Does male pattern baldness depend on the country ? How ?

forzapanino

My Regimen
Reaction score
In Japan I saw many middle age men with a full head of hair, there's nothing close to it in any Western country.

WinningTheFight

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've seen claims that some Native American tribes used the Yucca plant to prevent hair loss, which is pretty interesting, though maybe it was used for hair loss that wasn't caused by androgenetic alopecia.
Its purely genetic otherwise how would their special prevention carry through to the generations who dont use any of the above. Obviously within the gene pool of the native americans hair loss just didn't exist. Its not uncommon to see families where all family members have zero hair loss like they are still norwood zero at age 50, so we can think of it as much larger family of that type.

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
Its purely genetic otherwise how would their special prevention carry through to the generations who dont use any of the above. Obviously within the gene pool of the native americans hair loss just didn't exist. Its not uncommon to see families where all family members have zero hair loss like they are still norwood zero at age 50, so we can think of it as much larger family of that type.
Yeah idk if it is actually true or not, just something I found while researching this online.

I wonder where and when male pattern baldness originated. It exists in Africans, but is virtually nonexistent in Amerindians and some other ethnic groups that were isolated from the outside world for a long time. I wonder if it existed in the very first humans and was then actively selected against within those groups, or if it came to be after those groups were isolated and then it spread within the Old World.

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was really amazed at the quality of the men’s hair when I was in Japan. I can’t imagine how lonely you would feel living there, and being seriously balding in your teens/twenties.

This was a taxi driver who looked like he was in late forties/ fifties

Attachments

• 91F009A5-DF62-41FE-ACDC-64C992F317EE.jpeg
    91F009A5-DF62-41FE-ACDC-64C992F317EE.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah idk if it is actually true or not, just something I found while researching this online.

I wonder where and when male pattern baldness originated. It exists in Africans, but is virtually nonexistent in Amerindians and some other ethnic groups that were isolated from the outside world for a long time. I wonder if it existed in the very first humans and was then actively selected against within those groups, or if it came to be after those groups were isolated and then it spread within the Old World.
There hasn't really been a comprehensive evolutionary study of MPA yet. I read an article on Nat Geo a while ago that proposed its appearance during the Ice Age, when Vitamin D deficiency became widespread: Thus, being bald would allow more exposure to sunlight and maybe solve the Vitamin D deficiency in the men that developed MPA.

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
There hasn't really been a comprehensive evolutionary study of MPA yet. I read an article on Nat Geo a while ago that proposed its appearance during the Ice Age, when Vitamin D deficiency became widespread: Thus, being bald would allow more exposure to sunlight and maybe solve the Vitamin D deficiency in the men that developed MPA.
Wouldn't Inuits have high rates of hair loss then? They live in environments with relatively little sunlight, yet androgenetic alopecia is rare among them.

Also, weren't there some studies that indicate a correlation between male pattern baldness and Vitamin D deficiency?

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wouldn't Inuits have high rates of hair loss then? They live in environments with relatively little sunlight, yet androgenetic alopecia is rare among them.

Also, weren't there some studies that indicate a correlation between male pattern baldness and Vitamin D deficiency?
Yeah the article didn't say anything about Inuits tho, it was mostly an opinion piece. As I said, there hasn't really been a comprehensive evolutionary study of MPA yet.

As far as I know Vitamin D deficiency can aggravate or worsen MPA, but I'd worry more about Osteoporosis. 30 mins of direct Sunlight a day are very important for keeping your bone density and overall structure.

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah the article didn't say anything about Inuits tho, it was mostly an opinion piece. As I said, there hasn't really been a comprehensive evolutionary study of MPA yet.

As far as I know Vitamin D deficiency can aggravate or worsen MPA, but I'd worry more about Osteoporosis. 30 mins of direct Sunlight a day are very important for keeping your bone density and overall structure.
About the Vitamin D deficiency I was thinking of this info:

Weird how male pattern baldness is still just viewed as a genetic trait or a cosmetic issue or something irrelevant. I think the only reason it is is due to how common it is. If it was a rare condition like alopecia areata it probably would be considered to be a disease or something close to it.

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
About the Vitamin D deficiency I was thinking of this info:

Weird how male pattern baldness is still just viewed as a genetic trait or a cosmetic issue or something irrelevant. I think the only reason it is is due to how common it is. If it was a rare condition like alopecia areata it probably would be considered to be a disease or something close to it.
There is a link between Vitamin D deficiency and balding faster, along with other health issues. About that paper, I wouldn't put much thought into it: The study was done on an extremely small pool of people (50 men in the study group and 25 men in the control group) in a country where Vitamin D deficiency is common (Russia) and published by a low impact factor magazine (Biological Trace Element Research). For the record, there are some studies that suggest a correlation between aggressive hairloss and heart attacks or cardiovascular diseases, but this has yet to be proven.

Andi0501

My Regimen
Reaction score
Of course male pattern baldness and the thickness of hair depends of the ethnicity.
Currently I m in holiday in Morocco and I m so much surprised how beautiful the moroccan population is, from the kids, females, males and even elder people!
The population here consists mainly of arabs and berbers who live peaceful together.
Most of them have so amazing thick and mostly dark brown to black hair and also deep and thick hairlines.
The most beautiful ladies i've ever seen are moroccans and I ve been travelled in all the world!

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thick and dense scalp hair are less prone to common baldness, and it is a genetical trait clearly, but not genetic trait with the lenght of scalp hair, longer is better. With these conditions sebum acumulation and consequent oxidation is avoided, this is the key IMHO.

Will Be an Egg in 5 years

My Regimen
Reaction score
My father died at 70 with a NW0. It was unbealivable. It did got finer as he got older but not thinner. And he only started to grey in his 60s. He had some Italian ancestry in his blood and his mother was black/mixed race.

My mother's genes is what fucked me. Her father to be exact. And he he had dutch ancestry.