Does Tight Scalp Theory Of Baldness Holds Water?

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Men with baldness often have tight scalp over the head. It is a very common finding. The scalp tension theory says that chronic scalp tension due to contraction of head muscles attached to the galea beneath the scalp increases sensitivity of androgen receptors through upregulation of the HIC 55 ,coactivator of androgen sensitivity. I myself have tough tight scalp on the top head.
Some researcher like rob from perfect hair health has been emphasized on this frequently. Do you think there is cause and effect relationship between scalp tension and baldness? Or all people have tight scalp on the top?
I am currently on scalp massage regimen only and I want to ask if I massage my head muscles like frontalis ,temporalis and occiptalis thrice a day to ralax them ,would it loosens the scalp and would have some effect on my hairline? Thanks.

Naja

My Regimen
Reaction score
If this theory were true, why would men and women with Androgenetic Alopecia experience a different pattern of hair loss?

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
If this theory were true, why would men and women with Androgenetic Alopecia experience a different pattern of hair loss?
There is study where people with male pattern baldness were injected botox in scalp to relive muscle tension and they grew 20% hairs in a year. That was astounding. Researchers concluded that scalp tension do play a major role if not then these result would not have came.

MeDK

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5782443/
See the before and after photos. If DHT was sole cause of hairloss then this procedure wouldn't have grown hairs.

doesn't the study write about blood flow ?

Injection of botulinum toxin relaxes the muscle, which reduces pressure on the musculocutaneous and perforating vasculature, thereby potentially increasing the blood supply and transcutaneous pO2. This increased blood flow can also lead to washing out of accumulated DHT, thereby reducing the signal for minituarization of hair follicle

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
doesn't the study write about blood flow ?

Injection of botulinum toxin relaxes the muscle, which reduces pressure on the musculocutaneous and perforating vasculature, thereby potentially increasing the blood supply and transcutaneous pO2. This increased blood flow can also lead to washing out of accumulated DHT, thereby reducing the signal for minituarization of hair follicle
So relaxing scalp tension should help,isn't it?

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
When you relax, do you increase or decrease your blood flow ?
Relaxing muscles reduces tension on scalp which increases blood flow.less oxygen environment favors testosterone to dht conversion and more oxygen favour T to estradiol conversion(many researchers says this). I think tight scalp is reason why dht increase in balding scalp.

MeDK

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Relaxing muscles reduces tension on scalp which increases blood flow.less oxygen environment favors testosterone to dht conversion and more oxygen favour T to estradiol conversion(many researchers says this). I think tight scalp is reason why dht increase in balding scalp.

But it doesn't make sense to me. How can there be an increase of blood flow when something is relaxing?

If I had to make an uneducated guess on the whole botox study, I would say its a question about the body fighting the botox, it is a poison. and therefore increase of blood flow.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Mechanistically, the scalp behaves like a drum skin with tensioning muscles around the periphery. These muscle groups—the frontalis, occipitalis, and periauricular muscles and to a minor degree the temporalis—can create a “tight” scalp when chronically active. Because the blood supply to the scalp enters through the periphery, a reduction in blood flow would be most apparent at the distal ends of the vessels, specifically, the vertex and frontal peaks. Areas of the scalp with sparse hair growth have been shown to be relatively hypoxic, have slow capillary refill, and to have high levels of dihydrotestosterone.[SUP]4[/SUP]
Conceptually, Botox “loosens” the scalp, reducing pressure on the perforating vasculature, thereby increasing blood flow and oxygen concentration. The enzymatic conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone is oxygen dependent. In low-oxygen environments, the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone is favored; whereas in high-oxygen environments, more testosterone is converted to estradiol.[SUP]4[/SUP] Blood flow may therefore be a primary determinant in follicular health. Strategically placed Botox injections appear able to indirectly modify this variable, resulting in reduced hair loss and new hair growth in some men with androgenetic alopecia.

#1May 16, 2013 posted on this forum,it is a study done by researchers.

