Doing own skin fade with hair system

Jessejeager

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wear a system with a salon (total cover plus) I get it cut when it’s first on it lasts for about 3 months cos I wear a low density for realism, however I can’t afford the monthly skin fades because the salon is far away and it’s too expensive. I’m wondering if anyone has managed to learn how to do their own skin fades or maybe their GF/ mum have been able to do it (and it actually looks good)

I have eyebrow level fringe and short back and sides

thanks

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey JJ. I used to go to a normal barbers and tell them I'm wearing a system and not to cut it. They would pin it up and just give me the usual short back and sides. Once the barber gets to know you it'll become very easy. Used to cost me just £10 :) but now I cut my own bio hair, just a simple grade 12 - 18 usually on the back and sides so that's easy for me to do.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can I also ask what density you wear from TCP?

I'm at 70% but looking to drop further.

Jessejeager

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey JJ. I used to go to a normal barbers and tell them I'm wearing a system and not to cut it. They would pin it up and just give me the usual short back and sides. Once the barber gets to know you it'll become very easy. Used to cost me just £10 :) but now I cut my own bio hair, just a simple grade 12 - 18 usually on the back and sides so that's easy for me to do.
Very grateful for the repky! I go for a low skin fade so I don’t think I’ll be able to achieve that by myself I’ve tried and it’s super difficult I’ve found someone locally I’m gonna try there

Jessejeager

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can I also ask what density you wear from TCP?

I'm at 70% but looking to drop further.
I’m currently on 60%. It’s a nightmare isn’t it. Even at 60% it’s MASSIVE and so poofy. So I get 4 60% systems a year costs me £180 a month and then every 3/4 months I have to pay the additional £160 application fee. I really wanna go the DIY route because it’s so overpriced. Do you find 70% too much?

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
70% is too much in some ways and my next one will be a bit less. I have my own thinning scissors so after a while if I feel the hair is too much then I hack away to reduce the density.

I'm surprised 60% feels like too much! That sounds low to me, but I'm yet to try it. Lower densities also mean the system might not last as long, especially as they start shedding at around the 4 month mark. I can usually make my systems last anywhere from 5 to 7 months with reasonable care. Washing the system only every 2 or 3 weeks helps to elongate the lifespan.