Does Propecia accelerate frontal balding?

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to know because I think it might be. But I have no evidence to support it. Any articles to back up my statement?

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
Some claim that increase in testosterone happens when taking finasteride and test hurts the already sensitive frontal regions. Also Propecia was never studied for in the front.

Jm0311

Reaction score
gsxr60097 said:
Some claim that increase in testosterone happens when taking finasteride and test hurts the already sensitive frontal regions. Also Propecia was never studied for in the front.

yes i heard this as well. is there anyone on propecia that has stayed a Norwood 2 or so?

abcdefg

Reaction score
Considering how many men like the front of their hair does any company ever plan on making a hairloss product to maintain hair? When is someone going to actually study and figure out the front so men can maintain all of it?

ChrisX

Reaction score
There was a study on frontal hair loss and propecia. If i remember correctly, the results were similar to those in the vertex area, but not as dense.

Maybe some has the link to this study, i can't find it anymore...

Lorenzo_91

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I am a perfect example of how Propecia will halt frontal hairloss on it's tracks. But I still had enough to be able to see it diminish and now make this miraculous comeback at month 15.

All I can currently tell is that I am in the exact same place or better than when I started 15 months ago. I do believe the switch to taking it in the morning was a turning point. N ow Tricomin and tons of nizoral.

So much nizoral that the medication almost makes me gag when I inhale it.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
gsxr60097 said:
Also Propecia was never studied for in the front.

???

Sure it was studied in the front. Check it out:

"Finasteride in the treatment of men with frontal male pattern hair loss", Leyden et al, J Am Acad Dermatol 1999; 40: 930-7.

Bryan

abcdefg

Reaction score
Oh yeah I forgot about that one stupid me. I meant the company making it like say a study done directly by merk and getting it FDA approved for that purpose. There is no product today that is technically marketed to protecting frontal hairloss.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Bryan if you read this are there any studies you have come acrossed that studied finasteride on men with no hairloss? or started propecia as teenagers before male pattern baldness could effect them? Do men with all their hair respond negatively to testosterone fluctuations from propecia?

bobisback11

Reaction score
well testosterone converts to dht, so if you take a drug that blocks dht you will have more test...but it won't be converted to dht.... example of excessive testosterone are people who the roids.. they can get hairloss however even some of those guys don't get. so your either going to get it or not...i m not sure but i've seen pics where it sure seemed like propecia did help out the front ??

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
abcdefg said:
Bryan if you read this are there any studies you have come acrossed that studied finasteride on men with no hairloss? or started propecia as teenagers before male pattern baldness could effect them?

I've never seen any studies of finasteride used under either of those conditions.

abcdefg said:
Do men with all their hair respond negatively to testosterone fluctuations from propecia?

I can't imagine that a modest increase in testosterone would cause any harm, when accompanied by a sharp decline in DHT.

sore loser

Reaction score
I agree - I remember reading that testosterone only goes up a modest amount, somewhere around 10-15%. This should not cuase any real extra damage to frontal hair - and even if it did, it should certainly be outweighed by the average 60% decrease in DHT.

Although, I am still losing density in the front - perhaps the testosterone that is there already is enough to harm that area. Vertex and crown are thickening enough so that I notice it (density there wasn't bad to begin with though).

I am wondering - since finasteride simply lowers DHT, that doesn't mean that hair shafts have to grow. Could it be that a higher percentage of our hairs could be moving into resting phase for longer and longer? finasteride would still be "working" to protect the shaft, but that wouldn't mean the shafts would have to produce hair. Could it be that minoxidil or some other growth stimulant would be needed to produce that effect? Just wondering.

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that finasteride works for frontal hairloss but not really for the temples....cant find where that article is now though

blakes30

Established Member
Reaction score
Absolutely no doubt about it!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my case---it stopped my frontal hair loss. That is the only place that i was starting to lose my hair 9 years ago. It definitely has halted my frontal hair loss.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Xerhid said:
I don't see how it could POSSIBLY accelerate frontal balding.

As someone has pointed out on here it increases test. which can affect the hair. From my point of view it has made the front very diffuse and I've gone from a strong NW2 to NW3 since taking the drug. co-incidence or not, nobody can say for sure.