Does Finasteride Work?

Tyler_Durden

Established Member
Reaction score
No, the finasteride is a lie!

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It works well and is tolerated well by most, but not by all. The best place to get information is your doctor; if he doesn't know anything about finasteride, find one who does.

I've personally had a positive experience with it.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
I've been on it for almost 3 years. I've noticed no sides, my hairloss has basically stopped on my crown, and it's slowed greatly on the temples.

I got 1mg pills and used a pill cutter to cut in half. Took the .5mg pills for 2.5 years. Recently went to 1mg to see if I can get a little more hair back (planning a move to LA soon to try and get into the film industry). Still haven't had any sides.

Be careful of believing everything you read. Part of the "placebo effect" is "if you believe it, it will happen". If you believe you'll get the sides, then you probably will notice them and it will stress you out.

Go into it with an open mind, but keep alert. Stop it if you get any.

wilderness20

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. Can Finasteride cause worse hair loss damage? I have been on it for two weeks now (5 mg every 4 days) and I have noticed an increase in my hair loss. I've had Telogen Effluvium for a few months now and suddenly its worsened. I normally lose around 50 hairs a day and now I am losing over 200. I rub my hand through my hair after I have shampooed and dried and 40 hairs easily come out rubbing my head over my crown 15-20 times, without even pulling. Is this normal? Will my hair come back? I understand the hair falling out is already dead, keratized, telogen hair. I am just wondering if it will come back or if finasteride is mimicking Telogen Effluvium/male pattern baldness permanent hair loss.

I am not worried about the sexual symptoms or other sides, they haven't happened and are a low likelihood. My question is strictly in response to finasteride worsening guys hair loss, causing permanent hair damage.

wilderness20

Reaction score
Rawtashk said:
I've been on it for almost 3 years. I've noticed no sides, my hairloss has basically stopped on my crown, and it's slowed greatly on the temples.

I got 1mg pills and used a pill cutter to cut in half. Took the .5mg pills for 2.5 years. Recently went to 1mg to see if I can get a little more hair back (planning a move to LA soon to try and get into the film industry). Still haven't had any sides.

Be careful of believing everything you read. Part of the "placebo effect" is "if you believe it, it will happen". If you believe you'll get the sides, then you probably will notice them and it will stress you out.

Go into it with an open mind, but keep alert. Stop it if you get any.

Hey man, so I've been on Generic finasteride 1.25mg daily for 4 months now. No noticeable sides. I have however experienced significant shedding on crown since 3 weeks of starting finasteride. Will I regrow the shed hair? Most of the hair I notice falling out seems to be miniaturized. Is the finasteride replacing this with thicker hair or killing it...or can it vary?

I am trying to not let this control my life and ride out the finasteride for a year as I've been advised...

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have basically started shedding about a month after I started finasteride. Now I'm 3 months in and I itch and shed some days and not others. Today I am itchy and sheddy. I have thick hair so finasteride better not thin it out or I'll be mad I ever started it. Scientifically speaking, barring some unique allergic reaction, I don't see how finasteride could hurt your hair scalp hair health.

wilderness20

Reaction score
Lloyd Braun said:
Yeah, I have basically started shedding about a month after I started finasteride. Now I'm 3 months in and I itch and shed some days and not others. Today I am itchy and sheddy. I have thick hair so finasteride better not thin it out or I'll be mad I ever started it. Scientifically speaking, barring some unique allergic reaction, I don't see how finasteride could hurt your hair scalp hair health.

Thanks for the feedback. Are you using Nizoral? I think i am going to start using it. I have bad dandruff and my scalp is tight from stress. I am worried that the nizoral might cause further shedding as from what I've read it can be too aggressive on some dudes...

wow

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
wilderness20 said:
Lloyd Braun said:

Thanks for the feedback. Are you using Nizoral? I think i am going to start using it. I have bad dandruff and my scalp is tight from stress. I am worried that the nizoral might cause further shedding as from what I've read it can be too aggressive on some dudes...

wow

No I am not using Nizoral, although I used to use it. It didn't cause worse shedding but it didn't help with hair loss either. If you have dandruff you may want to give it a try.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Been on it 16 months, great so far. Hairloss totally stopped and thickened up significantly with the help of minoxidil.

I still have thin patchy-ish hair, I just wish I'd started earlier.

Works though, no doubt.

maximiliandreams

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude,don't listen this morons... continue the finasteride,it's working ... believe me,after the shedding your hair will regrowth trust me ! :innocent:

edit : i suggest you to use it 1.25mg/day cut that pill into 4 pieces. ;)
And..yes,you should deffinitely start Nizoral,as it is weak DHT inhibitor,but its also good for you scalp ;)