Does having a hair transplant affect your personal life?

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm very embarrassed to have had a hair transplant done. I have bad scarring in the back, so cannot have the hair short, but I don't want to tell anyone, but i am too afraid to have my hair cut professionally, as I'd have to tell them otherwise they'll expose the scarring.

How about with women? I could imagine one day her running hands through my hair and if she did that in the back it could lift the hair up and she could see the open scarring, etc... so how on earth would I have a LT relationship with someone?? I could see them holding it against me if I told them, as I am "deceiving" them about my appearance and genes, though I'd be an a**h** if I held something against them. But oh well......

How did it impact you?

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
ive not had a hair transplant but i plan to sometime in 2007

im going to be straight upfront with my girlfriend and im pretty sure she'll come with me to canada(from the uk) to go get it done.

i can understand your worries about hairdressers and such but i wouldnt worry if i were you,they are paid to make your hair look good,either tell them you had a hair transplant or say you had an accident and youd like them to try and cut your hair in the best possible way to cover the scar.if they succeed in doing so theyll be happy they achieved it and im sure youll tip them good!

as for the girlfriend situation,i guess this can be applied to anything when it comes to women,if you cant be upfront and honest with her then shes not right for you,if any future woman you get loves you then it wont matter a bit,cliche but true.

as for the deceiving part,if any woman ever did get annoyed at you for this then a)she aint worth it and b)tell her you feel deceived when you first woke up next to her without her make up on,if shes really bitching then say you got the fright of your life,but im sure it wont come to that....

so in short,dont stress,find a GOOD woman........et voila !

:hairy:

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
libertine said:
ive not had a hair transplant but i plan to sometime in 2007

im going to be straight upfront with my girlfriend and im pretty sure she'll come with me to canada(from the uk) to go get it done.

i can understand your worries about hairdressers and such but i wouldnt worry if i were you,they are paid to make your hair look good,either tell them you had a hair transplant or say you had an accident and youd like them to try and cut your hair in the best possible way to cover the scar.if they succeed in doing so theyll be happy they achieved it and im sure youll tip them good!

as for the girlfriend situation,i guess this can be applied to anything when it comes to women,if you cant be upfront and honest with her then shes not right for you,if any future woman you get loves you then it wont matter a bit,cliche but true.

as for the deceiving part,if any woman ever did get annoyed at you for this then a)she aint worth it and b)tell her you feel deceived when you first woke up next to her without her make up on,if shes really bitching then say you got the fright of your life,but im sure it wont come to that....

so in short,dont stress,find a GOOD woman........et voila !

:hairy:

It doesn't help that I had bad hair transplant too :( oh well. at least you're going to someone that was competent. I had to spend thousands to undue the damage i had done, and now I have no more donor hair..

I remember once 2 years ago I cut my hair way too short, and there was a line in the back, and some chick asked me if I had been wearing a hat earlier. i was so embarrassed.. Sucks, my hair looks horrible short or long.. and it's curly too, so I can't hide anything.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Why are you embarassed to have a hair transplant? The only embarassing i can think of is the first weeks when your head will look like a mess with all the swelling etc.

And man, hiding your genes? Deceiving? So if you find a hot girl with a perfect body who has genes to be overweight but is on a strict diet and perhaps has taken medication or even surgery is she deceiving you? Would you prefer her to be fat? You think that if she is attracted to you, she is going to have a problem with your hair transplant? Or that something like a hair transplant could affect a lifetime relationship?

And man, please GO to a proffesional hairdresser. They can do miracles with your hair. If you are to embarassed dont go to a local one.

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
sphlanx2006 said:
Why are you embarassed to have a hair transplant? The only embarassing i can think of is the first weeks when your head will look like a mess with all the swelling etc.

And man, hiding your genes? Deceiving? So if you find a hot girl with a perfect body who has genes to be overweight but is on a strict diet and perhaps has taken medication or even surgery is she deceiving you? Would you prefer her to be fat? You think that if she is attracted to you, she is going to have a problem with your hair transplant? Or that something like a hair transplant could affect a lifetime relationship?

