Does exess Testosterone age the skin faster?

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I read this quote on a hairloss forum and i was wondering if this is true?

"I already knew from viewing pictures of female-to-male transexuals, nameley shooting a woman up with testosterone will age her quite rapidly and that testosterone (and its metablolites) are the reason that men age in their facial (and proboaby scalp) skin so much faster than women do."

Is this true? Because im taking drugs that raise my testosterone and im scared of this. Is there any truth to this? Because if so im dropping all drugs right now. I am waking up with bad bags under my eye since about 1 week starting Dutasteride and i get 8 hours sleep. I never got this before. Anybody have any info on this? Thanks!

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
where did u get this info from. looks like somebody misled u

for the fact is that women;s skin age faster than men! and they have very little testesterone.

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks Chewbaca! i read this in a thread at hairsite and i was hoping its not true. Do you think lack of DHT can cause mens skin to age faster? Im worried about this. I read that high cortisol levels can aswell.

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
michael barry, i know you are a smart guy, so you know that womans bodies act TOTALLY different than a mans in a lot of cases right? For example, testosterone (not dht) can cause hairloss in a woman, and while 17 beta-estradiol is bad for a man, it doesnt pose a threat in woman

http://www.skinbiology.com/menopause&aging.html

"Prostate cancer is the most common form of cancer in older men in more developed countries but still relatively rare in China. Like female reproductive organs, the balance between three steroid hormones, testosterone, dihydrotestosterone (DHT), and a third, 17 beta-estradiol, determine the cancer risk. Testicle tissue makes E2 to a small extent, but more is produced adipose (fat depot) tissue.

In men, the dangerous estrogen is 17 beta-estradiol which increases the effects of DHT in older men. Also, more E2 will be formed in overweight men. This increase in 17 beta-estradiol is damaging because it increases the effects of DHT, the hormone that causes hair loss and many other physical effects of aging in men.

But again, as described for women, plant substances such as I-3-C act to lower the damaging 17 beta estradiol in men. The removal of 17 beta estradiol was nearly doubled in males who took 500 mg per day of I-3-C for 7 days. (Michnovicz and Bradlow 1990). As with women, ascorbigen also increased MFO activity. "

Estrogen keeps a womans skin young healthy looking, and woman thrive off of Estrogen because its their main hormone, So im thinking since we thrive off of Testosterone because its out main hormone, mabye exess estrogen can cause skin aging and Testosterone can keep our skin looking youthfull? Do you catch my drift? What do you think? Things have a totally different effect on a woman than on a man for the most part. Im just concerned because on Dutasterise my testosterone is being increase, and im going to be on Arimidex to lower estrogen by 50% to help prevent gyno.

But as Chewbaca mentioned, womans skin do appear to age faster than a mans, so im concerned either that in the absence of DHT this might cause skin aging, raised testosterone might cause skin aging, or raised estrogen migh cause skin aging, faster in a man. Or mabye since DHT is an anti-stress hormone, we are experiencing elevated cortisol levels which cause stress, hairloss, and aging at a faster rate. What do you think?

joeylloyd

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys who spend too much time on steroids or take too much also tend to look prematurely aged as well and not just because they are going bald:)

If you guys want a tip to look youthful try either estrogen meds (not recommended) or growth hormone. Growth is a very good drug imo not just for restoring youthful vitality but even potentially restoring hair and adding life and maybe colour to peoples hair.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
stax said:
"In men, the dangerous estrogen is 17 beta-estradiol which increases the effects of DHT in older men. Also, more E2 will be formed in overweight men. This increase in 17 beta-estradiol is damaging because it increases the effects of DHT, the hormone that causes hair loss and many other physical effects of aging in men."

He appears to be talking specifically about prostate cancer or BPH in this context, and I suppose that could be true. Nevertheless, I wish he had provided a reference for the claim that estradiol increases the effects of DHT.

stax said:
Estrogen keeps a womans skin young healthy looking, and woman thrive off of Estrogen because its their main hormone, So im thinking since we thrive off of Testosterone because its out main hormone, mabye exess estrogen can cause skin aging and Testosterone can keep our skin looking youthfull? Do you catch my drift? What do you think? Things have a totally different effect on a woman than on a man for the most part.

Stax, you're just rationalizing here.

