Does Healthy Hair Become Dependent On Minoxidil?

Notorious90

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thinking of starting minoxidil to help fill my temples but was wondering if it has an effect on healthy hair.
Does healthy hair become reliant on minoxidil and would you lose these as well as any gains if you were to stop.
By healthy hair I mean those susceptible to MBP but not miniaturised yet. I don't want to worsen the situation by adding min and wondering if I'd just return to baseline if I stop. I am currently taking finasteride and maintaining.
Thanks

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I returned to baseline after quitting topical minoxidil after a year. Took up to 2 months I think to actually feel it.

What is very important to know that if you quit minoxidil, your hair may or may not get even worse before it recovers and what a lot of people do is they quit and restart a few times because they are scared. Doing that will not help anything.

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Yakitori

I'm wondering, why did you quit minoxidil?

Because I didn't get any results and making my hair health worse, in other words, if you don't get regrowth but your hair looks thinner and more dry makes your overall appearance will be worse than not using it.

I'm considering trying oral mino though.

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! Do you know several / many cases where this sort of thing happened?

I guess your shedding cycle probably resets again. Generally with minoxidil is that you drop hairs to later regrow them thicker and healthier. Normally your hair falls out and regrows (granted that they are healthy and not prone to early hair loss) all the time rather than every 4-6 months.