Does finasteride results keep going downhill after 5 years?

drinkrum

Reaction score
Cheyenne Press said:
Hey, I really don't think 5 years is a magic number or anything.

I started using finasteride when I was 19 and first started to notice that I was losing my hair. I'm 26 now, and I have a full head of hair. You really can't even tell if it's thinning if it's soaking wet.

So yeah, I had some regrowth, and I've kept things to this point.
It's been 6.5 years, and I'm in pretty good shape.

I periodically use 5% minoxidil. I might apply it every other day. Maybe .5 mL. Usually after showering.

I've personally read great results off of fluridil, so I might try it in the coming years. It's kind of expensive right now, but I'm sure the price will come down. Read nothing but good results off of it, and it has the added bonus of attacking other androgens other than DHT with no systemic side-effects.

Good luck, dude.

Any side effects or anything, Cheyenne Press? By the way, I'm a long-term user as well, about to hit the golden 5-year mark.

D.

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey Cheyenne Press that's great new's and congratulations! Thanks for letting me know and that makes me feel better hearing that from somebody. I'm just going to go with the Propecia & minoxidil for now and mabye some Proxiphen for some extra help to turn these small black hairs in my hairline terminal again. Thanks!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
stax said:
Hey, i e-mailed Dr.proctor and asked him what the strength of Minoxidil and spironolactone was in the Prescription Proxiphen and this is what he said.

"2%. But you can leave each one out and it seems to make little difference in the efficiancy".

SO what do you think he means? What are the major ingrediants in it that make it so efficiant without spironolactone and Minoxidil ?

The exotic stuff that's exclusively associated with Dr. Proctor, like PBN, TEMPO/TEMPOL, NANO, phenytoin, etc.

stax said:
I dont like the idea that there is only 2% minoxidil and 2% spironolactone in it and im starting to think about dropping the idea of buying Proxiphen. Any advice?

PHOOEY. You don't use Proxiphen for the mundane, ordinary stuff like minoxidil and spironolactone that you can easily get in lots of other places. You use Proxiphen for the cutting-edge stuff like the aforementioned substances.

Bryan

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan, thanks for the help. Yeah i guess your right and i just hope that those special ingrediants in Proxiphen are effective. Also is the 2% spironolactone in Proxiphen enough to block the androgen receptor's ?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
You know, I'm greatly surprised at Dr. Proctor's response about that 2% concentration for two different reasons:

1) The last I'd heard, the minoxidil concentration he was using in Proxiphen was 5.5%, not 2%. If it really is 2% now, that must be a relatively recent change.

2) This is the FIRST time in the exactly 10 years that I've been following him that he has EVER divulged any information whatsoever about the concentration of spironolactone in Proxiphen! :freaked: Frankly, it makes me wonder if he was actually only referring to the minoxidil, and not the spironolactone (he tends to race through responses without much proofreading). Why don't you email him again and ask him to clarify that? Tell him that you didn't quite understand what he meant, and was he referring to BOTH the spironolactone and the minoxidil, or just one or the other, and if so, which? PLEASE PLEASE post his response here!! :D

Bryan

Cheyenne Press

Reaction score
Just replied to a PM earlier, so I'll go ahead and make it public.

No real major side-effects with finasteride. I was impotent for a few days about a week into taking finasteride, but that problem cured itself and I haven't had any problems since. There was a slight increase in acne when I first started, as well, but that's normal with any new fluctation in hormone levels, especially at the age of 19. Maybe a decrease in ejaculate fluid, but it could be my imagination. Haven't gone off of finasteride long enough to say for sure.

I workout quite a bit and haven't had problems increasing strength in the gym. Pretty much the same as my workout buddy, who doesn't use finasteride.

Maybe I'm fortunate (aside from this cold), but I'm a fan.

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan, I asked Dr.Proctor what the strength of Minoxidil was in Proxiphen and he said it was 2% Minoxidil. Then i asked him what the strength of spironolactone was and he said 2% spironolactone. So then i asked him if i could add 2oz's of 5% spironolactone in with the Proxiphen and he said yes. So im thinking about doing this and was wondering your advice. Will it take away from Proxiphen's effectiveness? What is a stronger anti androgen 5% spironolactone or Fluridil? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
stax said:
Bryan, I asked Dr.Proctor what the strength of Minoxidil was in Proxiphen and he said it was 2% Minoxidil. Then i asked him what the strength of spironolactone was and he said 2% spironolactone.

Wow, so he really did verify those numbers!

I'm glad he reduced the amount of minoxidil. He seemed to be having some problems with precipitation of other agents back when the minoxidil content was 5.5%, so now he can probably have more of the exotic stuff in Proxiphen.

stax said:
So then i asked him if i could add 2oz's of 5% spironolactone in with the Proxiphen and he said yes. So im thinking about doing this and was wondering your advice. Will it take away from Proxiphen's effectiveness?

I assume you mean using Dr. Lee's 5% spironolactone along with Proxiphen?? Yeah, I suppose that's ok. I'd use it separately from the Proxiphen, though...

stax said:
What is a stronger anti androgen 5% spironolactone or Fluridil?

Don't know. I hope we see some independent testing of fluridil some day.

Bryan

Petchsky

Reaction score
Hey Bryan,

Quick question for you, Which, in your opinion is the better product, Proxiphen, or Xandrox... Reason i ask is i am coming up to two years on the big 3, everything is still rosey, but in a year or so i'm thinking of making a few changes.

Your opinion is valued, thanks.

P.S Sorry for the thread hijack! business can go on as normal.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I consider Xandrox to be nothing but an expensive version of topical minoxidil, so I think Proxiphen is the better product.

Bryan

Petchsky

Reaction score
Bryan said:
I consider Xandrox to be nothing but an expensive version of topical minoxidil, so I think Proxiphen is the better product.

Bryan

Cheers B man. :D

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah Bryan in seriously thinking about getting Proxiphen next week but it's a hard decision to make because it's so much money and i haven't really heard anybody's positive results who used it. It would be nice if i could see a lot of positive responses from people that used it. On the HTL main page where you can look at the photo gallery their is a 40 year old guy named " Jon " who flew to see Dr.Proctor and used his Prescription Proxiphen for a year and a half with NO results. But he had incredible results with finasteride and minoxidil. You should see the pics their amazing. So im really debating this one. Im also thinking about dropping the 5% spironolactone for Fluridil because i've read So many positive results form people using it on Hairsite's forums. It's a tough call. Anybody's advice would be great.