Does Regaine (minoxidil) Stop Working After 2 Years?

reefy86

My Regimen
Reaction score
i have read that this stuff stops working after 2 years, does this mean that it stops growing after 2 years but still continuously works to maintain you hair as long as you keep taking it? i see no point in taking it if it stops doing its job after 2 years because it takes 6-12 months to notice any effects.

Chap1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have heard of it randomly not work anymore after some time, but I am not 100% sure about it. I would love to know the answer to this too.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your regimine isn’t exactly an ode to the long-term efficacy of minoxidil.
Well, actually yes.
When you stop Minoxidil you will have a massive shed and even if you are on topical antiandrogens, it will not stop
The only think I did not droped or changed during this almost 20 years was minoxidil. IF minoxidil should stoped, I should saw that massive shed plus receding that you will see if you stop minoxidil, and I did not.

Keisi92

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not used minoxidil , but from what I have gathered from the posts I have read and pics I have seen of people who have used it it's not that it stops working, but you just keep losing hair. Obviously what I am about to say is not science just a personal conclusion. Gonna give an example on what I think.

Let's say there are 5 situations :A,B,C,D,E. And starting from the first to the last they are in descending order of hairs in your head (You can think in terms of NW1,2,3 ect if you want)

Say 2 years ago you were on situation A, now you are on B and with your current progression of hairloss you will be on C in 2 years. If today you use minoxidil and it has a good effect on you, you will be back to situation A in 6 months. Problem is that minoxidil just gives regrowth and doesn't halt harloss. That means that after 2 years you won't be in situation C, but it will still worsen and you will be at let's say B. Give it another 2 years and you will probably be in C and after another 2 you will be in D. If you interrupt minoxidil at D you will swiftly be where you would have been without minoxidil which is situation E.

What minoxidil does is it brings some of your miniaturized, weaker and not noticable hair to normal hair, but with time passing those follicles will continue to develop even weaker hair to a point that minoxidil won't be able to grow them. That doesn't mean that it stopped working it just means that it can't do anything on those hairs anymore, but it will still continue to work on the other hairs that have miniaturized in the meantime due to your progressing Androgenetic Alopecia.

Imho to put it simply minoxidil just brings you at a previouse state and you will continue to lose hair from that point onwards. Minoxidil is like a one time time machine for hair. It brings you a couple of years back if you are lucky, but eventually time will still continue to go forward for you.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well, actually yes.
When you stop Minoxidil you will have a massive shed and even if you are on topical antiandrogens, it will not stop
The only think I did not droped or changed during this almost 20 years was minoxidil. IF minoxidil should stoped, I should saw that massive shed plus receding that you will see if you stop minoxidil, and I did not.

exactly..

i drop minoxidil after 2,5 years...mann the shedding was insane

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Does minoxidil stop working after 2 years?
sh*t im still waiting for it to START working after 2 years.

soo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you just take minoxidil, it could be that you'll have the same amount of hair after 2 years and then your hairline decreases. The only thing minoxidil does is to give you additional hair, but it will eventually get damaged by DHT and get lost too like all the other hair follicles.

Use finasteride and minoxidil together and that's where the magic starts. If you're a good responder for both (which is usually the case) then 15+ years should be the case

Reactions: br1

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
You guys are so wrong to say minoxidil doesn’t maintain hair. Nobody even knows how it works. I’ve posted the study on here multiple times. Minoxidil may affect the androgen receptor. The problem is people are not strict with it. I haven’t missed a single dose in 2 years and I’m not using finasteride. I’m still growing hair. And I’ve maintained.

Last edited:

PRM

Reaction score
You guys are so wrong to say minoxidil doesn’t maintain hair. Nobody even knows how it works. I’ve posted the study on here multiple times. Minoxidil may affect the androgen receptor. The problem is people are not strict with it. I haven’t missed a single dose in 2 years and I’m not using finasteride. I’m still growing hair. And I’ve maintained.

I agree. I have been using minoxidil for 22 years. And for the last 10 months my finasteride dosage (which i use for 20 years) was reduced to twice a week.

I will soon quit finasteride since i believe Rogaine and Lipogaine are helping to keep hair loss stable. I also use 2% keto shampoo.

Loka

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here it is

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4039155/

“Minoxidil also suppressed AR-responsive reporter activity and decreased AR protein stability in human hair dermal papilla cells.”

Thanks for this study. Would this mean that Minoxidil can have finasteride-like sides, but not as drastic? Only skimmed through the abstract real quick so i apologize if it's clear in the study and I missed it.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for this study. Would this mean that Minoxidil can have finasteride-like sides, but not as drastic? Only skimmed through the abstract real quick so i apologize if it's clear in the study and I missed it.

No finasteride-like sides because they're saying that the minoxidil affects the androgen receptor itself. It does not affect the 5 AR enzyme and thus does not affect the DHT production in your body.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Update: 4.5 years with minoxidil and no finasteride. I am still maintaining. My left hairline is almost NW1, but my right is NW2.5. Overall I am still maintaining though.