Does Shedding Vellus Hairs Mean Regrowth Or Loss?

Slid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So I started taking finasteride about three weeks ago,and im not shedding anything except these small vellus hairs.Am I losing them or are they going to be replaced by stronger hairs?Ive been using minoxidil for 5 months aswell.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have no idea about that, but shedding thick terminals with the white bulb on the end is usually a bad sign.

Slid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have no idea about that, but shedding thick terminals with the white bulb on the end is usually a bad sign.
Yeah thats why its weird...no terminals at all,even when i scratch my head or in the shower,only these small vellus hairs.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
My derm said losing thick terminals was a GOOD sign. SHE (I know) suggested it was indication of Telogen Effluvium and they would grow back.

Not sure what the right answer is but wish someone had a useful guide to hair indicators and shedding.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
My derm said losing thick terminals was a GOOD sign. SHE (I know) suggested it was indication of Telogen Effluvium and they would grow back.

Not sure what the right answer is but wish someone had a useful guide to hair indicators and shedding.

When I was on hormonal medications for hypothyroidism I would shed a bunch of these thick terminals and they never came back until I stopped the medication because the dose was bad or some sh*t, but either way when you lose a bunch of thick terminal hair it's rarely a good thing. It can decimate your hair status very quickly.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know that’s exactly what happened to me on thyroid meds. My guess is they never came back or tried to come back but were subjected to DHT normal once slow AA. It took me from a dense NW0 to a diffuse NW6 in under two years.

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure really.

For me it never recovered, but that was on Minoxidil covering that area specifically so it could very well mean regrowth but I'm not sure that is what finasteride is supposed to do really. Killing of hairs and regrowing new better ones is what you take minoxidil for. Finasteride is better at keeping what you have.

Slid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure really.

For me it never recovered, but that was on Minoxidil covering that area specifically so it could very well mean regrowth but I'm not sure that is what finasteride is supposed to do really. Killing of hairs and regrowing new better ones is what you take minoxidil for. Finasteride is better at keeping what you have.
Its not that im going to recover or not...because those hairs really make no difference in my hair density,they are really thin.I hope that they will grow back thicker but at the same time I am happy that they are the ones that are falling out instead of thick terminal ones.I can post a picutre so you can see,they are really thin and small(they are all the same size)