Does minoxidil on its own make your hair worse

lmao9955

Reaction score
For over twenty years I used minoxidil on it's own. It grew back my hairline when I was twenty years old (a NW2 to NW0) on 2%. A board certified dermatologist prescribed it to me Minoxidil is good at regenerating hair that has recently been lost. When we're young, are bodies can heal better because we get much better REM sleep then when we are older. For my experience, it retarded my baldness. My father was a Norwood 5 at my age.

I think the negativity from minoxidil is because it only works for half of the men who take five percent. However, as far as hormones, it is side effect free.

It will start a shed before the hair grows into overdrive (grows faster/longer). But this is only where you put it on your scalp, and you should see regrowth as soon as you see the shedding. If it doesn't regrow the lost hair right away, after a month, than minoxidil will probably not work for you.

You are smart to investigate your options before trying them out. Since you are young, and your body is generating lots of growth hormones, you will probably be a responder.

Good luck, and please keep us updated.

Tbh, according to your comments, any one thing is possible :
1. You are the biggest liar I have ever seen.
2. You are the most exceptional responder to minoxidil in the history of baldness.
3. You have some other hairloss than male pattern baldness.
Bro, minoxidil is a potassium channel opener which causes vasodilation around the hair follicles which causes it to increase the thickness of individual strands of hair. It does NOT BLOCK DHT WHICH IS THE MAIN CAUSE OF BALDING. It just keeps growing hair until your genes overpower the follicles. On an average the maximum time minoxidil can delay male pattern baldness is 3-5 years. To stop hairloss you have to BLOCK DHT.
Finasteride on the other hand is the only FDA approved medication for hairloss which works long term. The mighty Finasteride itself develops tolerance after 10-15 (again individual response varies). And after considering the fact that your dad is a NW5, you tell us that minoxidil has kept your hair on its own for 20 years. Straight up BULL****!
I am a HUGE fan of minoxidil but trust me what you are saying is false.
Yes minoxidil with Finasteride may work for 20 years, but minoxidil on its own cant keep the hair.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bro, not everyone loses hair the same way. What you wrote assumes that everyone continually loses hair at a steady rate, forever. But there are plenty of guys who lose hair until they have a bald spot, and then that's how their hair remains for a number of years. Otherwise, every single person who loses any hair would end up completely bald, and you know that's not the case. There are plenty of older guys who have only lost a little hair. Have you never seen a 50 year old man with a small bald spot? Do you think it started in the 3 previous years, always? No... So if you're a guy like this, with a very non-aggressive rate of balding for a number of years, sure, minoxidil could keep you at a consistent place for a long time... at least until for whatever reason DHT ramps up again, if it ever does.

Kaotic_100

Reaction score
I agree, his daily regimen states that he uses finasteride too, I possibly can't believe that he used minoxidil for 20 years

lmao9955

Reaction score
I agree, his daily regimen states that he uses finasteride too, I possibly can't believe that he used minoxidil for 20 years
Thanks.
@yetti Point out one true success story to me (with pictures) on any forum of anyone who has solely maintained his hair on minoxidil alone for 20 years and I'll believe you.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Minoxidil does nothing to stop hair loss. You will get initial growth of the resting hair follicles but that is short lived for appearance.

lmao9955

Reaction score
Imao9955,

On December 27th 2015 you joined this post. Yetti and I both research our facts, and nobody is asking you. Think about it.

I come here to learn and to give back, as factually as I can. I never said it stopped my baldness. I said at twenty, when I was NW1, it grew it all back. And I skipped some years before taking it again.

You might think your scoring points with certain people on this board. Your not. You are only making yourself look more like an idiot than you are.

Smart people know what they don't know.

And for the record, I started a thread called Liquid Finasteride (my thread). Now, if you can't comprehend what you read, stop pointing fingers. It's not my fault. It's yours.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to post on other threads. But, as far as you and lame o, your ghosts to me.

I could care less about your opinion, as well as your friend. Stop wasting my time.

I spend lots of time researching threads. And I made a new thread, a while back, called liquid finasteride. I've been on finasteride since January 2015. I never kept that a secret.

I think you just need a scape goat to throw attention on to someone else. I respect your right not to use it.

But you disrespected me for the last time.

A true example of a lost cause.

lmao9955

Reaction score
Imao9955,

On December 27th 2015 you joined this post. Yetti and I both research our facts, and nobody is asking you. Think about it.

