does finasteride repair the follicle

Reaction score
does finasteride repair the follicle to a state before male pattern baldness kicked in? If so why does it only take 6-12 months after coming off it for the follicle to die again. Surely it should take the 4-5 years that it took for it to weaken the first time round. can anyone help.

moxsom

Established Member
Reaction score
No, the follicle is not repaired when being treated with finasteride. For most people once the genetic damage is done, it is permenant.

Although since the follicle is no longer being bombarded by DHT, the follicle will stop producting negative growth factors and you may see an increase in follicle width and length. Most of the people who notice significant regrowth have also shown an increase in other hair related growth factors (ie. IGF-1) although it is unkown if these are being produced as a byproduct of the finasteride.

Reaction score
my hair has been diffuse thinning for a few years now but ive still got my hairline and i think most of my follicles are still producing hair albeit thinner and weaker hairs. are you saying these hairs will go back to their original thickness?