Does working out increase hair loss?

A

Administrator

This doesn't mean that it will affect your hair.

Admin

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Exercise can cause a temporary rise in testosterone levels which MAY slightly and temporarily increase DHT levels, but the effect on your hair is probably so small it's unmeasurable.

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hard number are needed, for instance if test rises 20%, for an hour long workout, then you could expect a ~1% increase in the rate of your hairloss.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thinning said:
Hard number are needed, for instance if test rises 20%, for an hour long workout, then you could expect a ~1% increase in the rate of your hairloss.

This would be extremely difficult to calculate and in any case there may be NO increase in hairloss even with an increase in testosterone.

Testosterone is the substrate and 5AR the enzyme converting it to DHT. Increasing substrate concentrations will generally increase the rate of reaction in this case the conversion of test to DHT.

However when all active sites on the enzyme are occupied, further increases in substrate concentration have no further effect on the rate of reaction, the reaction is now said to be at maximal velocity.

I suspect that if you have a very low enzyme concentration (5AR) due to using propecia or dutasteride then you are probably already at maximal reaction velocity since you have the same test as before but now very few 5AR enzymes with active sites to convert it to DHT.

So further increases in test may not increase DHT levels at all.

Extra test produced by working out could well be converted to estrogen before it is converted to DHT. There is some evidence that estrogen has protective effects on the hair follicle, so in fact working out and the increase in test it produces COULD actually help your hair.

fnarr

Reaction score
I think everyone should take what dermatologists say about anything with a massive pinch of salt. As a field, it tends to attract a certain type of doctor; it pays VERY well an it isn't the same level of commitment as, say, internal medicine, and is usually relatively routine in terms of the kinds of problems they see. So I suspect a lot of dermatologists don't keep as current as doctors in other fields; what they say shouldn't be taken as gospel. With the materials now availible on the internet it's incumbant on aptients to educate themselves to an extent...which I guess is part of the point of the forum :)

Of course there are some great dermatologists out there and I am by no means trying to tar them all with the same brush.

The benefits to us of exercise FAR outweigh the tiny effect on DHT that it may have, if any at all. Of course, in hair terms, bodybuilders who abuse anabolic steroids are another matter altogether.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I read on this forum once of a user who found running to lower DHT level in the body. He had the link in his sign... I wish I could find it :(

mon

Established Member
Reaction score
Matgallis said:
I read on this forum once of a user who found running to lower DHT level in the body. He had the link in his sign... I wish I could find it :(

I think he was called JesusFreak.

Scoiland

Established Member
Reaction score
Matgallis said:

ya i actually saw that the other day

drinkrum

Reaction score
Please put this dumb argument to rest. All you lazy, fat, and bald people that want another crutch to lean on can find something else. A billion things increase testosterone levels temporarily in the body. Eating a lot of animal fat (e.g., a steak), staring at a girl's rack, having sex, etc. Working out is just one of a long laundry list. Do any of these things affect hair loss significantly? NO.

D.

YoungAndThin

Established Member
Reaction score
It's hard to imagine something so good for your body and physical health could do your hair hair.

My hairloss hasn't sped up since I started working out regularly. It actually slowed down a little bit.

Axon

Reaction score
I didn't begin working out until I noticed I was balding. My hairloss has stopped since beginning my cutting regimen.

Coincidence? Not in my opinion.