Does Ketokonazole 2% Alone Cause Hair Shedding Within 2 Days Of Usage?

Did you experienced initial hair shedding with Ketokonazole 2% shampoo

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LifeSucks5008

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on Ketokonazole 2% shampoo with zinc pyrithione (Brand : fungicide) as my doctor prescribed for 3 times a week.
He also prescribed for minoxidil which i don't want to try now because i have already heard that it delays balding for just only 2 years or 5 years like that.

Coming to the point,Before i started using ketokonazole...my hair roots were very painful when i moves or combs my hair especially from my temples and crown. Those were my balding areas as same as my father. My father is in nw4 or 5 now and he is 58 years old now.

But when i i start using keto..the pain from root has completely vanished and i was happy with that.But happiness didn't lasted so long when i i found my crown and temples were clearly visible the very next day in the mirror. When i pulled the hair.It easily came out and i found the end of the hair(i mean the follicle area of fallen hair) was very thin and was like burnt.

Is this normal.Should i wait for 1 month or 3 months ? Should i continue using keto?

MeDK

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why don't you talk with your doctor who prescribed it to you in the first place ?

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
yes, i shed like crazy using it. I just gave up when my hair really started to thin. Things returned to normal after.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are.u still.using keto.shampoo?... I am continuing using it

No I quit. I used it off and on for the past 15 years or more. It was about 10 years ago I noticed I shed like crazy on it. I eventually quit when my hair was noticeably thinner after months of use. I stopped and density returned only to try again a few years later with the same result.

For whatever reason keto and my scalp dont mix. I suspect I'm in a small minority but not everyone responds the same, you may fall under that same minority

LifeSucks5008

My Regimen
Reaction score
No I quit. I used it off and on for the past 15 years or more. It was about 10 years ago I noticed I shed like crazy on it. I eventually quit when my hair was noticeably thinner after months of use. I stopped and density returned only to try again a few years later with the same result.

For whatever reason keto and my scalp dont mix. I suspect I'm in a small minority but not everyone responds the same, you may fall under that same minority
But initial shedding is a good sign right?
I am confused ...i dont wamt to use minoxidil since it delays time only for 2 or 5 years.

LifeSucks5008

My Regimen
Reaction score

Hair root pain is completely gone and i feels like its a good sign

Last edited:

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
But initial shedding is a good sign right?
I am confused ...i dont wamt to use minoxidil since it delays time only for 2 or 5 years.

Well I tried it for many many months with no success. As I said I'm probably in the minority. I would suggest zix instead.

zeerax

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I did shed a lot of hair second time I used nizoral, but I kept using it and everything came back to normal.

Now I lose absolutely 0 hair on the day I use nizoral or selsun 2,5% (selenium sulfide)

LifeSucks5008

My Regimen
Reaction score
I did shed a lot of hair second time I used nizoral, but I kept using it and everything came back to normal.

Now I lose absolutely 0 hair on the day I use nizoral or selsun 2,5% (selenium sulfide)
Woww...you gave me hope man....atleast hope is needed now for me ....thanks bro...i am using fungicide 2%