does toppik/dermmatch bring your hairline down at all?

Sean68

Reaction score
im probably around a nw2.5 now and my hairline is retreating quicker than a battalion of italian soldiers. ive considered buying a concealer for a while now but i still have decent coverage i just want a slightly lower hairline. im not expecting any miracles but will using a concealer bring it down at all? ive considered the toppik hairline optimiser but i thought id see if anyone had any real experience of it
or any thoughts?

G

no it won't. i used toppik and i even used the hairline optimizer(that little plastic spiky thing I think you mean) a couple times. it helps at creating a more natural looking hairline but it won't lower it. it can def thicken the hairline up as well as the rest of your hair by a ton depending on how much you put in haha, but it can't lower your hairline because they're fibers so if you put the fibers below where your hairline is your forehead would just look dirty. same with somethin like dermmatch. not sure what kinda balder you are, whether you're diffuse or receder, but honestly, these products work best for diffusers like myself with relatively intact hairlines. the reason is that us diffusers don't have to create a natural looking hairline because we already have one. we just have to thicken up behind it and on top and if you still have some hair toppik does it great.but it can work for receders too as long as you take care not to try to lower your hairline because you won't be able to. again, all that plastic thing does is will make your hairline look more natural if you wear your hair pushed back or somethin, cause then the fibers will form a more random and natural pattern in the hairline for you.

Little pic of what toppik does:

5ptml.jpg

See, it won't lower your hairline, but will thicken up the hair behind it for sure. Make sure you get the right color though and I hope you aren't blonde because I've talked to blonde users of Toppik and they hate it. The dark colors(medium brown and dark brown and black) seem to blend a lot better, I guess because there's so many diff shades of blonde haha. I used dark brown fibres nd you can check out the color of my hair in some various threads on here so that can give you an idea of what you need.

if you are considering toppik, here's one thing i def recommend buying: the sprayer. my friend owns it and i tried it once after i stopped using toppik. it attaches to the top of your toppik bottle, and first thing to point out, it only works on the small(10.3) grams or large sized bottles(25 grams). It does not work on those giant sized ones(50 gram) because you have to pull the grate thing out of the toppik bottle and stick the sprayer on .

Here's a pic and link:

http://www.folica.com/Toppik_Spray_Ap_d ... fgl_000037

9227-000037_l.jpg

When I used to use toppik(prob used it 20 or 30 times total in my few months on here), I would waste so much by just dumping it on my head. So much of the fibers would get stuck in my existing hair and i'd end up using 4 or 5 times as much as i need. this is obviously expensive because if you do this you're running through a bottle every two months, easily, if not more like one a month.

The reason that spray thing kicks *** is because you can hold it above your thinning areas, like behind your hairline say, and use it in conjuntion with the hairline optimizer even to SPOT spray the toppik onto your head. this way you use only as much as you need and you can make some areas thicker than others to create a more natural look for example. It's great for mild to moderate crown thinning too because you can use a mirror or somethin and spray it right on.

Last thing i recommend to use with toppik is a holding spray, but no reason to buy the expensive sh*t that toppik sells along with the fibers. just buy a cheap bottle of suave holding spray or whatever and use as much as you n eed on your hair to keep the fibers in place. this helps if you get caught in rain or something because then they're a lot less likely to dislodge.

if i were you i'd def go with toppik or with nanogen which i hear is basically the same thing but by a different company, although i don't know if you can get a spray top add on for nanogen like you can with toppik. so i'd prob go with toppik.

i would wager that if your thinning is no worse than moderate(like not severe), you could probably make a toppik large size bottle last you 5 months if you use the spray applicator(that thing i posted above) along with it because you'll be saving yourself a lot of unnecessary extra fibres that will get caught in your hair. seeing as each bottle is only 40 bucks or so, at least in the US you could be using Toppik for $100 a year. And let me tell you, it's a LOT less detectable than any hairpiece on the market, especially if you still have some decent hair left. My girlfriend at the time couldn't even tell I was using it after I told her. The only way she was able to tell was by touching my hair and literally parting it in places like in the middle of my head and then she could see the fibres, but who is gonna do that? She couldn't tell by looking from 6 inches away so this stuff is gold imo. If I ever start to get really bald again I'm def using this.

