Does Fish Oil cause Hair Shedding?

Annie

Reaction score
Cod Liver Oil

I found this forum on searching for hair loss and flax seed oil. I get extreme and rapid hair loss if I take cod liver oil or flax seed oil. I've read that it's something about them being PUFAs - polyunsaturated fatty acids. I have a thyroid problem so perhaps this has something to do with why I lose so much hair on them. I've also tried taking the whole flax seed (in flax seed crackers) but still get the hair loss. I've had a few bouts now over a number of years - the most recent being when I decided to make the flax seed crackers as the consensus seemed to be that it was the oil in isolation, not the whole seed, that was the problem. Once the hair loss gets triggered, it happens quite rapidly and then takes about six months to grow back. It took me a while to make the link because I'd always thought cod liver oil was a health food/tonic - but it happens even with good quality cod liver oils. I think taking traditional Chinese herb formulas helps with regrowth but I'm not quite sure. I think also having good iron levels might help me as I know this can be an issue with hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's (thyroid autoimmune disorder).

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
No, if fish oil caused shedding I think the millions of users worldwide would have noticed and said something by now.

AlexieJ

Reaction score
I don't think fish oil can cause hair shedding in any possible way. I'm pretty sure there is no clear evidence or scientific explanation to that blame.

Aleksandar

Established Member
Reaction score
Last year I took fish oil for a while. I got a HUGE shedding! Nothing I ever experienced before. I can't say a 100% that it was caused by the fish oil, but I believe it was. When I stopped taking fish oil, my shedding stopped.

After that out of panic I started using Ketoconazole shampoo and had great regrowth. After 5 months the Ketoconazole shampoo seemed to have lost it effectiveness. Now I'm back to where I was before I started using fish oil.

Now it is possible that the fish oil caused the shedding just to replace it with new (stronger) hairs. But I too scared to try it again, the shedding really freaked me out at the time.

rachel44

My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay. I started having hair fall out by the handfulls after I started taking 6-8 Walmart brand fish oils a day. I did this for about 5 days. That is all it took. I was surprised. Also I was thinking-is this natural? Maybe part of the follicular healing process is to shed these old hairs. But how in the heck is that restorative? Doesn't make any sense. Also from taking fish oil my nails have gotten nice and thick and strong. But yet my hair is just falling in clumps. Huge clumps and I have really thick hair so I'm like...okay maybe it will stop.

Reaction score
Ok. So the solution is....do not eat fish oil. Yes it causes hair shedding and all sorts of problems no matter what type. What you want to do is get some worms and a fishing pole and catch real fish. Freeze them and cook them. Forget the oil. Many of us in the US have “conditions” like Fibromyalgia, Diabetes, depression and it is caused by neurotoxic guts from both infections such as mycoplasma and or Lyme combined with pollutants, and poor food quality loaded with chemicals. The solution. Go fishing, eat rice and beans, get sun. You’ll be fine. Toss that fish oil

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i have been taking the carlson's fish oil just recently but form the first few days i already noticed less itch and inflammatory symptoms on my scalp, less lathargy . reduced sweating and body heat and better sleep and wake patterns and as well as less brain fog ...ANd i think it does something for sex drive and erectile function as well.. hair texture feels different... and the scaps does not have that burning sensation when u scratch it ( caused by prolonged inflammation induced by DHT)

From my experience taking finasteride, it has some very mild finasteride effects as well such as slight depressive symptoms or hyperactivity ..especially on the libido, it causes blood flow to the genitals but the erectile function seems to be slightly inhibited ( not as drastic as finasteride).

i think the key is to introduce it to yr body in a gradual way..

Start by taking 3x a week... for first month continue this

Debster

My Regimen
Reaction score
Cod Liver Oil

I found this forum on searching for hair loss and flax seed oil. I get extreme and rapid hair loss if I take cod liver oil or flax seed oil. I've read that it's something about them being PUFAs - polyunsaturated fatty acids. I have a thyroid problem so perhaps this has something to do with why I lose so much hair on them. I've also tried taking the whole flax seed (in flax seed crackers) but still get the hair loss. I've had a few bouts now over a number of years - the most recent being when I decided to make the flax seed crackers as the consensus seemed to be that it was the oil in isolation, not the whole seed, that was the problem. Once the hair loss gets triggered, it happens quite rapidly and then takes about six months to grow back. It took me a while to make the link because I'd always thought cod liver oil was a health food/tonic - but it happens even with good quality cod liver oils. I think taking traditional Chinese herb formulas helps with regrowth but I'm not quite sure. I think also having good iron levels might help me as I know this can be an issue with hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's (thyroid autoimmune disorder).
Thyroid is your most likely culprit,