And man, please GO to a proffesional hairdresser. They can do miracles with your hair. If you are to embarassed dont go to a local one.

I absolutely cannot do it. I even made an appointment years ago for one that specifically deals with hair transplant patients. i was too embarrassed to show up. There's no way I'm going to get my hair cut.

Honestly, what can they do? My greatest concern is my massive forehead. I have curly, almost afro like hair. it grows up, and because my hair transplant was bad, the hair grows in the wrong direction so I cannot comb it to cover my forehead at all. Straigtening hairs causes it to fall out, which probably led to most of my hairloss back in the mid 1990s...

The scarring in the back is bad. I should try to take a pic of it some day

mike20768

Reaction score
I know what you mean. Trying to hide my scar is a &*^%. I have only had one girl see it and asked me about it. i told her I had surgery a while ago for a cyst on my skull.lol Whatever right....

im not embarassed by it anymore. I watch TV and see all the crazy things people do to themselves like Breast implants, lips, ears, nose etc etc.

All im doing is moving hair from one place to another to cover up my baldness. Its not like Im wearing a wig. Its my own hair. When I was researching and going to different offices for consultations, I prayed a good looking girl didnt work there..LOL

As far as the women, a good women will support and love you regardless. If she is that shallow to leave you or not talk to you because of a hair transplant, then she was garbage in the first place.

I wear toppik sometimes to cover the minor thinning I have and sometimes when im out in the club or somewhere, Im always thinking I hope no one runs there hand through my hair or messes with it and gets black stuff all over their hand..lol

Dont worry, dont think to much about it. dont surround your life around these petty things. This is the way God wanted you to be. In his eyes, you are perfect, thats all that matters.

Be grateful that atleast there are some types of treatment for hairloss nowadays.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Recboi, I can understand this too. Its just plain embarassing! Not the going bald part but the fact that we've had to resort to drastic surgery to try and change how we naturally are. And the worse the results the more embarrasing it is. I think it depends on the individual persons self confidence, I'm amazed when I read posts from people who've been totally upfront about it even to work colleages etc. As for telling a woman that would be highly stressful. You'd have to wait until you were secure enough in the relationship to be able to confess this. I dont think that she would consider it decietful but its hardly an attractive point is is it. Sorry I could'nt really offer any support.

michael barry

Reaction score
If your genes are going to make you very horseshoe bald, you will have a bad transplant experience eventually no matter how good it looks early on.

Men like Vice President Dick Cheney simply do not have ENOUGH hair to transplant successfully, period.

Thats the thing about transplants, you have to make sure you have "enough" hair to even consider having one. Men who go above NW4 or 5 shouldnt even consider them in my opinion. Not enough hair to spread over all that scalp.

smirkey

Reaction score
sorry to hear about your bad hair transplant,how many years go did you have it done and where to.
Did the Doctor do triclosure

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
mike20768 said:
I know what you mean. Trying to hide my scar is a &*^%. I have only had one girl see it and asked me about it. i told her I had surgery a while ago for a cyst on my skull.lol Whatever right....

im not embarassed by it anymore. I watch TV and see all the crazy things people do to themselves like Breast implants, lips, ears, nose etc etc.

All im doing is moving hair from one place to another to cover up my baldness. Its not like Im wearing a wig. Its my own hair. When I was researching and going to different offices for consultations, I prayed a good looking girl didnt work there..LOL

As far as the women, a good women will support and love you regardless. If she is that shallow to leave you or not talk to you because of a hair transplant, then she was garbage in the first place.

I wear toppik sometimes to cover the minor thinning I have and sometimes when im out in the club or somewhere, Im always thinking I hope no one runs there hand through my hair or messes with it and gets black stuff all over their hand..lol

Dont worry, dont think to much about it. dont surround your life around these petty things. This is the way God wanted you to be. In his eyes, you are perfect, thats all that matters.

Be grateful that atleast there are some types of treatment for hairloss nowadays.

you're lucky you have just the line scar. I have that AND the open donor scarring, so there's a bunch of holes on the back of my head.