I come here to learn and to give back, as factually as I can. I never said it stopped my baldness. I said at twenty, when I was NW1, it grew it all back. And I skipped some years before taking it again.

You might think your scoring points with certain people on this board. Your not. You are only making yourself look more like an idiot than you are.

Smart people know what they don't know.

And for the record, I started a thread called Liquid Finasteride (my thread). Now, if you can't comprehend what you read, stop pointing fingers. It's not my fault. It's yours.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to post on other threads. But, as far as you and lame o, your ghosts to me.

I could care less about your opinion, as well as your friend. Stop wasting my time.

I spend lots of time researching threads. And I made a new thread, a while back, called liquid finasteride. I've been on finasteride since January 2015. I never kept that a secret.

I think you just need a scape goat to throw attention on to someone else. I respect your right not to use it.

But you disrespected me for the last time.

Pictures of my progress are on this thread, which I created November 1st. Look up "Liquid Finasteride Users".

I hope that Kaotic_100 and lmao9955 can read this. Do you see what I wrote : "Liquid Finasteride Users". November 1st. I'm really trying to hide my finasteride usage, right?

-

Imao9955,

Stop trying to suck up to other people on this board by putting people down. You use laser therapy as your sole hair regrowth agent. Laser treatment, at 17 (your only treatment, and you don't know if you have baldness or not, according to you). How has that been working out for you? I really don't believe you are in position to put anybody down. Go back to your laser comb.- - - Updated - - -

Wow... Did you read my November 1st thread "Liquid Finasteride Users", the one I started?

If you put both of your heads together, you get the intelligence of a half of a person.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you and Kaotic take the same reading class?

WOW. JUST WOW. You are even dumber than I thought. Laser comb, wtf bro.
A study on topical Finasteride :
Here is the full citation: "Topical 0.05% finasteride significantly reduced serum DHT concentrations, but had no effect in preventing the expression of genetic hair loss in men". D.H. Rushton, M.J. Norris and I.D. Ramsay. From the book Hair Research for the Next Millenium, copyright 1996. D.J.J. Van Neste and V.A. Randall, (Eds).

These are the final two paragraphs in the study:

"In this study we employed a topical formulation of 0.05% finasteride in view of its presence in seminal fluid of subjects receiving oral therapy. Despite achieving serum DHT levels 40% lower than baseline, no hair regrowth occurred. Additional data from 10 males showed no further loss of hair in two subjects while on treatment; however the remaining eight withdrew after 12 months due to lack of efficacy (unpublished data).

"These findings suggest that in individuals in whom hair follicles have little or no type-II 5a-reductase activity, topically applied inhibitors like finasteride are unlikely to be effective. Oral Proscar (5 mg finasteride) is also unlikely to be effective unless metabolites with different specificity to 5a-reductase isozymes are produced. We therefore eagerly await the arrival of a type-1 or mixed 5a-reductase inhibitor."

Dont keep lying to yourself that by applying topical finasteride and minoxidil you are doing a wonderful job. Grow a pair of balls and start taking oral Finasteride. It's proved, tested and has a very small risk of side effects. At least you might keep whatever you have. I m not trying to suck up to anyone as I would not get anything out of it. I m just stating the facts and trying to keep people like @kaotic out of the reach of people like you.

lmao9955

Reaction score
Your an idiot. First off, I take 1mg of finasteride in liquid form.

This study is talking about .05. Now, if you just read my profile (reading, is probably very hard for you, I take it.) you would know that.

And there are lots of studies that show it does work. In fact, it reduces DHT more by 80% (see, multiply 40% by two, there you go bro).

I'll send you the proof. Your friend said he was afraid to take finasteride. I'm not. But hey, first you said I don't even take it. What changed your mind, bro?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a study you can read, lamo9955:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19172031

What do you think about it? Let me know.

- - - Updated - - -

Your 1996 citation. That's interesting, and old. Did you read this link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19172031. That's done in 2009! So I guess it's more up to date than 1996? Oral and liquid have the same effects. A hair count was done on each participant. And that's a government study.

Sigh! You are truly a lost cause. If liquid was that effective
1. A majority of doctors would start prescribing liquid Finasteride right away instead of oral.
2. FDA would approve it since liquid has no chances of side effects.
3. Majority of people would take it.

But all this dosent happen. There is a reason for that. ORAL FINASTERIDE IS MORE EFFECTIVE THAN TOPICAL. You are just lying to yourself so that you can sleep well at night. Besides, I have seen your thread, you are like a norwood 3+ for sure. If you would've taken Finasteride orally, you would've probably been 2-. I don't have to explain myself to a person with a pathetic mindset as you do. Facts are facts. Just don't come and spread bull**** about stuff you have no proper knowledge of.

Kaotic_100

Reaction score
Obviously you didn't read the link. Merk made it solid because they were competing against Rogaine at the time. Rogaine had no generic competitors. Solid was supposed to be less maintenance than liquid.

Since you make facts up as you go along, and your either lying or showing wrong information, I'll display the information here (three scientists/doctors published this):

RESULTS:

The mean duration of hair loss was 18.8+/-23.10 months. Each month the terminal hair, size of bald area and hair count between the two groups were compared. There were no significant differences between the two groups as a viewpoint of hair thickness, hair counts and the size of bald area. Serial measurements indicated a significant increase in hair counts and terminal hair counts between the two groups.

CONCLUSIONS:

The results of this study showed that the therapeutic effects of both finasteride gel and finasteride tablet were relatively similar to each other.

And lots of companies are making liquid finasteride. Merk bought the patent for liquid finasteride. Why do you think they did that?

If you read the study, which you didn't, hair count was the same for both groups of men. The same. And so was the thickening of the strands. Half was given a placebo (one group the solid was a placebo), the other the liquid was a placebo. How do you explain that? Three scientists published that link.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, as far as your response about my hair, I didn't use the equivalent of 1mg of finasteride (liquid) until October 31st. Before that I was on .05 dosage (half the dose) from January 2015 through October 31st 2015.

Read the link and tell me what you think.

Stop making things up as you go along. I would like to see the link to that study you showed me. Or did you make all of that up?

I wasn't intending on this to turn out into a heated debate, right now it just became a matter of who's can prove who wrong. Everyone has their own preferences and if topical finasteride's working then that's fine, f*ck what studies show, studies show that only 1-2% of users of finasteride experience the side effects I'm afraid of and after looking at various users forums I can easily there is a close margin to 25-30% which experience these side effects. You two should stop acting like kids, these 'facts' that are being put out may even be false. Everyone's entitled to their own preferences and I do appreciate the help you guys have given me.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
By the way, as far as your response about my hair, I didn't use the equivalent of 1mg of finasteride (liquid) until October 31st. Before that I was on .05 dosage (half the dose) from January 2015 through October 31st 2015.

Before this, you used minoxidil on its own, with no finasteride, for about 20 years, is that right? Would you say that you were able to maintain your hair for a number of years with only minoxidil, or was it a slow steady loss?

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's very clear that you arent pushing anything on anybody, just relating your experience. Here's a thread where several people, like you, report success using only minoxidil for many years, not only a year or two.

edit - This site won't allow me to post it here as it's on another hair loss forum. Well, someone earlier asked me for evidence of others using minoxidil successfully for long term, and yes, it is out there. Use a little website I like to call "Google".

Kaotic_100

Reaction score
Is there any evidence which shows that Bradley cooper is taking propecia? I'm genuinely wondering, I thought most of these celebrities just embrace being bald and don't take any of these things

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
Is there any evidence which shows that Bradley cooper is taking propecia? I'm genuinely wondering, I thought most of these celebrities just embrace being bald and don't take any of these things

lmao you got to be joking, so many celebs are on propecia it's unreal

Johannes

Banned
Reaction score

I agree, and that is reason why have a pathetically shallow society.

shookwun

Reaction score
I haven't noticed minioxidil do anything to my hair expect make my skim blemish.

Propecia on other hand is a god send.

Johannes

Banned
Reaction score
I haven't noticed minioxidil do anything to my hair expect make my skim blemish.

Propecia on other hand is a god send.

Why?
For Merck making enormous profits, since we cannot handle hair loss by our own, and our great trust in the fraud pharma industry you mean?

Kaotic_100

Reaction score
Yes, it actually accelerated my hair loss.

Thanks for the answer bro. Do you mind showing me a picture if you have any? And also, are you positive that it was the minoxidil and not the fact that your male pattern baldness caught up to the effect of minoxidil causing it to become ineffective?

- - - Updated - - -

lmao you got to be joking, so many celebs are on propecia it's unreal
Hm guess you're right. Looking at your regimen I see you take castor oil. Does that help?