“does Minoxidil Lose Its Effectiveness Over Time” What Does That Mean | HairLossTalk Forums
Dismiss Notice
Forum Update: Aug 19. Feedback for the Admin? Upgrade coming: Click Here.

“does Minoxidil Lose Its Effectiveness Over Time” What Does That Mean

Discussion in 'Men's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Stigabe, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Stigabe

Stigabe Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I see this statement very often but does it mean that minoxidil will stop regrowing new hair over the years or over the years you will lose the hair you already have regrow?

2. lexluthor.12

lexluthor.12 Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Minoxidil's effectiveness won't go but dht will overcome its effect over time if you don't use an anti androgen

3. Retinoid

Retinoid Senior Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Minoxidil works through a Prostaglandin/growth factor mechanism to grow hair. The vasodilation helps, but is not a method for growth. The offending force is still there however and is still doing damage. Some people can maintain with Minoxidil alone for a long time. Some people really don't have male pattern baldness to the extent where they are destined to progress to full baldness. For those that are destined to be totally bald, Minoxidil will not be enough as it is just working through one pathway.

For those with aggressive hair loss for that matter, Finasteride may not be enough either. Which is why there is the combination of treatments--Minoxidil (Prostaglandins), Finasteride/Duasteride (less Androgen activation, reduces follicular 5AR activity), Dermarolling/wounding (growth factors, stem cell activation), Caffeine (increases energy respiration in the follicle).