I wish I could say those kinds of women are the minority, but they're not. Remember, concern for one's appearance is considered a feminine trait, and feminine traits in men are repulsive to women. She'll consider you shallow, even though she might have had a breast implant, nose job, etc... it's hypocritical, but thats how a lot of them function. That also eliminates lots and lots of women. Problem is that I cannot lie to someone about the source of the scar, because in the future I might have to get more hair transplant if they come up with the multiplication. Right now, in the AM, it's pretty obvious that I've had hair transplant, it looks more pluggy. Also when wet, it's obvious. So that means never bathing with a woman or her seeing me come right out fo the shower, though my hair dries REALLY quickly.. I honestly wonder how I've ever slept in the same bad as women

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
smirkey said:
sorry to hear about your bad hair transplant,how many years go did you have it done and where to.
Did the Doctor do triclosure

I had several sessions of plugs done starting about 10 years ago by Dr. Kiely in Maryland. I kept on going back to him because I thought something was wrong, that areas didn't have growth. What I didn't realize was that he was doing the cornrow method, and of course there wasn't going to be hair there. So I kept on going back. When I finally realize it wasn't even going to look natural that way, I went to MHR for 2 sessions maybe 6-7 years ago. They used up the rest of my donor supply and didn't make much if any improvement. it was still very pluggy. they tried to camoflage it. So then starting in 2002 I went to Dr. Bernstein in NY (then he was part of NHI) and he did three graft excision procedures, and told me up front I was pretty much totally screwed. I'm absolutely out of donor supply. It looks much better, but is not what I would consider ideal. At times it still looks a little pluggy. It was a pain having the excisions done because it was pretty obvious at the time. Thank God I was in school, so I could wear a hat all the time. I pray for the day I can do BHT or multiplication and finish my hairline and have something for the future if the meds don't work. if I could finish up the hairline, and maybe even put in hairs back into the donor area, I might be able to go the rest of my life without having to tell anyone, but I'm really hesitant to even get involved with anyone for fear of having to reveal that I've got to have work done or admit that I've had work done. At least it's no longer blatantly obvious I had work done. However the scarring will always give it away if I cut my hair myself too short.

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you had gone to a good surgeon you wouldn't have problems with your scar. Mine is 1mm wide. I cannot detect it myself under heavy light.

s.a.f

Reaction score
recboi said:
Remember, concern for one's appearance is considered a feminine trait, and feminine traits in men are repulsive to women. She'll consider you shallow,

Yeah this is true unfortunatly. Women may like men to take a pride in their appearance but anything unnatural is not manly and is considered as a lack of confidence.

I honestly wonder how I've ever slept in the same bad as women

So do I you seem to have lost the plot.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
seems like the content is zig zagging and going off topic.

:eek:

arnold

Reaction score
Embarrassed

Here's my 2 cents. I'm 44 years old and I'm quite sure that when you look and feel your best, your confidence level is high. Women like a confident guy. Also, people do start out by judging the book by it's cover. It's human nature. Of course it's what's inside that counts. If having a successful hair transplant gives you the look which makes you happy, then go for it. I'd be more embarrassed if I didn't go for it. It's called regret. No regrets...go for it and don't look back. The scar from a strip is hidden under your hair......you're a man.....most men's hair thins and / or falls out. That's life. Whatever you do, you will have to ultimately live with it so think it out.
Happy New Year!

CCS

Reaction score
thylax said:
If you had gone to a good surgeon you wouldn't have problems with your scar. Mine is 1mm wide. I cannot detect it myself under heavy light.

I went to a good surgeon and have a 1/4 scar. No matter who you go to, you must keep your head back for several weeks to keep tension off the scar. It also depends on how much laxity you have in your scalp.

v-head

Reaction score
Mate, I'm sorry that this is messing with your head so much. That sucks.

However, no matter what your insecurity in life (and everyone has them) if you find a good woman that really cares about you, she'll understand.

I told my girlfriend about mine and she's 100% fine about it.

Also, people feed of your confidence or lack there of. If you pass this off as no big deal, you have a better chance of other people picking up on that vibe and going with it.

Having said all of that, there are quite a few doctors out there that do great scar repair work.