Does styling gel contribute to hair loss ?

misterium

Reaction score
I am still lucky enough to use hair gel.. 26 and thinning on the crown/vertex.. but about to start month 3 on Propecia (No side effects :) )

I use an alochol free type styling Gel by Loreal called "Invisigel". I like to slick my 1950's Italian greaser style hair back and put it up a bit at the bangs. :freaked2:

Is it really a good idea to do this gel styling or will it add to my thinning ?

Hpower

Established Member
Reaction score
I also use hair gel, and I ask my hair dresser the same thing. He told me the only thing that is damaging is cheap hairsprays that contain plastics, but any product must be washed out within 24 hours of use. Cheap products form a layer on the scalp and can block pores or worse.

I use Nioxin once a weak to completely clean my scalp of any residue.

misterium

Reaction score
What am I supposed to buy something from Nioxin ? I don't have any residue or build-up to clean, my regular shampoos are fine.. It's just I don't want to make a bad move and continue to use a product (gel) that may harm my hair.

I just really want to know more about better hair styling products..

I mean I use alcohol free gel, I figure that it's 'safe' and won't contribute to my hair thinning but I really don't know..

Just lookin for some feedback.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
i didnt think using gel would do anything bad? after all, its from the follicles that the issue of hairloss arises.

could someone else, an experienced user, clarify this please.

Deaner

Reaction score
Who gives a sh*t if it blocks pores or whatever, hahaha, it's not pores we're worried about, it's follicles.

Edit: STOP MAKING STUFF UP! Hair will make it through whatever thin layer of residue is on your scalp.

misterium

Reaction score
Thanks guys...

Just wanted to get some clarity on this issue cause I'm not sure about some things..

I mean they make alcohol free gel (which I use), so I figure the stuff with alcohol is not good for hair... I guess that just means it can be overly dry.

absmon

Established Member
Reaction score
I have also for sometime been wanting to use a hair gel just to bring some life to the hair as frequent nizarol use does the opposite (makes it dull). But, I haven't had the courage to do it because I have for some reason associated hair gel with hairloss (i.e. it increases the speed of hairloss). I was wondering whether couvre (I don't need to use couvre to make it look thicker or anything) has a gel effect to the hair because I read it comes in gel form. The reason I am thinking about purchasing this is because it has received good reviews in which it clearly says it is not harmful to the hair.

G

It depends on what you mean by hair loss if you use hair gel. It's common sense that if you use hair gel then yes, you will lose some hair because of the sticky nature of the gel. Your hand movements will pull out some hairs.

It certainly won't combine with DHT and make your hair loss worse from a genetic point of view. To avoid gel on the scalp don't apply the gell to the root of the hair. Just rub very gently over the tips of the hair for best results. This is what I do and the results look great.

Hpower

Established Member
Reaction score
Deaner said:
Who gives a sh*t if it blocks pores or whatever, hahaha, it's not pores we're worried about, it's follicles.

Edit: STOP MAKING STUFF UP! Hair will make it through whatever thin layer of residue is on your scalp.

??????

Cheap hairspray can form a plastic layer on the scalp causing the hair not to grow. It may be temporary or perminent? Ask any derm, cheap spray is unhealthy for hair and scalp.

Rawbbie

Established Member
Reaction score
Gel has nothing to do with hairloss.

Stop looking for excuses. Your hairloss is caused by male pattern baldness.

If you continue to do nothing about it because you think it "might" be gel, then you're losing precious time which should be used to get yourself some Propecia.