And it's really nuts that your hairline is still receding on dutasteride. You're sure that it's not just hairline maturation? Er I see you're on it 3x a week. I would honestly take it every day if I were you. That's what I'd do and you'd probably see the recession halt if that's what it is.

s.a.f

Reaction score
JayMan said:
My girlfriend at the time couldn't even tell I was using it after I told her. The only way she was able to tell was by touching my hair and literally parting it in places like in the middle of my head and then she could see the fibres, but who is gonna do that?
According to CCS everybody. :mrgreen:
I think that pic you posted is a bit misleading I would'nt expect to get that kind of visual improvement. If thats a real result and not photoshopped to sell more then It probably does'nt look to good close up.

Re the optimiser I heard that they frequently clog up and you have to buy a new one.

G

s.a.f said:
JayMan said:
My girlfriend at the time couldn't even tell I was using it after I told her. The only way she was able to tell was by touching my hair and literally parting it in places like in the middle of my head and then she could see the fibres, but who is gonna do that?
According to CCS everybody. :mrgreen:
I think that pic you posted is a bit misleading I would'nt expect to get that kind of visual improvement. If thats a real result and not photoshopped to sell more then It probably does'nt look to good close up.

Re the optimiser I heard that they frequently clog up and you have to buy a new one.

saf you know me and that i don't sell crap. i can tell you that toppik is the real deal. if you slather that sh*t on and still have a decent hairline you can seriously look like elvis. I'll put toppik in my hair sometime soon and take a couple pics and then you'll see what I'm saying. I literally look like an NW1 with ELVIS THICK HAIR instea dof like a NW1.5 with average thickness hair in most places and slightly thin in front. Plus the added bulk of the fibers in my hair enable me to pull off hairstyles that I couldn't do without it.

toppik is way way way better than any hairpiece i've ever seen, and a lot more explainable. how many people know fibres exist and sh*t? how many people know that hairpieces exist? haha.

you may be confusing the optimizer with teh applicator. the optmiizer is the plastic bristly thing. it is washable. the applicator is the spray thing and it can also be rinsed out. even if it breaks though, it's only like $20. if you get a year's worth of use out of it then that's fine, because it saves you way more than that in toppik costs. it's like being able to use a paint gun instead of a paint bucket, just firing at al the places you see scalp till they're covered, then combing your hair back to disperse the fibers. then you can do whatever you want with it, and it mostly stays in until your next wash. i've gone 5 days without washing my hair before, like I would put toppik in on a monday morning after shampooing and no water or shampoo would touch my hair until saturday, and during those 5 days, i'd say 75% of the fibers stayed in my hair. The rest fell out gradually from walking around, only trace, traec amounts on my pillow which just makes it look a little dirty, but it washed out. I'd say 95% of the fibers stayed in over the first two days. ANd it's a lot easier than a hairpiece. When I used to use the toppik without the spray thing it took me about 5 minutes. THen when i used it with teh sprayer it only took me a minute and a half to get my hair the way i wanted with toppik. that's nothing.

johngreek

Reaction score
There is a way to unclog the spray optimizer . Softly Blow in with your mouth ! ( carefully wash your mouth afterwards )
Mine cloged 4 - 5 times when i first bought it , but for the last few months works like a charm!!

Sean68

Reaction score
yeah thats what I thought. ah well. thanks for that jayman.

G

hair today gone tomorrow said:
jayman...have you ever used dermmatch?

no and i never would. i've seen people with it on and theyve showed me their scalp and it was colored. all that sh*t does in my opinion is paint your scalp to match your hair. it doesn't allow you to do styles that require thicker hair like toppik does because toppik actually adds bulk to your hair. i guess this makes dermmatch more of a concealer technically.

i would def use toppik over dermmatch.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
JayMan said:
hair today gone tomorrow said:
jayman...have you ever used dermmatch?

no and i never would. i've seen people with it on and theyve showed me their scalp and it was colored. all that $#iT does in my opinion is paint your scalp to match your hair. it doesn't allow you to do styles that require thicker hair like toppik does because toppik actually adds bulk to your hair. i guess this makes dermmatch more of a concealer technically.

i would def use toppik over dermmatch.

yah but supposedly dermmatch works better along the hairline...ive never used either i was just wondering.
I know CCS has used dermmatch and he raved about it.