Does Seb Dermatitis cause hariloss?

scud666

Established Member
Reaction score
does this condition cause hairloss or just dandruff? i'm losing my hair ever since my hair started getting super oily one day followed by excessive itching. from that day on my hair became really soft and limpy along with ALOT of dandruff. i'm also starting to thin and lose my hair. can Seb Dermatitis do cause my hair to thin up?

totaldispHAIR

Established Member
Reaction score
Funny you should ask that...most "medical" doctors say "no", seb derm doesn't cause hairloss. Read all the frickin chat boards and tons of hairloss sufferers have seb derm. Coincidence? I think not. Personally, my hairloss didn't start until I got seb derm.

Now, if you're open to non-allopathic views, seb derm usually is a reflection of something else that's going on in your body. Cure the seb derm topically from the outside and usually it comes back. Seb derm happens when you produce sebum, an oily substance on your scalp. Read the following post, it's very interesting: http://www.keratin.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4778

Also check out askwaltstollmd.com, he talks about seb derm in greater detail and healing from the inside-out.

scud666

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah, my derm said the same too. he said ppl with ingrown hair have problems eliminating them, thus "how could "some oil, block your hair from growing." i did a microscopic scan of my scalp. BOY do i have oily hair!

do u think Nizoral will get rid of the condition? its funny how i acted so late. I had a dandruff and itching problem since 3 months. what i learned from a ite is its normal and that its just shedding the scalp's skin. i thought my itching scalp came from me working in my company's factory (thats probably where i got my parasite/fungus!). it wasn't till asked my mom and she told to get it looked at. so here i am today, out to buy some nizroal or head and shoulders. can u recommend which brand is the best? if nizoral, is 1% or 2% better? thanks!

totaldispHAIR

Established Member
Reaction score
If you've got a derma and health coverage, just call him and ask for a prescription of 2% nizoral. I'm really surprised that he didn't prescribe you anything--what did he say when he looked at your dandruff and itching scalp???

The other thing I use is Loprox (also prescription) that's supposed to heal you if you have an infection. What happens is the seb derm makes your skin more susceptible to infections which can complicate the seb derm. It's a vicious cycle.

When I started out, I was told to use Nizoral every day for a week. Then we added in the Loprox. Now that things are better but not quite gone, I do Nizoral, day off, Loprox, day off, shampoo with salycilic acid, repeat.

Neutrogena T-Gel or T-Sal are good to use, but start off by calling your derma and tell him to do his frickin' job and get you some medicated shampoo! It'll be more effective if you start off with that first.

scud666

Established Member
Reaction score
the place i went was a total scam. the lady was more of a sales lady than a derm. she said i have male pattern baldness... i'm a guy btw. reason i'm here asking questions is because as soon as i write on the men's forum, they'll say i have male pattern baldness.

my hair continues to itch after using Nizroal 1% yesterday. but less itching. but my head seems to have less hair each day regardless. i'm really hoping my hairloss it due to my scalp and not male pattern baldness.

totaldispHAIR

Established Member
Reaction score
The guys on the male forum have tons of info; even though you're afraid of hearing it's male pattern baldness, would you want to limit yourself from obtaining knowledge on how to slow it down if that's what it really is? Bruce Lee has had a lot of success in reversing his loss, and shares his information freely.

Keep up with the Nizoral every day for a week and then alternate with the other shampoos. Seb Derm is really stubborn and can take several months to clear up. You may want to get an "official" diagnosis--remember, this is just a chat board and we're all offering opinions and guesses on what you may have, but a derma is the one person who can really clarify for you what's going on (and skip the hair loss club for men type of places, they're jacked up and only into making $$$).

scud666

Established Member
Reaction score
hey, thanks! i guess u're right. i don't want it to be male pattern baldness so bad i try to avoid the men's site.

one question. how does seb derm hairloss occur? does it thin ur hair overall? does it recede your hairline? do hair just shed? any specific area it sheds? thanks!

totaldispHAIR

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Orolin, tell Brucey to get his butt over here, he's welcome anytime. (but, so are you)

Scud666, seems as though everyone with seb derm has different types of hair loss patterns. Seriously, check out the men's site too, they've got so many more posts than we do over here.

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
scud666 said:
one question. how does seb derm hairloss occur? does it thin ur hair overall? does it recede your hairline? do hair just shed? any specific area it sheds? thanks!

I have to agree with totaldispHAIR. I had a bad case of seb derm last fall, and it really started a heavy bout of shedding. I freaked. I'd had mild cases of seb derm before, but it never seemd to include hair loss.

