cetera. Its maker, Purdue Pharmaceuticals, pushed the drug like crazy. People were taking it for broken fingers and getting addicted. Some people died. On and on.

I'd lay the blame there on Purdue's marketing, not that the FDA passed the drug. Controlled substances need more checks and balances.

People were prescribed PhenPhen appropriately and died.. or else they wouldn't have pulled that drug and several others off the market..

Propecia is being prescribed to the right people.. ANYONE with male pattern baldness and over 18. There are alot of problems associated with draining your body of DHT and several other effects the drug may have (screwing with GABA and other chemicals ).

All I know is i'm more tired.. get sore alot easier when i play drums and run.. chest is much bigger in a non uniform way.. and several other problems.

Axon

Reaction score
richlocks said:
Axon said:

People were prescribed PhenPhen appropriately and died.. or else they wouldn't have pulled that drug and several others off the market..

Propecia is being prescribed to the right people.. ANYONE with male pattern baldness and over 18. There are alot of problems associated with draining your body of DHT and several other effects the drug may have (screwing with GABA and other chemicals ).

All I know is i'm more tired.. get sore alot easier when i play drums and run.. chest is much bigger in a non uniform way.. and several other problems.

Who would you place the blame on? Phen Fen was thrown around, believe me, I worked on that litigation. Let's not compare any other drugs to Fina anymore, and yes, I'm well aware that I did so myself.

As for Finasteride, well, the thing in me that mans up and doesn't cry like a little b**ch when sh*t happens says only you are accountable for your own actions. You took Finasteride of your own free will. Were you warned this stuff might happen? No, not 100% warned. Were you warned of some potential side effects?

Yes.

However, I support the side-effect people. I don't know if you're (not you specifically, RichLocks, side-effect reporters in general) telling the truth or not, and frankly, I think many things are exaggerated. People like to complain, and people LOVE to point the finger.

But I support ya'll anyway. Because in the end that's what these communities are about.

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
timmerman said:
I'm glad that someone was strong enough to point out something positive about propecia. I've been on it for a little while now with no results. Sometimes, like today, it gets really discouraging and it's good to hear that some for some people it actually works.

The sh*t works, that's why I got tits from it.It does exacly what it's suppose to do.Sometimes people get bad side effects and DON"T HAVE TO exaggerate them.My hairloss had stopped,the drug works,sh*t happens.Before & after(tit) pics don't lie.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Baller said:

I agree with Hair -- get your sh*t tested (particularly, DHT, free test., estradiol). Also, finasteride increases serum testosterone -- it doesn't decrease it. It decreases circulating levels of the stronger androgen and our collective best friend, DHT.

D.