Does Lack Of Any Shedding Mean A Minoxidil Non-responder?

timidhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know that early use of minoxidil often leads to some shedding, which itself is actually a GOOD sign that the drug is working and that the individual will likely be a good short-term and long-term responder of minoxidil.

I want to ask whether or not the LACK of any shedding in the first 1-2 months of minoxidil means that the individual will NOT likely respond to minoxidil.

My brother just started it. Been at this for 4 weeks. I am about to do the same. I am aware that it is too early to see any results, but there is absolutely no change at all, not even any slight sign of shedding. Any thoughts?

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know that early use of minoxidil often leads to some shedding, which itself is actually a GOOD sign that the drug is working and that the individual will likely be a good short-term and long-term responder of minoxidil.

I want to ask whether or not the LACK of any shedding in the first 1-2 months of minoxidil means that the individual will NOT likely respond to minoxidil.

My brother just started it. Been at this for 4 weeks. I am about to do the same. I am aware that it is too early to see any results, but there is absolutely no change at all, not even any slight sign of shedding. Any thoughts?
I have been on Min for just over 4 months. Started with the foam 2x /day and now on 6% with finasteride topical at night.
I didn't shed at all. Nothing noticeable anyways.
I'm getting significant regrowth or thickness.
I didn't have serious hairloss but enough to get me on treatment. Noticed the first growth signs after about 3 months.

timidhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. That's was very helpful. Just to clarify, so you are saying you don't see any (even trivial) growth sign within the first 3 months, not even pinpoint stubs of new follicles on your scalp?

I have been on Min for just over 4 months. Started with the foam 2x /day and now on 6% with finasteride topical at night.
I didn't shed at all. Nothing noticeable anyways.
I'm getting significant regrowth or thickness.
I didn't have serious hairloss but enough to get me on treatment. Noticed the first growth signs after about 3 months.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe saw something earlier along the hairline. I don't remember. The crown is my main concern though. And so far it's not as noticeable as the front. I still use a bit of toppik back there.
I no longer use toppik in the front areas though.
I also am using a derminator that last few months at 1.5 mm depth, 1x per week. With min right after.

Spacemann

My Regimen
Reaction score
It took me almost 6 months to see some good results. i switched from 5% to 2% today but i think it's a bad idea ....

timidhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
What did you switch to a lower % if you are seeing a good result on higher %? I thought you would want to go even higher...

It took me almost 6 months to see some good results. i switched from 5% to 2% today but i think it's a bad idea ....

Red October

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

You should have a look at @SaigonBlues thread. He said he didn't shed and yet had great results.