Bryan

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan, im looking for answers on the subject, Do you have anything to contribute on the subject in the context of the question being asked? Im actually getting off the drugs because there not healthy for me, but im interested to know about the question i was asking, thats pretty much it. A womans body is a lot different from a mans.

michael barry

Reaction score
Stax,

You can a check out this article from L'Oreal, via the Sunday Times. They pretty much claim baldness is just the extreme early ageing of a hair follicle and this is the result of their research. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFrien ... 10,00.html

Here is another company's claim about testosterone's effect on men's skin (not hair) here http://alpecin.com/en/pdf/alpecin_research_2.pdfhats a short article, but you get the gist of what is said.

Look at a couple of pictures for me. http://blog.lewrockwell.com/lewrw/archi ... ton-vi.jpg
There are pictures of the young Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Now look at them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Hillary.jpg
and here http://content.answers.com/main/content ... ention.jpg

Notice anything? See how much more he has aged than she has. This is not a unique phenomenon in my experience. Men get greyer, age facially and have more "aged" hair than women do even if they dont have baldness. Old couples CONSTANTLY seem to attest to this.

Let me give you another example. Here is a pic of actor Michael Douglas, who has the same high aristocratic hairline he always has had at 56 http://www.theincrowdvlog.com/incrowdvl ... ouglas.jpg

Now look at French actress Catherine DeNeuve http://www.elsiglodetorreon.com.mx/imag ... 259381.jpg . Catherine is in her early sixties now I think. She would be about the same age as Douglas in that photograph. She has aged very well. Look at the hair.....................not grey yet. Neither one of them has baldness, or recession. However, I bet as the years after menapause pass......she will beging to "catch up" with him. Ive seen this on several old couples after the wife passes menaupause. They are not protected by estrogen in their dermal tissues nearly as much.

Think about the pictures of the two transexual twins also.

You mentioned hormones affect the sexes differently. That very well proboably is right, but to an extent they effect many of us the same way.
Transexuals take flutamide orally. Its an androgen receptor blocker. Your hips will swell, *** get bigger, you'll grow tits, and generally become quite feminine if you take if for a long time. Its effects are heightened if you take estrogen. I seen a Maury Povitch show that explained all this crap and they paraded some real women and transexuals who still were technically men out before the audience and let the audience guess who was a girl and who was not. They only got about half of them right. I only got about half of them right. Even their beards apparently dont grow much at all after being on hormone for a long while/and laser hair removal.

The female transexuals who wanted to look like men also prove the same point. Shoot a gal up with enough testosterone, she loses her ***, her tits shrink, she gets shoulder muscles, wider back, can build up in the gym........becomes much like a man without the equipment. Im old enough to remember the old East German female athletes that used steroids. Women with receeding temples and big muscles winning footraces. It was wierd.

As far as you taking extra male hormone......it will help you build bigger muscles and recover quicker after workouts. Im older now, and am sore for a couple of days after I pump iron. Im still pretty built up and am pretty damn strong for my age/weight. But I aint' what I used to be. Mark McGuire took that andro because he said he was tired of being sore all the time. I hate it that young kids associate roid's with Jose Canseco, who as a Puerto Rican, had wonderful hair genes. He could proboably bathe in DHT and not lose hair. Doesnt have the genes. But oh Stax, have I seen bodybuilders have hair FLY out of their heads after a cycle of dinabol or winstrol. The other poster was right about another thing too........maybe its the tanning, but lots of guys I used to pump with when I was in my twenties sure look older now. Greying, grey beards brows. Its a calculated risk. If its something youre worried about, perhaps you could use Pickart's folligen on your face too? I have some of that. It seems like great stuff. The difference for folligen for hair and the face is quite small, just a few different ingredients. The hair cream and lotion also have saw palmetto oil, which is an weak anti-androgen. Food for thought. Take care of your back in the gym too man. Ever really hurt it, that pain doesnt seem to ever leave you for good. Experience talkin'.

