Does genetic hair loss ever stop or slow down?

crisis

Reaction score
has anyone heard of/seen hairloss significantly slowing down or even stop?

i ask because my father has quite thinly distributed hair but has no bald patches as such or a particulary receeded hair line and it has always been like that as far as i can remember.

i am 22 and have been losing hair (diffuse thinning) for about 2.5 years. if it carries on the rate it is going i guess i will have over taken my 54 year old father's hair loss in about 4 years. is it possible the same thing happened to my father but then slowed down considerably?

i don't want to ask him about it either. stupid i know but i just don't want to right now.

thanks.

G

Yes it can stop or slow down.

Balding or recession seems to often come in 'spikes'. You may have a year or so of balding and then stay the same for 5 years or for 20, or you could lose the lot in a year.

That's the Norwood Lottery.

Take your ticket and watch your number come in.......

G

I think it´s a matter of physical space. When the follicles are packed tightly then the DHT induced inflammation is severe but once you lose alot of follicles then the inflammation is less severe and the hairloss is much slower.

People with the wrong scalp setup go bald fast.

jambri

Established Member
Reaction score
Almost everyone will display some signs of balding by the time they are 40, but very few will reach NW6 or 7 in their lives. Beginning to bald early has little significance in terms of the larger picture. Take two people, one begins balding at twenty, and the other begins balding at forty. They may both have the same Norwood level of baldness when they reach 50. It can go either way.

My own father has had NW3 since he was 18, without seeing any further progression.

IceZ

Reaction score
jambri said:
Almost everyone will display some signs of balding by the time they are 40, but very few will reach NW6 or 7 in their lives. Beginning to bald early has little significance in terms of the larger picture. Take two people, one begins balding at twenty, and the other begins balding at forty. They may both have the same Norwood level of baldness when they reach 50. It can go either way.

My own father has had NW3 since he was 18, without seeing any further progression.

My uncles are the same. they are in their 50's now, and still a NW3. I remember them being NW3 in their 30's. Sure their hairlines are pushed back, but they never went bald.. Very strange. My dad is the same. he has very fine hair. I remember he went through a couple of years, late 40's, when he started to panic because his hair was thinning out quickly. then all of a sudden it stopped and for the last 3-4 years, his hair has not really changed...

WithTheLidOff

Established Member
Reaction score
by the way..hairloss DOES come in spikes for a lot of people. Its all about the amount in a particular cycle of the growth phase. If a majority of them are in the fallout phase and come off..then what was once a thick head of hair comes back finer and thinner. This can all happen very quickly. The ONLY good news is that after that disaster takes placeit shoudl stabilize for at least a little bit.

jambri

Established Member
Reaction score
Most people will stabilize and not go beyond NW3 or NW4 their whole lives. It is rare and unlucky male pattern baldness sufferers that ever reach NW5, NW6 or NW7. I don't have exact stats, but just take a look around. It's obvious.

With this in mind, most of us should really not be worrying all that much. With a combination of hair transplant (currently available and very authentic looking), HM or other therapies soon to hit the market, most of us will never have to worry about going bald our whole lives.