I think the seb derm damages the hair follicles, or increases the damage done by other means. Damaged hair follicles cannot maintain hair shafts, eventually the hair falls out.
Avoid seb derm at all costs. Whether you have male pattern baldness or not, At least use Nizoral 1%. Get another derm. Be careful with Nizoral 2%, some scalps, like mine, find it too harsh. If I use anything too harsh, the seb derm kicks in.
I found that Lidex, a prescription, works VERY well. Ir comes in lotion, gel and cream. It does nothing to irritate the scalp further. You use it at night and keep it on overnight. Also, Elidel, also a prescription, is a mild cream I use when I feel my scalp start to get "cruddy" or itchy.

Learn all you can from this site, and others you see mentioned here..My chiropractor tells me docotrs are more or less trained to be the way they are. You may have to shop around before you find someone sympathetic to your needs. Good luck.
By the way, I go to the men's discussions all the time. Everyone can use a new perspective from time to time.

scud666

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info marie.

one question. does the hair which falls out, have a hardened sebum/pus like substance attached to the root of the hair? i get it alot. i know its not the "bulb" cause i can pull it off with my nails and its yellow. is this Seb Derm.???

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Scud,

I say, you have seb derm. It is causing some hair loss, cuz it's further damaging hair follicles. But it may not be the whole problem. Read everything you can on THIS site--it is very reliable and the forums are reliable, the moderators keep us on the right path.

Keep using the Nizoral 1%. After a week of so of Nizoral 1%, alternate with another product. There's stuff out there for every budget.

Get a derm to get you some Lidex. (Generic name: fluocinonide cream USP, 0.05%)
I have found it gets rid of the seb derm much faster than just shampoo. After all, you leave it on your scalp overnight. I prefer the cream, but it also comes in gel and lotion form. Lidex is great stuff!! :rockon:

Whatever you decide, the sooner, the better. As long as your scalp is cruddy, it will keep damaging more follicles. And, it will likely come back from time to time, so treat each outbreak ASAP. :freaked:

Good luck :)

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I've had seb. dermatitis in the past, but it was never so bad. Since giving birth last year, I've suffered a lot from this and hairloss. Both showed up around the same time. I've been using T-Gel and having to use it every day for months to only kind of control this. Now, my Dr. gave me some Loprox shampoo and I'll rotate with T-Gel and Nizoral 1%. I wonder about the connection between this and hairloss. Honestly, I don't know which came first.

I had a few months where I didn't lose hair, even though I'd have occasional flares of SD. The past 6 weeks I've been losing hair like crazy, undoing all the regrowth I'd had.

I have seen Dr. Walt Stolt's web site... there could be something to this. When I'm pregnant, it clears up (pregnancy tends to suppress allergic reactions in general). But, I'm SOOOOO stressed about this hairloss I'm finding it hard to keep myself calm enough to calm my insides too! Of course, I was totally calm and content when it came back last time.

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Dear Sad Mom,

I do think seb derm and hair loss can be connected. Although, I have had bouts of seb derm in the past 3-4 years, with no obvious hair loss.

You mention your hair loss began after giving birth and when you were pregnant, all was fine. When you are pregnant, your progesterone level is high. After birth, it returns to "normal", which may be too low. If it is too low in relation to your estrogen, the resulting imbalance could result in hair loss and autoimmune problems. Low progesterone can lead to female pattern baldness. Estrogen dominance can cause all sorts of maladies, from fatigue to hair loss.

I have been reading Dr. John Lee's book What your doctor may NOT tell you about menopause. He also has a book dealing with younger women, 30s-40s, called What your doctor may NOT tell you about perimenopause. He talks about hormone imbalances, and what they can do to your body. He talks about using natural progesterone to bring you body back into balance. his website is http://www.johnleemd.com/
Check it out, or pick up the perimenopause book and see if you can see yourself in the book. I don't know if this is your problem, but it's worth a read.

Reading the book has calmed me down. I recently began shedding, again, on another part of my scalp, and I have to do something.I have an appointment with a endocrinologist on July 14. She is also an osteopath. I plan on presenting my case about why I think my hair is falling out, my skin crawls and my libido is vanishing. At the very least, I plan on getting off synthetic HRT (femhrt) and using some natural hormones.

Many people on this site have told me about how important hormone balance is to optimum health. And totaldispHAIR told me about Dr. Lee's books. There's good info on this site, keep reading. It will get better.

I'l report on the doctor's visit. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and saying a prayer. :hairy:
And good luck to you.

