Does Propecia accelerate frontal balding?

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought it was the DHT converted from testosterone that hurt hair. Why are people blaming testosterone now? Even if testosterone is bad for the temples, wouldn't allowing it to convert to DHT be worse?

Pondle

Reaction score
Sir Guy of Frizzbourne said:
I thought it was the DHT converted from testosterone that hurt hair. Why are people blaming testosterone now? Even if testosterone is bad for the temples, wouldn't allowing it to convert to DHT be worse?

Yes doesn't DHT have something like 30 times the affinity for the androgen receptor? (can't find a source) And presumably 5AR deficient men still have T, yet still keep all their hair...

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Same as JDW and a few on the board. 4 months on finasteride and receded badly to difuse across the front for first 2 inches. I was not very diffuse before finasteride and did not have anywhere near as much recession. I use to brush my hairr in a forward stle but now its so thin and seems all the longer hairs fall out and not re-grow

Someone asked me if I had a haircut last week when I haven;t had it cust for 6 wks but basically its my aggressive hairloss making it shorter and receded..depressing.

Hiar is growng very slow but maybe its that time of year?

Pondle

Reaction score
Nick4441 said:
Same as JDW and a few on the board. 4 months on finasteride and receded badly to difuse across the front for first 2 inches. I was not very diffuse before finasteride and did not have anywhere near as much recession. I use to brush my hairr in a forward stle but now its so thin and seems all the longer hairs fall out and not re-grow

Someone asked me if I had a haircut last week when I haven;t had it cust for 6 wks but basically its my aggressive hairloss making it shorter and receded..depressing.

Hiar is growng very slow but maybe its that time of year?

But you are probably only now starting to respond to the finasteride, so you can't blame recent frontal thinning on it.

blakes30

Established Member
Reaction score
JDW said:
Xerhid said:
I don't see how it could POSSIBLY accelerate frontal balding.

As someone has pointed out on here it increases test. which can affect the hair. From my point of view it has made the front very diffuse and I've gone from a strong NW2 to NW3 since taking the drug. co-incidence or not, nobody can say for sure.

no--propecia DECREASES testosterone!!!!!!!!!

that's why so many who take it feel tired

and for "most" men who take it, it does indeed stop or at least slow frontal hair-loss---it certainly does not add to it, no way, no how!

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Blakes and Pondle I hope your right, it would be wonderful to finally see a turnaround and quite a few of us here having been keeping the faith only to see down hill.

My understanding finasteride does increase testosterone by ~10% certainly in older guys and I can vouch for it as my libido has been well up sometimes. But it inhibits the DHT which is the important, so even if testosterone is raised then the amount it reduces DHT way overtakes the negative of more testosterone.

barcafan

Reaction score
The reason alot of people seem to report nonsuccess in the front is because maybe they havent beent aking it for the FULL time you need to in order to see good effects (2 years?)