Does Fish Oil cause Hair Shedding?

thickson2

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just wondering has anyone experienced increased shedding while taking fish oil ?

The last couple of months i noticed i had an increase in shedding , and the only thing I was doing differently was taking fish oil.
I stopped taking it for 2 weeks and my shedding seemed to decrease . I started taking the fish oil because of some knee pain i was having and it did
a good job at relieving the pain , i was also having some occasional back pain due to my bed which i need to get replaced , the fish oil also seemed to relieve that pain too.

I've looked on various sites and forums and as always there's mixed opinions some say they've found an increase in shedding and others say they haven't

I have noticed my libido and sex drive are a little higher while taking it , but i would say it feels like it's at a normal level or maybe a bit higher than usual.

I know there's different strength fish oils but i just bought one that a friend recommended , i would like to keep taking the fish oil for its health benefits
should i maybe try a lower strength one ?

A

andrew lincoln

This is random but when you take fish oil, do you ever get that fish taste in your mouth if you burp? I had to stop taking it for that reason it was just grossing me out, lol!

HairShocka

Reaction score
I really don't think fish oil affects shedding. Even if it does, definitely nothing close to finasteride sheds. I used to take Fish Oil for health purposes long before starting finasteride and first signs of balding.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yes I have heard of it but not sure if that's true..I used to take fishoil capsules daily but got scared and stopped taking them...

princessRambo

Established Member
Reaction score
There is no way I can see how fish oil can do any harm to your hair, if anything, it should do some real good, especially in the western diet that is insanely lopsided in omega6 intake. I take slightly more than 3000 mg omega 3 a day, that is equivalent to more than 10 fish oil pills (regular ones you will find at walmart/target), i have notice nothing but good things, less scalp inflammation, increased libido, less acnee, etc.

ABJac

Reaction score
It is almost exclusively women posting on the site linked above, and I would have to agree with Rambo. With so many finite factors known to cause hair loss; androgens, DHT, poor circulation, etc. I find it very very far fetched that one of the most if not the most recommended supplement known to man is having any adverse health effects let alone causing people to loose hair. The posts also favored flax oil as apposed to omegas. If you start losing hair from Omega 3's, chances are you would have started anyway your timing just lined up.

http://www.hairloss-research.org/UpdateFishOil8-12.html

rcom440

Reaction score
There seems to be negative propaganda against fish oil supplements in the US medias. Now they say the newest study shows fish oil can cause prostate cancer in men so it's not recomended for men over 50s to take it. There was also study they mentioned on tv and all over the internet that the fish oil supplements may cause heat problems as they contain processed fish oil. I looked at both studies and they are complete non sense. The one about fish oil causing prostate cancer is basically inconclusive.
Fish oil is totally beneficial also when it comes to the hairloss.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Fish oil is good. no shedding. Omega 3 is anti-inflammatory. Stop drinking the kool-aid just buy a good brand with high epa dha and put it in the fridge.

anxious1

Established Member
Reaction score
all those comments on that page of hairfall are about flax seed oil. not fish oil

Chris2014

Reaction score
I am facing the same problem

Hi Thickson2,
I'm facing the same problem. I used fish oil regularly for a year at my 17, then I started loosing hair drastically. I didn't guess it then.

After 11 years now, I read benefits of fish oil omega 3. So I bought Kirkland omega-3 Fish oil. I took it for a week and my sexual drive is really high. Also, I started losing hair drastically. So I have been googling if there's any research about these cases. So looks like I'm not alone. Let me know if you are still taking it and how is it affecting you.

It could be hoax that it is causing prostate cancer and whatsoever. But I think researchers should seriously, study this case, even though it might hamper fish oil business. People deserves truth. :protest:

Chris

Hi guys

Just wondering has anyone experienced increased shedding while taking fish oil ?

The last couple of months i noticed i had an increase in shedding , and the only thing I was doing differently was taking fish oil.
I stopped taking it for 2 weeks and my shedding seemed to decrease . I started taking the fish oil because of some knee pain i was having and it did
a good job at relieving the pain , i was also having some occasional back pain due to my bed which i need to get replaced , the fish oil also seemed to relieve that pain too.

I've looked on various sites and forums and as always there's mixed opinions some say they've found an increase in shedding and others say they haven't

I have noticed my libido and sex drive are a little higher while taking it , but i would say it feels like it's at a normal level or maybe a bit higher than usual.

I know there's different strength fish oils but i just bought one that a friend recommended , i would like to keep taking the fish oil for its health benefits

dehoha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
seconding what anxious1 said, I've seen posts that states flaxseed oil causes shedding, but never seen one from fish oil. I took fish oil for a while, and it did not cause any shedding. On the other hand, it caused horrible break out on my neck and face.

Chris2014

Reaction score
Krill pills

Hi Mikazz,
Yah if you eat certain categories of fish directly, it could be contaminated with mercury. But we are talking about industrially purified fish oil, made of anchovies/sardines which have least percentage of mercury among all fish.
The last block in the picture could be wrong, as it claims fish oil capsules are made of fish contaminated with heavy metals. Duh, not necessarily! This picture could have been developed by krill pills marketers.

Fish oil is bad. Full of mercury that make your hair fall.

Use Krill Oil instead, it's safer. A little less cheaper, but you won't have to worry about mercury and it is also more potent.

Check this chart: http://media.mercola.com/assets/images/infographic/krill-oil-vs-fish-oil.jpg

Chris2014

Reaction score
Hi Mikazz,
It is not necessarily true. Fish oil are made of sardines/anchovy which have least concentration of mercury level. Also industrial production labs, make sure about its mercury level is really low ppm.
The last block in the picture is surely incorrect. It seems like it was made by krill pills marketers.
If someone else have used krill pills, let us know your improvement and time period used so far.

Fish oil is bad. Full of mercury that make your hair fall.

Use Krill Oil instead, it's safer. A little less cheaper, but you won't have to worry about mercury and it is also more potent.

Check this chart: http://media.mercola.com/assets/images/infographic/krill-oil-vs-fish-oil.jpg

Mikazz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Mikazz,
It is not necessarily true. Fish oil are made of sardines/anchovy which have least concentration of mercury level. Also industrial production labs, make sure about its mercury level is really low ppm.
The last block in the picture is surely incorrect. It seems like it was made by krill pills marketers.
If someone else have used krill pills, let us know your improvement and time period used so far.

Fish oil can be almost as good as krill oil, but buying krill oil is generally safer and has some small advantages (it comes with a antioxident, and it is more easily used by the brain because it is phosphorylated) .

Reaction score
Yes fishoil causes hairloss

Hi guys

-------------------
Make no mistake about it. All Fish Oil has caused me to have hair loss. Everytime. I can take fish oil of brands in the US and brands from the UK or high priced ones from alaska. Krill, cod liver etc. everyone causes me to have handfuls of hairloss. Without question. If i took it for 1 week i would have 3 pieces of hair left on my head. Fortunately i discontinued and still have a full head of hair after the hair loss. Fish oil is a trendy fad and another sale of garbage with lies surrounding its effectiveness. It causes diabetes, weight gain and hair loss. Don't let these salesman on here sell you. Fish oil is worse than cocaine and theres no question. Jerks!!

ableright

Reaction score
I've never heard of fish oils causing shedding I.E. I don't think there is any scientific evidence for that to occur!