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is an interesting topic. But it does little to grow new hair. The scalp can look like the pavement of an interstate highway—hard as a rock— but if hairs start to grow you won’t care or notice this. Certainly massage is always beneficial.
Botox to loosen scalp. As we know women get most of Botox. I read a study with photos showing women who got injections of Botox in forehead were losing hairs in hairline. The Botulism venom was killing some follicles.
So that persuaded me from experimenting with that idea.

MadeUThink

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hard scalp is a major issue with many sufferers. Assuming that is the case, Botox is limited in its effectiveness. It may relieve pressure but it does nothing to address what's causing the tight/hard scalp. But the experiment and results are useful in determining if hard scalp is a contributing factor and it proves it is definitely a factor in some people.

Koupka

My Regimen
Reaction score
Again, and again, environnement is the main culprit :

Our study was designed to measure the transcutaneous PO2 of the scalp to determine if there was a relative microvascular insufficiency and associated tissue hypoxia in areas of hair loss in male pattern baldness. A controlled prospective study was performed at Butterworth Hospital, Grand Rapids, Michigan. Eighteen nonsmoking male volunteers aged 18 years and older were studied. Nine men had male pattern baldness (Juri degree II or III), and nine were controls (no male pattern baldness). Scalp temperature and transcutaneous PO2 were obtained at frontal and temporal sites in each subject. Peripheral circulation was assessed from postocclusive transcutaneous PO2 recovery time by means of maximum initial slope measurements. Statistical significance was assessed at p < 0.05. There was no significant difference in scalp temperature between male pattern baldness subjects and controls. Temporal scalp blood flow was significantly higher than frontal scalp blood flow in male pattern baldness subjects; however, there was no significant difference in controls. Transcutaneous PO2 was significantly lower in bald frontal scalp (32.2 +/- 2.0 mmHg) than in hair-bearing temporal scalp (51.8 +/- 4.4 mmHg) in men with male pattern baldness. In controls, there was no significant difference in transcutaneous PO2 of frontal scalp (53.9 +/- 3.5 mmHg) and temporal scalp (61.4 +/- 2.7 mmHg). Transcutaneous PO2 also was significantly lower in the frontal scalp of male pattern baldness subjects (32.2 +/- 2.0 mmHg) than in either frontal or temporal scalp of controls (53.9 +/- 3.5 mmHg and 61.4 +/- 2.7 mmHg, respectively). There is a relative microvascular insufficiency to regions of the scalp that lose hair in male pattern baldness. We have identified a previously unreported tissue hypoxia in bald scalp compared with hair-bearing scalp.
https://europepmc.org/abstract/med/8628793

This form of alopecia is still a challenging disease that affects both genders and is characterized by hair loss in a specific pattern of the scalp [66]. In 2010, 50 male subjects (19-57 years old) with Norwood/Hamilton ratings II-IV were enrolled and treated with 150 U of Botox® (5 U per 0.1 mL saline) into the muscles surrounding the scalp, including frontalis, temporalis, periauricular, and occipitalis muscles for a total of 30 injection sites. The primary outcome measure was a change in hair count in a fixed 2-cm area and the secondary outcome was hair loss, measured with the count of loose hair on the pillow [67]. Forty subjects completed the study period with a statistically significant increase in hair counts (18%) at week 48. The hypothesis that sustains the use of BoNT-A in androgenetic alopecia links with the low-oxygen environment in areas of the scalp with sparse hair growth. Blood flow may therefore be a primary determinant in follicular health, and Goldman et al. [68] demonstrated a microvascular insufficiency to the regions of the scalp that lose hair in male pattern baldness. BoNT-A injected into the scalp reduces pressure on the perforating vasculature with an increasing blood flow and oxygen concentration. Therefore, the enzymatic conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone is oxygen dependent, so where oxygen rate is low, this conversion is favored; whereas in high-oxygen environments, more testosterone is converted to estradiol.

https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/452341

RU serious

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My skin is most loose on my temples and they were the first to go, also I have thinning at the sides

Koupka

My Regimen
Reaction score
My skin is most loose on my temples and they were the first to go, also I have thinning at the sides

that's simply because you've loose subcutaneous fat in your temples, the skin is less stiff, thus more loose.
And loose scalp doesn't mean there isn't pressure, and that the blood flow is optimal.