Does Ketoconazole Have Side Effects?

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doubt it. Although if you're contemplating Nizoral it might result in dry hair but is easy fixable by using a good conditioner. Oils also work to reduce dry hair.

Raphael13

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nothing major that I know of. Maybe som dryness on scalp and minor irritations...

doyle11

Established Member
Reaction score
Makes my hair look unbelievably thin, also makes it feel like straw as said. Would not recommend using it more than a couple of times a week.

Otherwise, maybe some mild irritation. Negligible side effects really

The Gardener

Reaction score
I've had no side effects at all from it. I can agree with some of the posters above that it's hard on the hair... from what I had heard there are ingredients in it that are emulsifiers.. i.e., things that break up fat.. that are in the shampoo to break up the sebum layer on your scalp, and enhance absorption of the good stuff into the scalp. Ergo, using Nizoral excessively will dry out your scalp (which is GREAT for Ketoconazole application) but also dry out your hair (fats help keep your hair full).

I've felt these effects after using Nizoral.. the hair seems dry right after... but I only use it three times a week. So, it doesn't seem to have a lasting drying effect on my hair, in particular.

I don't doubt the comments above. I just say that perhaps you should experiment with the amount of Nizoral you are using for each application, and how often you are using it, and monitor the effects on your hair, and tweak as you go. Find a sweet spot with it, it can be done. From what I recall, the bottle says to only use a nickel-sized dollop of shampoo to treat the entire head... I would wager a guess that some folks probably squeeze a much larger amount into their hair when they use it, something on par with the amount of shampoo they use with ordinary shampoos, and are feeling the results of the excess application.

Raphael13

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Many people claim that nizoral makes their hair thicker. I guess it can go both ways..

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Must be dependent on hair type. Gets rid of 95% of my diffusion issues. Only use it once or twice a week but my hair definitely looks best with it, thick and full af.

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
I get bad sides that last a couple of days. I used it all the time for many years with no sides what so ever but then I went on propecia and crashed. Ever since the crash if I use nizoral my crash symptoms come back. My endocrine system must be super sensitive now....but fyI I'm not the average experience with nizoral or any antiandro med.