Does your dad/grandad have more hair than you?

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
My dad has a good 22 years on me, he's an Norwood 4A with the classic nordic pattern forelock island. I have more hair than him, but only because I'm on finasteride. If I wasn't on finasteride, there's a good chance I'd be worse than him right now! He actually stayed an NW2 right until his 40s. My paternal grandfather is like a NW1, he's 88 the bastard! I definitely got a worse deal than them. My maternal grandfather started losing his hair much younger, mid 20s I think, he's been a 5A or so as long as I can remember. I'm guessing I take after him.

My dad certainly was more lucky than me, and my paternal grandfather is taunting me with his perfect hair! I'm glad I didn't go bald before my dad at least, but I'm betting a lot of guys have, it's be funny if it wasn't so sad!

bilboswaggins

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My dad currently still has less hair than me but his hair has stayed the same for 20 years. At my rate I will be passing him soon. However, I do have 2 uncles on my dad's side who are nw2 and 2 uncles on my mum's side who are nw1. Also all my cousins (35yr old+) are nw1 with the exception of one who is like Norwood 2. They really do not appreciate how fortunate they are. As crappy as I feel atm, I really cannot imagine how depressed I will be when I surpass everyone in my family on the Norwood scale.

I knew a guy in highschool in the yr above who was thinning during his senior year. I saw a picture of him on fb next to his dad last year. He had progressed to nw5 diffuse at 20 yrs of age while his dad was a thick nw2. male pattern baldness truly a lottery

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have uncles in their 30s, 40s and even 50s with better hairlines than me, I fell you man...

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah I find it amazing seeing guys in their early 60's rocking NW1-2's. Its amazing to think these guys have been rocking a full head of hair their entire life. Lucky bastards. Where is I see dozens of guys on their early 20s balding and experiencing serious recession. We had plumber come around the house the other day must be in his late 40's rocking a perfect head of hair, zero thinning and zero recession aka juvenile hairline and what's funny he has his son work for him, his son is balding..lol must be late 20's. I guess it was expected I would get to experience what is the magic of male pattern baldness, considering my dad is pretty much cross transitioning into nw7 with still a few hairs on the vertex. He is in his mid 50's been balding his whole life.

shreyaskini

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Both my maternal and paternal grandfathers are dead. My maternal grandfather had very thick hairs even in his late 80's. Because he couldn't go to the salon i used to shave his head and it was depressing to see my grandfather having a better hairline than mine. My paternal grandfather was a diffuse thinner and he lost all his hairs and became a NW7 in late 60's. I'm a diffuse thinner probably because of my paternal grandfather but the sad thing is that even he was having very thick hairs until he was in his 40's. Dad too had thick hairs and was a NW2 in his 30's. Now he's a NW5A. Again the Fking thing is they all had hairs during their prime but i'm losing it :(

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think of I was an NW1 and my son was going bald, I'd shave it off in solidarity, it amazes me to think that a father or grandfather can be so unsympathetic to a balding son or grandson. Then again, that's male pattern baldness, nobody cares unless it affects them... The poor NW5 at 20 kid next to his NW5 father though... Ouch!

shreyaskini

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
q859H2K.png

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
My father has diffused thinning in a NW6 pattern. My maternal grandfather is slick bald in a NW6 pattern; paternal grandfather was slick bald in a NW6 pattern.

Nadester

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dad was a NW2 till 45. Now he is diffuse thinning in a NW7 pattern. Still he will be over 50 before he goes fully bald.
Grandpa lost it after 50. Slick bald.
Paternal grandpa, after 40 when he was diagonised with UTI and went full bald when he was dead.
All my grandpa were receders and lost it after 50.
Just like shreyas, i wish for a way to keep it WITHOUT any drug. ITS NOT FAIR

Iopu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My dad is still a nw1 at 63. I was nw4 by 24. Had really good results from treatments tho. So it's not so bad now.

bilboswaggins

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The only picture I have seen of my biological father, was his prison mugshot at 45 years old (before he hung himself). He was slick bald. Im 32 NW2 (starting to diffuse).

It sucks because all of my brothers are NW1

My stepdad is NW1

My uncle's are NW1

My brother in laws are NW1

My wife's 68 year old dad is NW1

hairloss sucks crap at any age no doubt but count yourself lucky since you started to lose hair much later than most guys here
For example, it would be a godsend for me if I could have a full head of hair at least throughout uni
Also finasteride tends to work on diffuse hair loss of your kind

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have taken after my dad exactly in terms of my hair loss. I began losing hair at the same age as he did, and as far as I can tell, at the same pace also (hair loss onset at age 25-26, moderately aggressive progression). My dad is now 60 and is a NW6. He was about a NW4.5 at age 40. His two brothers are in their late 50s, and are each about a NW5. My paternal grandfather reached NW7 by his mid 60s.

My maternal grandfather kept most of his hair all his life (he was about a NW2.5 when he died in his 70s), but my two maternal uncles are both mostly bald. My mom's hair has thinned a lot too throughout her 40s and 50s.

I'm now 28, and I've managed to successfully treat my hair loss with dutasteride. If I had never treated my hair loss, I'm guessing I'd be a NW3 by now, with considerable diffuse thinning over my whole Norwood area. Instead, I'm a thick NW2, and my right temple is approaching a NW1.5.

idunnolol

Reaction score
My dad was horseshoe bald at 21. My maternal granddad died with 66 and a full head of hair. My paternal one, I dunno. No photos of him when he got older but full head of hair in his 20s, that much I know.

Billygekko

Reaction score
Dad shows zero signs of hair loss at 50, while I'm a nw2.5 at 25. It's seriously depressing when we go out together.