Does male pattern baldness always start at the hairline?

TinTon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm just turning 34 years old and I've been very slowly going bald at the crown and spreading outwards for the past 6 or so years, but my hairline isn't receding yet as far as I can tell (touch wood).

Is that male pattern baldness or something else as everywhere I read seems to say that the hairline starts going first? Also I keep hearing things like 'an under-active thyroid can cause hair loss' so I'm just trying to figure my balding out before jumping on propecia.

I'll of course go see my GP for his/her opinion but thought I'd get some options on here too.

Cheers

Dazzel

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm just turning 34 years old and I've been very slowly going bald at the crown and spreading outwards for the past 6 or so years, but my hairline isn't receding yet as far as I can tell (touch wood).

Is that male pattern baldness or something else as everywhere I read seems to say that the hairline starts going first? Also I keep hearing things like 'an under-active thyroid can cause hair loss' so I'm just trying to figure my balding out before jumping on propecia.

I'll of course go see my GP for his/her opinion but thought I'd get some options on here too.

Cheers

No, the hairline doesn't have to go first, I know this because at 16 I started to thin on top but my hairline was still intact. Then at 17 it receded and that was when I started to hate it because it looks odd. Now the thinning and recession has gotten worse at 19. Now everyday is a bad hair day for me.

I wished I could just shave if off no guard and be done with it, but I don't feel right bald plus the recession shows and just feel awful.

You are rather lucky if you are just balding at the crown at 34 years old.

TinTon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, the hairline doesn't have to go first, I know this because at 16 I started to thin on top but my hairline was still intact. Then at 17 it receded and that was when I started to hate it because it looks odd. Now the thinning and recession has gotten worse at 19. Now everyday is a bad hair day for me.

I wished I could just shave if off no guard and be done with it, but I don't feel right bald plus the recession shows and just feel awful.

You are rather lucky if you are just balding at the crown at 34 years old.

Hey thanks for the input,

I guess I'm luckyish in terms balding later rather than sooner but I think we all feel like we've been given the short straw, I do especially as my dad probs has more hair than me and he's 60, must be true that it can skip a generation.

I know what you mean about not suiting the shaved look, I've got a big fat round head even when I had a full head of hair, without hair I will look pretty daft indeed.

Have you not been tempted by propecia?

user119

Reaction score
I always thought it could start at the crown as well.

And guys sorry for being a complete newb but how do i start a new thread?

TinTon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can start one now, you just need to have 4 thread posts as you now have, so go ahead son

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
There is no such thing as 'typical' Male Pattern Baldness, and every case for every man who has the condition is different. It could start with diffused thinning, start thinning at the crown, and/or even with the hairline starting to recede. Baldness is truly a unique problem since there's no easy way to fix it, is largely irreversible, and treating it is so slow.

rvahair1

Banned
Reaction score
It can happen in various ways. The most common is recession at the temples getting narrower and narrower. But I have seen others who have a bald spot on the top of their head (not the front) or losing hair in the back which creeps up to the front. The bald spots eventually grow wider covering more area. In some it doesn't progress , and in others it takes almost all the hair on top. So it really depends.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
I think it starts somewhere closer to the I'm finished line.

Iopu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It can start at the crown too. In uni in my massive lecture halls. I used to notice the start of slight thinning in the back of a lot of young guys heads.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think its more so the pattern you lose it in and not where it starts. If your losing like back/sides or circular bald spots or all over your entire head then ya you might want to look at other things.