Does Finasteride Interfere with Concieving Children?

hairdilemma

Reaction score
I have been on finasteride for about 24 months now, and it is maintaining. I do experience the same symptons as others do such as decreased libido and low sex drive. Recently me and my girlfriend/future wife began talking of raising a family.

I went to my doctor and asked him about the side effects of finasteride when reproducing but he didnt have a clue. Am i being paranoid here? I am really thinking of dropping finasteride for a year or so before me and my girlfriend concieve a child. I am afraid that finasteride has messed up my sperm. Has anyone had children while on finasteride? Any advise would be helpful

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
The pharmacist told me to stop for 6 months if i was planning to have kids. My doctor said not to try while on the drug as well so im guessing it's not a good idea to conceive while taking finasteride.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh Christ...will this issue NEVER go away?? The FDA has removed all restrictions on the use of finasteride while conceiving a baby.

Bryan

powersam

Reaction score
this is another one where you could have just used the search function. 3 or 4 posters on this site have conceived very healthy children while on finasteride and spoken about it here. actually even google could have answered this question for you in no time.

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dont take a chance, f**k what the fda says you and your partner should be on NO drugs when conceiving a child, a human life. Get the drug totally out of your system imo.

powersam

Reaction score
despite the fact that the drug will have absoutely no effect at all on their conception? he's not taking a chance as there is no risk. unless the wifey is also on propecia.

Hairdilemna - all evidence, all of it, says that it is safe to conceive on finasteride. though i spose if you've having libido problems that might make conception a little bit more difficult. either way the end choice is up to you, just know that finasteride being in your bloodstream wont hurt the baby at all. just make sure your woman doesnt handle the pills at all.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
PowerSam said:
Hairdilemna - all evidence, all of it, says that it is safe to conceive on finasteride. though i spose if you've having libido problems that might make conception a little bit more difficult. either way the end choice is up to you, just know that finasteride being in your bloodstream wont hurt the baby at all. just make sure your woman doesnt handle the pills at all.

You know, I wouldn't even have any qualms about my woman handling Propecia pills. THAT is how ridiculous I consider this whole issue to be. THERE'S NO RISK INVOLVED, as long as the woman doesn't swallow any of the damned pills.

Bryan

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
PowerSam said:

You know, I wouldn't even have any qualms about my woman handling Propecia pills. THAT is how ridiculous I consider this whole issue to be. THERE'S NO RISK INVOLVED, as long as the woman doesn't swallow any of the damned pills.

Bryan
what if his son is born with a really small penis though because his father had DHT deficient sperm hehehe

ang_99

Established Member
Reaction score
Umm, maybe I'm off base here but why would you need to stop for 4 or 6 months? I thought finasteride is out of your system in about 24 hours which is why we take it everyday...

Now if your worried that it F'd your sperm up then maybe jack off a few times after you stop taking it and produce some "fresh" sperm in a week or 2.

jayk

Reaction score
Hi all

I've been on propecia for about 6 weeks now and after reading this thread something occured to me. I know women and very young males are not supposed to touch the stuff and as I have a 4 yr old son who I share food and drink with quite often I'm now wondering whether this is ok or not? Is there any finasteride in my saliva for instance?

I realize this may be a stupid question but could anyone who has some idea please answer anyway.

Thanks