Does increased muscle mass increase testosterone/baldness

rand21

Reaction score
I was wondering if there was any consensus as to the effect of having alot of muscle and relation to testosterone. Does an additional 10 pounds of muscle increase free testosterone levels by say, 10 % and thereby contribute to baldness?

ali777

Reaction score
No, I don't think so... There are lots of threads in this forum about the subject.

My understanding is that working out increases testosterone levels which is needed to build muscle in the first place, but having higher testosterone levels doesn't by default mean that your DHT is gone up by the same amount as well..

rand21

Reaction score
Ah, so muscle in and of itself doesn't actualyl produce testosterone? And there is no clear consensus that increased testosterone actually increases DHT in the follicles that much?

ali777

Reaction score
rand21 said:
Ah, so muscle in and of itself doesn't actualyl produce testosterone? And there is no clear consensus that increased testosterone actually increases DHT in the follicles that much?

You are right, there is no clear consensus on this subject. It's like asking if masturbation causes hairloss...

I do resistance training 3 times a week, and my body is slowly slowly changing. I can feel the increased testosterone in my body, I wake up with a massive wood every morning and I'm not a morning person. I can only assume this is a result of my training.

My hair is better than before as well, so exercising is probably helping my hair rather than making it worse. mj9 is a work out freak (in a nice way), and he thinks he sheds more hair when he's involved in intense training.

rusty_y2k2

Established Member
Reaction score
I've always worked out, but I've been working out even more heavily the last couple months, no cardio at all - just heavy weights. I've put on about 7lbs since and I'm now more or less as heavy as i've ever been (in terms of lean mass) and my hair is as good as it's been in a while. I am also on the big 3 though.

The testosterone release from working out is VERY short lived... I've actually seen suggestion that those who work out over long time frames end up with slightly lower testosterone.

The benefits of working out, both aesthetically (and lets be honest, your being on this forum means you care about how you look) and in terms of health FAR outweigh the negatives in my opinion. This applies even more so if working out makes you start thinking about what you eat and making better choices. Just stay away from the temptations of steroids or pro-hormones because they DO have the potential to mess with your hair in a big way.