Does smoking cigs make propecia less affective?

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't think it affects propecia but it definitely isnt good for your hair as smoking reduces blood circulation and prevents nutrients getting to the hair follicle.

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Really??

Based on what evidence??

Another thing:

Really blood flow to the follicle is that important??

I´ve read that head is the most irrigated zone of the body. Just see how many blood flows from a cut in the head.

I think male pattern baldness has got a much sutile bio-chemical cause than "blood flow".

Becouse of that (and follicule ability to come back to life), I also think that it could be developed a substance (or conjuction) that would be "The Cure" over HM.

Maybe in 5 years :lol:

everysixseconds

Established Member
Reaction score
continue smoking and perhaps you may die of say ohh i dunno...lung cancer or something before all your hair falls out.

bigd

Reaction score
I dont think smoking matter. My dad smoked 2 packs of red a day and had more hair than buffalo do.

SE-freak

Reaction score
bigd said:
I dont think smoking matter. My dad smoked 2 packs of red a day and had more hair than buffalo do.

This is no argument. We are talking about people with dht sensitive follicles here. Do not generalize.

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
bigd said:

This is no argument. We are talking about people with dht sensitive follicles here. Do not generalize.

I, too, am talking about DHT sensitive follicles when I say that my dad never lost a hair that didn't come back until years after he quit smoking (which he did 16 years ago).

You don't really have an argument either, so just because smoking is bad for general health does not make it bad for your hair. Do no generalize.

SE-freak

Reaction score
silkeysmooth said:
SE-freak said:
bigd said:

I, too, am talking about DHT sensitive follicles when I say that my dad never lost a hair that didn't come back until years after he quit smoking (which he did 16 years ago).

You don't really have an argument either, so just because smoking is bad for general health does not make it bad for your hair. Do no generalize.

What is this? I did not post an argument here- I just debunk one.
If you think that arguments like" hey my dad did not lose a strand" or " I know a construction worker that eats concrete and has regrown" or " tennis players go bald" or "p**rn stars do not bald" do not lack ground then by all means keep posting so. One man's example cannot constitute an argument.

ps.Whatever kills you as a whole, kills your hair too, silkey. The fact that one man dies with no myopia after years of work in front of a screen does not mean that it does not play a role in your eye's health. If you have trouble quitting smoking that is another story altogether. <---that was an argument.

Axon

Reaction score
Smoking, like masturbation, exercise, and herion, does little to nothing to your hair.

I've never smoked a cigarette, have jerked off approximately 24-30 times a year since I was 16, and didn't exercise a day of my life until I was 22.

I've been balding since I was 19. Go figure.

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
ps.Whatever kills you as a whole, kills your hair too, silkey. The fact that one man dies with no myopia after years of work in front of a screen does not mean that it does not play a role in your eye's health. If you have trouble quitting smoking that is another story altogether. <---that was an argument.

Actually, the only real argument was your first statement:"whatever kills you as a whole, kills your hair too." I seriously doubt that you can, but I'd love to see you bring some evidence to corroborate this statement. And anecdotal evidence doesn't count, since by your own standards such evidence is unacceptable.

So why don't you just say it outright what you think? Here I'll go first: I do not believe that smoking contributes significantly to hairloss, IF at all.

Your turn.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i suspect smoking may help keeping the immune system from diverting its attention to hair follicles completely. Challenge my theory.

SE-freak

Reaction score
silkeysmooth said:
SE-freak said:

Actually, the only real argument was your first statement:"whatever kills you as a whole, kills your hair too." I seriously doubt that you can, but I'd love to see you bring some evidence to corroborate this statement. And anecdotal evidence doesn't count, since by your own standards such evidence is unacceptable.

So why don't you just say it outright what you think? Here I'll go first: I do not believe that smoking contributes significantly to hairloss, IF at all.

Your turn.

If you are requesting a study I cannot provide one.

But, yes, I can say it outright: I can tell a smoker from a nonsmoker from his skin. If skin damage is damage to hair too(as follicles are specialized skin cells) then I guess smoking could worsen the looks of your hair-yes.

I am no Bryan or S.Foote. I didn't post to prove a correlation, I posted to disagree with the no-correlation POSITIVE argument.

SE-freak

Reaction score
chewbaca said:
i suspect smoking may help keeping the immune system from diverting its attention to hair follicles completely. Challenge my theory.

yeah, so I guess poor diet and kissing your sick mates could help too. :)

SE-freak

Reaction score
Axon said:
Smoking, like masturbation, exercise, and herion, does little to nothing to your hair.

I've never smoked a cigarette, have jerked off approximately 24-30 times a year since I was 16, and didn't exercise a day of my life until I was 22.

I've been balding since I was 19. Go figure.

- if you smoked, your hair could be worse.

- 24-30 times a year??? WHAT???? this is my monthly score.

bigd

Reaction score
SE you don't make a very good argument. I know people who smoke and they have beautiful skin. You can't always tell. If really only comes down to the most important uncontrolled varibiable. Genetics.

SE-freak

Reaction score
I do not believe in fate.

You are probably right about my arguments though. I am not sure about anything any more.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bigd said:
SE you don't make a very good argument. I know people who smoke and they have beautiful skin. You can't always tell. If really only comes down to the most important uncontrolled varibiable. Genetics.

if your genetics show u are resistant to Aids so be it rules.
If yr genetics show that u are born with fair skin, if u burn it and it gets dark , when it regorws fair again.

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
I think this whole genetics thing gets WAY too much credit.

I agree that it has a significant influence on the way you are shaped as a person both physically and mentally, but it certainly isnt the end-all-be-all cause of the course of your life. I think, especially now, we are discovering that humans are actually very malleable.

I'll stand by my opinion that smoking is bad for your hair. And if it isnt, who cares, its still bad for you. Frankly, you should quit.