Does minoxidil really regrow hair on frontal hairline?

wendal

Established Member
Reaction score
Reading many of your posts, minoxidil seems to regrow hair on frontal hairline as well as the temples. But why does the description on the box say not to use in those areas and it's only for the vertex of the scalp?

Aso, I was at Costco today and saw both Rogaine foam and the Costco minoxidil 5%. Is the Costco brand as good a quality as the rogaine named brand? Costco version was a lot cheaper in price.

wendal

Established Member
Reaction score
finfighter said:
wendal said:
Reading many of your posts, minoxidil seems to regrow hair on frontal hairline as well as the temples. But why does the description on the box say not to use in those areas and it's only for the vertex of the scalp?

Aso, I was at Costco today and saw both Rogaine foam and the Costco minoxidil 5%. Is the Costco brand as good a quality as the rogaine named brand? Costco version was a lot cheaper in price.

Short answer- During the FDA trials they only evaluated the crown.

Really? That just seems stupid. Why wouldnt they also evaluate what many people see as the most important part of one's hair which is the frontal area/hairline?

So I can assume that it does work in those areas for some?

wendal

Established Member
Reaction score
finfighter said:
wendal said:
Really? That just seems stupid. Why wouldnt they also evaluate what many people see as the most important part of one's hair which is the frontal area/hairline?

Ask glaxo smithkline, and the FDA.

wendal said:
So I can assume that it does work in those areas for some?

Yep, and Finasteride does as well.....

Gotcha.

How about the difference between generic brand minoxidil and rogaine foam? Can you recommend one over the other? Isnt the foam supposed to work better?

Spanishlad

Established Member
Reaction score
I get the same results from the foam and the liquid but i use the foam, its a lot easier to use twice a day ,dries in about 10 mins where as the liquid takes hours.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Im one of those users who gained hairline hair with minoxidil. Did you know minoxidil can even cause you to have more facial and body hair? Its listed in the side effects that you may suffer with increased body hair and hair in unusual places such as behind the ears. All it does is stimulate existing hair hair to grow thicker thus making it more noticeable.

afro

Reaction score
I've had a fair bit of regrowth at the temples due to Minoxidil - Even more so coupled with Avodart and Nizoral.

Would have to agree about the body hair, I've always been extremely hairy but it seems to have doubled in thickness in the 2 years i've been on min, even the length of my body hair seems to have increased by about 50% too!

Lbaker

Reaction score
I can say the minoxidil has worked for the front as well. I am not sure why they say it only works for the vertex, maybe it was only tested for that area. Its worth giving it a try.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Its probably because frontal hairloss in most cases is just part of a maturing hairline and so isnt really considered balding (unless exceeding beyond norwood 3). We can be sure hairloss at the crown and vertex is without a doubt real male pattern baldness and so hairloss detterants are better tested in those areas to prove there effectiveness.

longhair1983

Established Member
Reaction score
follicle84 said:
Its probably because frontal hairloss in most cases is just part of a maturing hairline and so isnt really considered balding (unless exceeding beyond norwood 3). We can be sure hairloss at the crown and vertex is without a doubt real male pattern baldness and so hairloss detterants are better tested in those areas to prove there effectiveness.
Will minoxidil work equally well for frontal and vortex hair loss if they are caused by male pattern baldness?

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
longhair1983 said:
follicle84 said:
Will minoxidil work equally well for frontal and vortex hair loss if they are caused by male pattern baldness?

It should in theory. However seen as in most people the hair tends to be weaker at the temples than it does anywhere else on the scalp (which is why some people lose there hair there first). Minoxidil will appear less effective in those areas depending on the pattern of hairloss and your genetics.

itsthetooth

Reaction score
Possible reason why the directions say it doesn't work on the frontal area.

I see two issues. The first is, they are strong about you avoiding getting this stuff into your eyes. This could be partially why.
The other, is obviously from comments on here from others, the results are weak for that area as well.
I guess it's nice they are honest, and don't try to make claims which could lead buyers to assume it would fix frontal hair loss.
My only quirk, is if it's a weak recovery, and I need it to be full and thick, in addition to needing to use it for the rest of my life, maybe I'd be better off with another approach.

Parsia

Established Member
Reaction score
The reason is because on FDA trail they have tested it only on crown , that wasn't a smart move in my opinion , but thats why they can't say it is grow any hair on frontal and hairline , Generally speaking minoxidil works better on crown and top than hairline and frontal , if that wasn't the issue we didn't have any bald people anymore because frontal area is always more obvious to others eyes than crown ... But minoxidil CAN regrowth hair on hairline , temple and frontal scalp area as well . My assumption is higher percentage give you more regrowth .

cuprous

Reaction score
I have been using lipogaine (minoxidil + other stuff of unknown efficacy) on my temples and unquestionably it has given me regrowth. I have been using for 2-3 months so looking forward to where things stand at 6, 9, and 12 months. I need to get better at regular derma-rolling for potentially even better results.

I will post in the "success stories" forum if the trend continues as I have photos from starting treatment.