Does Low Testosterone Mean That You Will Have Less Dht Levels And Thus Less Hairloss?

Zacruz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does having low test mean that you'll have lower DHT levels or is there no correlation?

OfficialWater

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
not necessarily, DHT doesn't cause hairloss but instead it is sensitivity to DHT. People with low levels of DHT who are also sensitive to it can experience extreme balding. Usually those are guys who can't grow beards and have a childish face but yet are still balding. On the other hand you can have high levels of DHT and have a low sensitivity. Those would be guys with full heads of hair and full beards. Most people fall in the middle of those two types.

Zacruz

My Regimen
Reaction score
not necessarily, DHT doesn't cause hairloss but instead it is sensitivity to DHT. People with low levels of DHT who are also sensitive to it can experience extreme balding. Usually those are guys who can't grow beards and have a childish face but yet are still balding. On the other hand you can have high levels of DHT and have a low sensitivity. Those would be guys with full heads of hair and full beards. Most people fall in the middle of those two types.

If thats the case why do people who take steroids (and thus increasing their testosterone) experience faster balding and whats the point of finasteride, doesnt it simply lower your DHT?

CBY76

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t have a blood result history to prove it but I would think less T= less DHT. My most recent blood test shows higher T/ free T and slightly elevated DHT. This is the first blood test since stopping propecia earlier this year and both t and DHT seem to have increased so in my example it seems DHT is increasing as my T is...
However as pointed out it’s the sensitivity to DHT that would be the primary reason for hair loss. Just read this forum and you see examples of people on propecia and even dutasteride who are still losing hair. It’s defintely a drug that works for the majority but not all...

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have sensitive hairs to DHT then it dose not matter you have 100 u or 1000 u DHT. But if your hairs are resistant to DHT then 10000 u of DHT wouldn't do any harm. DHT sensitivity is passed to men from mothers. Amount of t or DHT is not a matter of much concern. Best luck.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Does having low test mean that you'll have lower DHT levels or is there no correlation?

I would say having lower T increases the probability that you have low DHT also so lower speed and severity of male pattern baldness. So just in most cases. There is no absolute correlation with most things. Its just odds since we can only guess with our very limited understanding.

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say having lower T increases the probability that you have low DHT also so lower speed and severity of male pattern baldness. So just in most cases. There is no absolute correlation with most things. Its just odds since we can only guess with our very limited understanding.

No, the few studies we have looking at T levels vs male pattern baldness incidence show either no correlation or an inverse correlation.

The only other hormonal correlations that are known are with hypothyroidism and high dhea

OfficialWater

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If thats the case why do people who take steroids (and thus increasing their testosterone) experience faster balding and whats the point of finasteride, doesnt it simply lower your DHT?
I was speaking in general terms, it's not always that black and white right? Also people become more sensitive to DHT over time, so people who are predisposed to bald at age 40 for example might take steroids at 25 and increase their sensitivity and start experiencing that predisposed balding. It's a lot of moving factors that are near impossible to predict. Finasteride does reduce DHT therefore someone with a high sensitivity to DHT will have less DHT in their system and will react better to a lower amount in their system.

Ayr9

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No.I think that low t means higher levels of estrogen and higher levels of dht...Dht is an estrogen inhibitor and it increases to reduce estrogen which increases due to low levels of t.