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
You mention your hair loss began after giving birth and when you were pregnant, all was fine. When you are pregnant, your progesterone level is high. After birth, it returns to "normal", which may be too low. If it is too low in relation to your estrogen, the resulting imbalance could result in hair loss and autoimmune problems. Low progesterone can lead to female pattern baldness. Estrogen dominance can cause all sorts of maladies, from fatigue to hair loss.

I will have to look into this... the derm here isn't really interested in doing any horomone tests. I doubt in this small town he knows much about FPB. I am seeing an endo that I know is good, out of town, in August. But it's hard to wait so long as my hair keeps vanishing!

He talks about using natural progesterone to bring you body back into balance. his website is http://www.johnleemd.com/

Thanks for the site!

I plan on presenting my case about why I think my hair is falling out, my skin crawls and my libido is vanishing. At the very least, I plan on getting off synthetic HRT (femhrt) and using some natural hormones.

Boy, that sounds like me! I admit, that I'm not really blessed with a high libido. Especially in the first year after having a baby... but this time has been AWFUL! My poor husband has been so patient. I have had NO desire whatsoever in 12 months.

[/quote]

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Dear Sad Mom,

I am seeing an endo that I know is good, out of town, in August. But it's hard to wait so long as my hair keeps vanishing!
I know it's hard, but it almost the middle of July already. And you get the time to research your case.

It is very important to keep the seb derm under control, it'll only make the hair loss worse and it is sooo icky.
You might want to try Lidex(Generic name: fluocinonide cream USP, 0.05%) You apply it at night and it remains on the scalp while you sleep. It works for me and is not a strong drug. Do you have a doctor who would give you a scrip for this w/o an office visit?

By the way, some of the other symptoms of estrogen dominance (according to Dr. Lee) are:allergies, breast tenderness, decreased sex drive, fatigue, depression, fibrocystic breasts, headaches, memory loss, PMS, water retention, and more.

If you can find his perimenopause book at your library or go to Amazon.com, it's only about 12.00 plus postage, you can read throught it before your appt. I had to skim through some of it as it tended to be too technical in parts for my non-medical brain. But, most of the message came through very clearly.
I'll for sure let you know how it goes on Monday!
Keep in touch, :)

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping my problem is as *simple* as a horomone imbalance. That this endo will find it. That she will be able to do something for me which will fix it, and the hairloss along with it. But I admit, after this past year, I'm extrememly pessimistic and depressed. I'm trying not to be. But... it's just too hard.

I keep thinking, if most women have a hormonal reason behind their hairloss, why are there so many still losing their hair in spite of treatment? Is a hormone balance so hard to fix? It seems so many women are on anti-androgen therapy for hairloss... but couldn't it be that the androgens are taking over because the female horomones are too low? Hhmmm..... just thinking out loud.

I've told my husband all year, there must be something out of whack horomonally (this was before I even had such extensive hairloss). I just don't feel myself in too many ways. I will have to be patient until August. Patience has NEVER been my strong point.

I'm hanging on to the fact that unlike every other Dr. I've seen, this one will be good!

And I hope I can get a better hold on the seb. dermatitis too.

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I have hope for both of us. :)

But it seems the doctors are always trying tto solve these problems with synthetic hormones, mostly synthetic estrogen. It doesn't solve the problem, because low estrogen is not the problem. The ratio of estrogen to progesterone is the culprit, but I guess doctors aren't trained to look into this. Hopefully, the endos will.

I keep thinking, if most women have a hormonal reason behind their hairloss, why are there so many still losing their hair in spite of treatment? Is a hormone balance so hard to fix? It seems so many women are on anti-androgen therapy for hairloss... but couldn't it be that the androgens are taking over because the female horomones are too low?
Not necessarily too low for estrogen, but definitely too low for progesterone. Progesterone keeps estrogen and the male hormones, in check. I guess thatt's why they call it being in balance? Ya' wonder why doctors don't even check the progesterone levels??
I'm hoping, if you tell the doctors what you suspect, they will respond positively. Dr. Lee can't be making this up.
Patience has NEVER been my strong point.
That makes two of us. But, being irritable is another symptom...

I can't wait 'til Monday, and before you know it, you'll be at your endo, too. Look at it this way, at least your got some info and set up the appt., it took me over 6 months, after my gyn told me to see an endo. I didn't think it COULD help. I just didn't know enough to go. It is really too bad when your gyn can't explain how another doctor can help you. Even when you have "good" doctors, you still have to be informed so you know they are doing their job :roll: :roll: