Does Retin-A Gel/Cream stimulate hair growth on its own?

Hairstani

My Regimen
Reaction score
From studies which I have seen Retin-A is usually used together with another topical growth stimulant, like Minoxidil. I was wondering if Retin-A can be effective on its own as a growth stimulant or it only can be used with Minoxidil to increase absorption?

Pentanol

My Regimen
Reaction score
There has been no study of topical tretinoin showing hair growth alone, but there have been countless studies that demonstrate topical tretinoin in combination with minoxidil can exacerbate the growth progression of minoxidil. This mechanism is well understood: tretinoin promotes and regulates cell proliferation in the epithelium, and great cell turnover allows minoxidil to penetrate the roof covering of the skin as well as promote the enzymatic activity that converts minoxidil to its active metabolite.

From these studies, we can speculate that there needs to be a growth agent in order to see the promotion of hair growth. In addition, millions use topical tretinoin for skincare, and hair growth on the face, forehead, or neck is not reported in the literature or anecdotally. For reference, I have used topical tretinoin for years on my face and forehead, including areas near my hairline, and I've never experienced excessive hair growth at these areas.

That being said, I would suggest beginning the treatment for skincare, whether it be for acne or anti-aging after consulting a dermatologist. Not only is tretinoin a unique compound that outperforms everything available OTC, but does not diminish in effect after years of use and beginning treatment early (mid-20s to 30s) is one of the best decisions I have made.

Last edited:

LITUATUI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One female subject with pronounced alopecia for more than 20 years had regrowth of hair using only tretinoin for a period of 18 months.

I use a 0,05 % tretinoin cream 2-3 times a week at night. I like that it works as a strong exfoliator, meaning that it opens pores and let sebum out. Works great against dandruff and oily scalp.

Sebum production is increased by androgens.

Remember that fungi feeds on sebum and prolonged fungi proliferation leads to chronic inflammation. If the scalp is constantly inflamed, growing hair isn't a priority for your body.

I also believe that the body fights chronic inflammation by blocking pathogens from accessing those areas (hair follicles) via calcification and fibrosis. It's like blocking the access to a constantly inflamed area by using calcium deposits and connective tissue... But this part is just my theory.

EMILIO CHESSA

My Regimen
Reaction score
do you have a site where you can buy tretinoin?
or a site where they sell minoxidil-tretinoin combination? thanks

LITUATUI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
do you have a site where you can buy tretinoin?
or a site where they sell minoxidil-tretinoin combination? thanks

Tretinoin 0,1 % cream. This is a very strong exfoliator, use only 2/3 days a week.

If you also apply it to the face use a non-greasy moisturizer (aloe cream for example) after.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
From studies which I have seen Retin-A is usually used together with another topical growth stimulant, like Minoxidil. I was wondering if Retin-A can be effective on its own as a growth stimulant or it only can be used with Minoxidil to increase absorption?
1) Tretinoin increase the expresion of the enzyme that convert minoxidil into sulphate minoxidil in the scalp ( the active minoxidil ) . Search in on pubmed for this great 2019 study
2) Isotretinoin have anti DHT effect , so most probably tretinoin have it to .

Short answer , yes . But search for it on pubmed, I remember to read it at least one article.
But, it is even better if you use it with minoxidil.
By the way , I use this combination every night since 1998 , never stopped to work even when I was the only thing I used .