Does Saw Palmetto really cause shedding?

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
I know about the controversy regarding Saw Palmetto. I get that it *doesn't* affect DHT levels in the blood, but it does seem to affect the way DHT (and androgens, estrogens?) bind to certain cells, especially in the prostrate area... and that there's no reason to believe it does the same thing for hair follicles.

BUT.

If it doesn't affect hair follicles, why all these horror reports about shedding when taking Saw Palmetto? It seems to be a bit of a contradiction: it either does or doesn't affect hair follicles. I can't see how it would be both ineffective AND cause shedding?

I was hoping to just add it to my treatment as a "why could it hurt?" option. It seems to have value for keeping the prostrate under control, and at age 40, I'm entering the time for concern. So I figured it couldn't *hurt* to take Saw Palmetto.

But now I read all these horror reports of shedding when on Saw Palmetto, and I don't know who to believe? Is there any clinical evidence that Saw Palmetto causes shedding? Or is this just as questionable as it's effectiveness?

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It does affect the DHT levels in the prostrate and to some degree in the hair follicles. It does not provide the results that people often see with propecia. The issue is that it is still uncertain what other body functions SP affects when your body absorbs it. From what I have read, in order to avoid the shed, you should take stinging nettle along side of SP.

You would be best to use Flax Lignans SDG. This is a more effective use of your money and will produce better results than standard Saw Palmetto.

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
is there a difference between topical and oral saw palmetto? for example, has anyone ever reported shedding from the saw palmetto in ac revitalize?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
jumpedthegun said:
is there a difference between topical and oral saw palmetto? for example, has anyone ever reported shedding from the saw palmetto in ac revitalize?

I've been using a few different topical saw mixtures since September 05 w/ no shedding - but that's just me.

haymes

Reaction score
I have been using both oral saw palmetto, Revivogen serum topical, and AC Revitalize. Have been doing this for almost a year, and no hair sheds. Also, I definitely see a difference in my prostate health since using oral saw palmetto. I had Prostatitis and it seems to have been kept at bay for some time now.