Does Minoxidil Regrowth Thicken Up Over Time? Cycle?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
On minoxidil 5% foam 1x a day for 5 months.

I started to get regrowth month 2.

Some hair is thick shaft but a lot are thin shafts---Do those thin hairs thicken up over time?

I'm not on finasteride because I am a woman.

Anyone see this happen w/o finasteride?

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yep, they can thicken for 1 or 2 years. If you apply the minoxidil 2 times a day you will get better and faster results.

Consult with your derma but in my opinion you can take spironolactone ( the finasteride for men ) to add extra better results. Good luck

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yep, they can thicken for 1 or 2 years. If you apply the minoxidil 2 times a day you will get better and faster results.

Consult with your derma but in my opinion you can take spironolactone ( the finasteride for men ) to add extra better results. Good luck

thanks

for now I'm using topical spironolactone with estrodial...im debating the oral spironolactone but i would have to go on the 'higher risk' birth control pills with them...and i am not a spring chicken so the health risk goes up more with birth control pills (blood clots, strokes).

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
I seemed to hit my limit at about month 6..7.

I can't be sure but there were a second bunch of new small hairs at about month 5, they grew a bit and then stopped and have not grown anymore in 4 months. They are cosmetically insignificant. My hair is as good as it was at month 6, but no better. Most studies show that after a year is usually when it peaks for most, although in long term follow up studies a certain lucky few had greater density at year 3 then year 1. (Google minoxidil follow up study).

>Hair regrowth with topical minoxidil peaked at approximately 1 year of treatment with a slight but not statistically significant decrease in 1-year counts seen at the 3-year visit. At 1 year there was a mean increase in nonvellus hairs compared with the baseline count of 273.4 and that at 3 years, 246.2.
>However, some patients receiving long-term treatment with topical minoxidil continued to have an increase in nonvellus target area counts at 4 1/2 to 5 years beyond their 1-year counts (n=9). Similarly, a few subjects, despite continued treatment with topical minoxidil, had nonvellus target area hair counts decrease below baseline (n=4).

http://www.anagen.net/m14.htm

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I seemed to hit my limit at about month 6..7.

I can't be sure but there were a second bunch of new small hairs at about month 5, they grew a bit and then stopped and have not grown anymore in 4 months. They are cosmetically insignificant. My hair is as good as it was at month 6, but no better. Most studies show that after a year is usually when it peaks for most, although in long term follow up studies a certain lucky few had greater density at year 3 then year 1. (Google minoxidil follow up study).

>Hair regrowth with topical minoxidil peaked at approximately 1 year of treatment with a slight but not statistically significant decrease in 1-year counts seen at the 3-year visit. At 1 year there was a mean increase in nonvellus hairs compared with the baseline count of 273.4 and that at 3 years, 246.2.
>However, some patients receiving long-term treatment with topical minoxidil continued to have an increase in nonvellus target area counts at 4 1/2 to 5 years beyond their 1-year counts (n=9). Similarly, a few subjects, despite continued treatment with topical minoxidil, had nonvellus target area hair counts decrease below baseline (n=4).

http://www.anagen.net/m14.htm

Did you notice if any of the hair that regrew thicken in shaft diameter after a cycle or two?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If it were to increase the hair diameter you would have to wait for those treated hairs to cycle a few times which could take a few years.

That would be okay.

I'm doing well compared to most with both loss and regrowth so I don't want to sound gloomy. Its not perfect but its presentable. Especially with a good side part.

BUT I am 45 going on 46 and I am concerned how the hair will progress next few years..so far I am like clock work with my period and my hormones were normal last few tests...but of course eventually they will start to change and start to effect hair I am sure when I enter peri menopause.

I try to find information from women who experienced it and how the hormone replacements worked out for them in combination with hair loss and at what point its best to start hormone replacements. Before menopause starts? or just as it starts? etc.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you notice if any of the hair that regrew thicken in shaft diameter after a cycle or two?

I don't think I noticed this tbh. But beforehand I had a lot of thin hairs, these fell and thicker ones grew in place after 2 months on minoxidil.

givemeregrowth

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have the same problem.I went from NW3 to Norwood 1.5 in less than two months and now i have about 80% dentisty in that area,but new hairs are thinner than helthy ones.

LusciousLadyLocks

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair can thicken in the same cycle. I have long hair, so I can see thick hair from 4+ years ago, thinning hair from last year and the year before, and the same strand getting thicker again after the minoxidil kicked in. There's actually no reason that hair would have to cycle to thicken! And yes, at my temples, I'm seeing miniaturized hairs getting thicker as they get longer.

LusciousLadyLocks

My Regimen
Reaction score
thanks

for now I'm using topical spironolactone with estrodial...im debating the oral spironolactone but i would have to go on the 'higher risk' birth control pills with them...and i am not a spring chicken so the health risk goes up more with birth control pills (blood clots, strokes).

Given your age, the chance of conception in one in hundreds of thousands with no BCPs. 99% of women are infertile by 44. Get a tubal ligation and you won't have to think about it, though. :)

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Given your age, the chance of conception in one in hundreds of thousands with no BCPs. 99% of women are infertile by 44. Get a tubal ligation and you won't have to think about it, though. :)

b**ch stop trolling with your ignorance.

@Roberto_72 wtf?

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair can thicken in the same cycle. I have long hair, so I can see thick hair from 4+ years ago, thinning hair from last year and the year before, and the same strand getting thicker again after the minoxidil kicked in. There's actually no reason that hair would have to cycle to thicken! And yes, at my temples, I'm seeing miniaturized hairs getting thicker as they get longer.

did you measure these different hairs in thickness ?