Does Topical spironolactone increase testosterone levels?

Dani_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the question...please help

Does it reduce both Testosterone and DHT levels or is it a blocker at the receptors

SoThatsLife

Established Member
Reaction score
It lowers testo if you take it orally, but it works like a AR blocker if used topical.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
SoThatsLife said:
It lowers testo if you take it orally...

It may depend on the dose. It might actually raise it at low doses, but lower it at higher doses.

Dani_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan, what about topically?

What do you think of a 2% solution used daily, would this increase the Conc. of Test/DHT?

treadstone

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think topical spironolactone affects systemic DHT levels, since its primarily absorbed locally.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dani_uk said:
Bryan, what about topically?

What do you think of a 2% solution used daily, would this increase the Conc. of Test/DHT?

You don't specify exactly what you mean, but I'm going to assume that you're talking about systemic effects. Like treadstone said, topical spironolactone isn't absorbed systemically to any significant extent.

Dani_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan,

Sorry about that. Let me rephrase the question....

Would a 2% spironolactone solution, used daily, be effective in the fight against hairloss (that includes reducing the relevant testosterone and DHT concentrations)?

As I understand an increased concentration of testosterone can also damage hair, correct? If that is the case, then I was hoping to know if the daily 2% spironolactone topical application would be effective against both testosterone and DHT?

Hope that can be answered now....

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dani_uk said:
Bryan,

Sorry about that. Let me rephrase the question....

Would a 2% spironolactone solution, used daily, be effective in the fight against hairloss...

It should help a little, although spironolactone certainly isn't the best topical antiandrogen. It's not as effective as, say, RU58841. Here's a scan of the Italian study which claimed to find benefits for male pattern baldness from topical spironolactone:

http://www.geocities.com/bryan50001/spiro2.htm

Dani_uk said:
...(that includes reducing the relevant testosterone and DHT concentrations)?

I'm still not clear what you mean. Are you talking about SYSTEMIC changes in testosterone and DHT, as a result of systemic absorption of spironolactone? Or are you talking about a "local" effect only, where topical spironolactone is actually applied?

FYI, so-called "pure" antiandrogens taken systemically (orally, for example) will raise systemic levels of testosterone and DHT, they won't reduce them. That's because the brain "sees" less androgenic stimulation, so it sends the chemical signals to the testes that make them start producing more testosterone. It's a natural balancing act on the part of the brain, which attempts to counteract the effect of antiandrogens! :)

But spironolactone is by no means a "pure" antiandrogen. One of its other natural abilities is to interfere with the chemical synthesis of testosterone, which is completely separate from its antiandrogenic property. That's why spironolactone in large enough oral doses can LOWER testosterone (and DHT) levels. What happens at smaller oral doses, however, is anybody's guess. Which effect wins out? Do testosterone levels go UP (because of the antiandrogenic effect), or do they go DOWN (because spironolactone interferes with testosterone synthesis), or do they stay about the same, with the opposing effects roughly balancing each other? :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Toyboy said:
spironolactone has not even been proven effective topically.

There are at least two published studies of spironolactone's beneficial effect on hair loss, and one that hasn't been published.

Toyboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Toyboy said:
spironolactone has not even been proven effective topically.

There are at least two published studies of spironolactone's beneficial effect on hair loss, and one that hasn't been published.

Topical spironolactone? If so,show us a link.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Toyboy said:
Topical spironolactone? If so,show us a link.

I already did. In a previous post in this same thread. You can read the full contents of the Italian study of topical spironolactone for male pattern baldness at that link I posted.