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi michael barry, great response, thanks! I see your point, but some men look younger than woman, and some woman look younger than men, at the same age. It really differs, but i beleive what you are saying. I truley beleive stress play a big role in aging, aswell as elevated cortisol levels. I also beleive that woman's picture you posted used facial creams, treatments,ect, or botox,ect. Im going to be quitting internal drugs anyways as im relying on RU and other topical anti-androgens. Pickart recommended his CP Serum and Emu Oill applied lightly to the face. He sais physical exercise also plays a big role in healthy skin, and to get 3 hours per week. Also MSM, Borage Oil, and a good Multi-Vitamin. The reason i was converned is because i was on Avodart and wanted to start Arimidex to protect against gyno as im prone to it. That would leave em with testosteorne levels around 50% higher than normal. A very bad idea, so no drugs for me. They make me feel messed up, especially without DHT.

michael barry

Reaction score
Stax,

Where are you getting RU58841? China? Is it superexpensive?

Good luck with your regimine by the way. Youre going about this in an intelligent way, getting the facts. Young men are lucky. When I was 20, and visited a Doctor about minoxidil, he didnt know why it worked, what caused baldness, etc. We know much more now and can make informed decisions.

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi michael, yes its from China, and its about $100 per month, and you have to store it carefully, mix it, ect

Thanks for wishing me luck! Ive been doing a lot of research lately, and i cant wait untill HM hits the market :D .

scottie311

Established Member
Reaction score
And don't forget women in general just plain take better care of their skin...period. But otherwise I do believe that they naturally wrinkle faster too. Their skin is more fragile and tends to lose it's elasticity sooner. Just think of how many women you see that aren't that old yet get what I call "Turkey-Neck", you know, that loose and jiggly skin that hangs down under their chin?

clarashanks

My Regimen
Reaction score
The primary type of hair loss in women is equivalent to it is men. It's called androgenetic alopecia, or female or male design Hair misfortune in women be disappointing. However late years have seen an expansion in assets for adapting to the issue. more details visit site skincaremoz(dot)com

Baldingbob123456

My Regimen
Reaction score
testosterone makes the skin courser and thicker (actually DHT the biproduct of testosterone does). It makes you lose that soft baby skin that you had before puberty. This isn't a bad thing and its why women are more prone to wrinkles. In men the courser thicker skin helps keep our skins shape and prevent wrinkles.

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
testosterone makes the skin courser and thicker (actually DHT the biproduct of testosterone does). It makes you lose that soft baby skin that you had before puberty. This isn't a bad thing and its why women are more prone to wrinkles. In men the courser thicker skin helps keep our skins shape and prevent wrinkles.
There's actually no legitimate proof of this, just a bunch of theories. I don't think thick skin prevents wrinkles, I think thick skin makes them deeper. One thing I've noticed since starting finasteride is that my deeper lines, such as my nasolabial folds are way less pronounced (not bad to begin with tho) and my pores are smaller. On top of that less redness and pimples which all results in a healthier looking skin.

There are actually studies that look into the correlation of 5ar and skin aging. Inhibiting DHT might be good when it comes to skin aging.

Baldingbob123456

My Regimen
Reaction score
There's actually no legitimate proof of this, just a bunch of theories. I don't think thick skin prevents wrinkles, I think thick skin makes them deeper. One thing I've noticed since starting finasteride is that my deeper lines, such as my nasolabial folds are way less pronounced (not bad to begin with tho) and my pores are smaller. On top of that less redness and pimples which all results in a healthier looking skin.

There are actually studies that look into the correlation of 5ar and skin aging. Inhibiting DHT might be good when it comes to skin aging.

Are you sure about there not being clear evidence of this? this is pretty objective, i mean look around, almost all men age better in terms of skin than women, especially on the neck and jawline. Id say the main difference is that women take better care of their skin and apply more make up which hides the aging. Also I'm not disputing that lower dht will cause less acne and redness as that is clearly understood; dht being a huge contributor to acne, I'm arguing the wrinkle aspect which has to do with collagen thickness.

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you sure about there not being clear evidence of this? this is pretty objective, i mean look around, almost all men age better in terms of skin than women, especially on the neck and jawline. Id say the main difference is that women take better care of their skin and apply more make up which hides the aging. Also I'm not disputing that lower dht will cause less acne and redness as that is clearly understood; dht being a huge contributor to acne, I'm arguing the wrinkle aspect which has to do with collagen thickness.
Where's the evidence then? I think a lot of it has to do with what is found attractive. Womens attractiveness is related to youth while men still can be found just as attractive later in life. However, I don't think men have fewer wrinkles unless we're talking about the late 40's when women go through the menopause. No matter what there are a lot of factors in play when it comes to aging.