Does Proscar necessarily work for everyone?

Plan C

Established Member
Reaction score
Have been using Proscar 1mg a day for 2 months and my hairline is receeding at the same rate as before. It may be too early to expect results but does Proscar necessarily work for everyone? Is it the case that, for a select few, finasteride has no effect?

baldnesssadness

Established Member
Reaction score
Two months is not long enough to expect results to show. I would give it at least six or seven months from the day you began finasteride to see if the treatment appears to be working. Often visible results are not apparent until a whole year after starting treatment. In my case, my hair began thickening very significantly after only about 6 weeks of starting finasteride, but this is not the norm for most users.

In theory, finasteride should "work" for everybody who takes it, in the sense that it reduces DHT in the body of every individual who takes it, on average by about 70%. With less DHT in the body, your hair follicles have more protection from damage caused by this hormone. However, if your hair follicles are very sensitive to DHT, even the small amount of DHT left in the body after taking a dose of finasteride will still cause damage to your hair follicles, in which case you will most likely still experience gradual hair loss despite using finasteride. However, you would lose your hair significantly slower than you would have done if you had never taken finasteride to begin with.

Another point to mention is that there are other factors involved with male-pattern hair loss in addition to DHT. Testosterone, for instance, probably contributes to hair loss to some extent. There is also a second type of DHT that finasteride does not inhibit, which may also play a role in hair loss. There are probably other factors too which are not yet known.

However, in answer to your question, it isn't really possible for finasteride to have "no effect" for any person who uses it, because of the way it works chemically. It might appear to be having no effect, but this would probably be because your hair loss is very aggressive, and even the small amount of DHT still left in the body will still cause significant damage to your hair follicles, and your hair loss will gradually continue. However, you would most certainly lose your hair a lot slower than if you had never taken finasteride to begin with.

I've been using finasteride for 2 months now and my hair line has receeded a bit since i started finasteride, do you think i have very DHT sensitive hair follicles?

Here is some info.

hair loss started since i was 18 nw1
now im 22 and i would say im nw2,5
Also using minoxidil for some months now but i used minoxidil before and didn't get results similar to this?

Seeing a lot of regrowth on the hairline and temples but hairline still receeding,but i don't have a itchy scalp anymore and hair looks thicker to me but the reeceding hairline still worries me 2 months is to early to judge the whole picture.

So what do you think? do you need any more information on my situation?

baldnesssadness

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed answer.

It appears that the finasteride seems to be working for you. The fact you are experiencing regrowth on your hairline and temples is evidence of this, as well as the fact that the male pattern baldness itch seems to have gone away. I notice you also mentioned that your hairline is still receding. In what way have you experienced regrowth at the same time as recession? Is it that the hair you still have is getting thicker, but your hairline is also receding at the same time?

I have vellus hairs on temples and below my hairline which i didn't have before, i used to dermaroll before and my right temple got good results of it however my left temple was allmost slick bald, now the vellus hair amount is allmost the same as the right temple and the same goes for hairs below the hairline i look like i have a long forehead because of male pattern baldness if these hairs turn teminal my forehead will look much shorter, the hairline and temples where i have my terminal has receeded but the slick bald areas have grown a little bit of vellus. So growth on slick bald areas below temples and hairline but the hairline and temples with the terminal hairs keep receeding

My grandfather and uncle from mother side were both NW5 my father is NW1.
Im not really sure about it can be dht sensitive since i started balding when i was 18 its been very slow in 4 years i'm Norwood 2,5 and i slowly stayed in the Norwood 2,5 since 2012 i've seen some forum users which are younger than me which are NW3-NW4 which responded well to finasteride and regrowed a lot in my case only time will tell but . Using dutasteride wont be a problem but as you mentioned im not sure about the long term side effects, do you think RU or CB-03-01 could work for dht sensitive guys? is dutasteride their only option?

And should i take Finasteride everyday at the SAME time? i have read about this at confuses me because i dont take it in the same time... it varies from 2-6 hours after or before the same time.

Hows their dosage with the dutasteride? Should i start using it now? its just i don't wanna wait 9 months for nothing and receede more, should i start with dutasteride now to be 100 % sure to stop my mbp?

Sorry for so many questions... its just mbp has effected me alot...

Thanks again with a detailed answer.