Does Washing / Wetting Hair Multiple Times A Day Reduce Minoxidil Efficacy?

bowjsmrt1207

My Regimen
Reaction score
I walk up early and go for a run, then come back take a shower, apply minoxidil and head to work. After work, late in the afternoon, i go to the swimming pool for like and hour and then take a shower again and head home.

I've read that its better to apply minoxidil to a damp scalp instead of a dry scalp, so its recommended to wet the hair before applying minoxidil. The problem is that to do that at night, i would have to shower again in my home.

My concern is that taking 3 showers will damage my hair. I do not know if its a myth or not but i remember someone telling me that hair should only be washed 2-3 times a week.

I also do not know if the same damage can be done to the hair by just wetting it or damage is done by shampoo.

So what do you think i should do with the night minoxidil? Apply it to a scalp that has been dry for some hours or take another shower and apply it to a damp scalp?

Also, do you think that the water in the swimming pool can damage my hair? Im concerned about the chlorine. However, if that could harm hair then all swimmers would be bald so i do not know..

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
1) Minoxidil should be applied to a dry scalp. Applying it to a wet scalp can increase absorption systemically but in no way SHOULD it be applied to a wet scalp.

2) 4hrs is enough for most of the active ingredient to be absorbed if using the liquid, less if using the foam.

3) While chlorine is technically not GOOD for hair, it should not affect your hair responding to therapy.

hopeforhappiness

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1)Applying it to a wet scalp can increase absorption systemically

Isn’t this what you want ? Systemic side effects from a 5% topical minoxidil really aren’t going to be sh*t other than maybe causing some other hair to go into telogen ?

Oh god minoxidil on my wet scalp is going to age my face and give me a heart attack !!?!

Maybe it will just better absorb and permeate through the scalp increasing the benefits. Lots of people do this as well as wound the scalp prior to application for the same reason. Nothing bad happens to them...

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Isn’t this what you want ? Systemic side effects from a 5% topical minoxidil really aren’t going to be sh*t other than maybe causing some other hair to go into telogen ?

Oh god minoxidil on my wet scalp is going to age my face and give me a heart attack !!?!

Maybe it will just better absorb and permeate through the scalp increasing the benefits. Lots of people do this as well as wound the scalp prior to application for the same reason. Nothing bad happens to them...

You optimally want the drug to stay in the scalp/follicles not go systemic. Wet skin does help with absorption of topicals, but may also absorb them too quickly for instance or go in the body passed the target. The OP was under the impression he NEEDED to have a wet scalp prior to application.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I usually needed my hair wet when applying minoxidil, i have long hair and it would have been harder to apply to dry hair. I was using the foam and dermarolling.

Last edited: