Does Minoxidil Make Your Thinner? Is It Like Shedding?

Kino14

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've started using Rogaine Foam 5% about three weeks ago, but I wasn't consistent and skipped days, etc. However for the last week I've been applying it consistently twice a day. So far I haven't really experienced any shedding that I can see, though I know it's definitely too early to tell. But the thing is I feel like my hair looks thinner ever since I started it, especially my hairline? I'm a diffuse thinner so I apply throughout the entire top scalp. Is the thinning a bad sign? It's really been worrying me because my hair is so thin as it is.

dm900

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Almost all topical medications will make your hair look thinner. The key to minoxidil is just consistency. If you respond positively there's a chance you will shed and typically regrowth follows. Minoxidil is a mixed bag because its a wonder drug for some people, honestly some results are incredible, but for others it literally doesn't make any difference.

Kino14

My Regimen
Reaction score
Almost all topical medications will make your hair look thinner. The key to minoxidil is just consistency. If you respond positively there's a chance you will shed and typically regrowth follows. Minoxidil is a mixed bag because its a wonder drug for some people, honestly some results are incredible, but for others it literally doesn't make any difference.
So the thinning is a good sign like how shedding supposedly is?

Tempura

My Regimen
Reaction score
So the thinning is a good sign like how shedding supposedly is?

Both yes and no. Hopefully you shed small hairs and you get thick hair there once it starts growing again. Some people get regrowth on bald spots (that 1% of users though) and some (like me) gets virtually nothing, throwing money into the toilet and f*****g your hairline in the process.

shookwun

Reaction score
initial shedding is a good sign.