"Does finasteride work on the hairline"&"How soon do I see results?"

Rawtashk

Reaction score
The answer to this question varies for each person. Here's how it worked for me.

Yes, it worked on the hairline for me. One of the things my mother-in-law gave my wife and I for Christmas was a photobook of our wedding (July 2009). I flipped through it and noticed a picture of me with my groomsmen. First thing that came to my mind was "...how did I not realize how much I was thinning at the front!?"

7I3Vm.jpg

The picture of me on the right was taken just a few days ago. Granted, there is no harsh flash like the wedding picture, but there is a light bar with 4 bulbs about 2 feet in front/above me. No, not "OMG! SO AMAZING!" on the regrowth stage, but any regrowth is good once your hair starts falling out.

As for the "how soon do I see results?" question...I started taking finasteride in May of 2008. So, the pic on the left I had been on it for 14months. Just because you don't see a drastic difference within the first few (or even 12) months DOES NOT mean that you're not responding, or that it's not working for you. Remember, this stuff takes time, and you see yourself every day. It's hard to judge something that happens so gradually over time.

Rocky V

Established Member
Reaction score
thats good to know man.

quick couple of questions

is it better to take finasteride in the morning or night?

how soon do people notice side effects from initially taking finasteride?

will taking an aromatase inhibitor like zinc 50mg overpower the effect of finasteride?

thanks

rtc84

Established Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter If you take it in the morning/night, just try to take it at the same time everyday within a 2-3 hr window if possible. I take it in the mornings because sometimes I'm busy at night/have wine and I'd just rather not take finasteride the same time I consume alcohol.

I've been taking finasteride for 4 months with no sides.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Rocky V said:
is it better to take finasteride in the morning or night?

I take it at night, right before bed. That's how I've always taken it. I read the propeciahelp stories before starting finasteride, and some people say that it makes them tired and "brain fogged" for a few hours after taking it. I figured "Well, I won't notice any of that if I'm sleeping!"

Rocky V said:
how soon do people notice side effects from initially taking finasteride?

Again, it all depends. If you're going to have bad sides, then I would expect that you'd know within a month or so. I got some ball ache within a few days of starting finasteride, and I got it again when I upped the dose from .5 to 1.25mg.

Rocky V said:
will taking an aromatase inhibitor like zinc 50mg overpower the effect of finasteride?

If you mean "Will it cancel out finasteride?" then the answer is no. finasteride is a b5-alpha-reductase inhibitor. Basically it means that it helps to reduce the amount of Testosterone that's converted into DHT. Aromatase inhibitors block the production of estrogen. Too much estrogen provides a list of issues in men, such as gyno and extra fat around your midsection.

Aromatase converts Testosterone into estradiol, and the fact that you're already inhibiting the conversion of Testosterone into DHT could potentially mean that it would throw off the conversion into estradiol as well (IE: More conversion). Keep in mind that it's FAR from a guarantee that this will happen if you take finasteride, but the slight chance is there.

Personally, I take 50mg of zinc every other day, and every day I take a multi-vitamin that has 20mg of zinc in it. I figured that it couldn't hurt to already have that in place :)

(I am NOT a biologist, scientist, doctor, or anything like that. If I've made a mistake in what I've said here, then someone PLEASE point it out and post the corrected version. Thanks!)

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
Rawtashk said:
Rocky V said:
Aromatase converts Testosterone into estradiol, and the fact that you're already inhibiting the conversion of Testosterone into DHT could potentially mean that it would throw off the conversion into estradiol as well (IE: More conversion). Keep in mind that it's FAR from a guarantee that this will happen if you take finasteride, but the slight chance is there.

Surely it is a given that there will be an increased level of estrogen. at least everything i've read so far has suggested that. And also by the sounds of it a lower level of free usable testosterone.

Rocky V

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks guys

I started finasteride about three days ago, I had some testicular pain but that went away. Hopefully there are no side effects later

Reaction score
I hope I have similar results. I started Finpecia around four months ago. My head stopped itching around two weeks into it after constantly itching for a year or so. I have had an increase in morning wood but about two weeks ago I started having a constant ache under each nipple. My hair looks healthier overall and I only shed for around four weeks two months into it.
However, my hairline continues to thin out. I am thinking about adding Rogain at this point. Damn temples. :dunno:

israelite

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i saw some regrowth of the hairline w/ finn & rogaine1 i am seeing major regrowth with cb-03-01, ahk, pres proxiphen

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
Rawtashk said:
The answer to this question varies for each person. Here's how it worked for me.

Yes, it worked on the hairline for me. One of the things my mother-in-law gave my wife and I for Christmas was a photobook of our wedding (July 2009). I flipped through it and noticed a picture of me with my groomsmen. First thing that came to my mind was "...how did I not realize how much I was thinning at the front!?"

7I3Vm.jpg

The picture of me on the right was taken just a few days ago. Granted, there is no harsh flash like the wedding picture, but there is a light bar with 4 bulbs about 2 feet in front/above me. No, not "OMG! SO AMAZING!" on the regrowth stage, but any regrowth is good once your hair starts falling out.

As for the "how soon do I see results?" question...I started taking finasteride in May of 2008. So, the pic on the left I had been on it for 14months. Just because you don't see a drastic difference within the first few (or even 12) months DOES NOT mean that you're not responding, or that it's not working for you. Remember, this stuff takes time, and you see yourself every day. It's hard to judge something that happens so gradually over time.

Amazing results, the sort of hair I'd probably envy if I passed you in the street.