Does Estrogen work for or against hair loss?

Rutt

Established Member
Reaction score
I've seen mixed responses on this issue, but i guess instinctively it would seem that it would prevent hair loss as its often prescribed for women suffering from hair loss

Since there's a number of foods/diets (licorish extract, soy) that act like estrogen, it would be interesting to see, including if sides come up.

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
You will continue to see a mixed replies to this thread. I never know what to believe. I won't answer this since I am not sure, and I don't want to lead you into thinking that my opinion is beneficial.

All I will say is that the chinese and japanese culture eat foods with sources of estrogen and they have full heads of hair... but that is just looking at cultural differences. I have no idea what effect it may have on our hair.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Estrogen has been shown to stimulate the growth of balding hair follicles in at least two or three different studies. Based on that simple fact, it's hard to see how estrogen would have a bad effect on hair loss.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Estrogen has been shown to stimulate the growth of balding hair follicles in at least two or three different studies. Based on that simple fact, it's hard to see how estrogen would have a bad effect on hair loss.

Bad effect, no. Good effect? I'm not sure how good it would be at countering male pattern baldness given dominance of DHT/T in a males body (and hair follicle!!)

Progesterone , being a DHT inhibitor, is obviously better.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Mens Rea said:
Bad effect, no. Good effect? I'm not sure how good it would be at countering male pattern baldness given dominance of DHT/T in a males body (and hair follicle!!)

Estrogen _does_ have an effect as a 5a-reductase inhibitor, so its growth-stimulating property by at least a couple of different mechanisms seems likely.

By the way, even minoxidil has no effect against DHT/T, so is it wise to say that it has no effect at all against hair loss, and doesn't even stimulate growth? :)

Reaction score
When I was in finasteride I first suffered a Telogen Effluvium, but then my hair recovered from that and I actually experienced good regrowth for a few months. After a further few months side effects became more and more prominent and along with this further hair loss. My body clearly became estrogen dominant and this wether directly or indirectly caused hair loss.

As most men grow older hair loss gets greater as does estrogenic effects on the body ie body fat. We know that testosterone drops and estrogen is raised.

I think estriadol and dht are like rogues and can both behave like androgens or estrogens. I think they both cause hair loss. I think high t levels are good and other estrogens are good to an extent. But not estriadol and dht.

I have no evidence whatsoever but just a gut feeling.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
balanceguardian said:
I think estriadol and dht are like rogues and can both behave like androgens or estrogens. I think they both cause hair loss. I think high t levels are good and other estrogens are good to an extent. But not estriadol and dht.

So how do you explain those studies in which estradiol stimulated the growth of balding scalp hair follicles? :dunno:

Mens Rea

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Mens Rea said:

Estrogen _does_ have an effect as a 5a-reductase inhibitor, so its growth-stimulating property by at least a couple of different mechanisms seems likely.

This certainly doesn't appear the case on my hormonal profile...

By the way, even minoxidil has no effect against DHT/T, so is it wise to say that it has no effect at all against hair loss, and doesn't even stimulate growth? :)

Offset of growth ;)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Mens Rea said:
Bryan said:

This certainly doesn't appear the case on my hormonal profile...

I didn't say that it's a BIG and OBVIOUS effect that could be easily noticed by way of looking at a hormonal profile, but nevertheless it's true...

Todd

Established Member
Reaction score
17 alpha estradiol have proven to stimulate hair follicle growth in vitro and in vivo, but the exact mechanism behind it is unclear.
one theory is that 17-a-e stimulates aromatase activity around the follicle, another is that it acts as a receptor blocker...

DarkDays

Reaction score
Considering that a lot of transwomen experience regrowth after going on Hormone Replacement Therapy I would presume estrogen helps hair growth(whereas transmen seem to go bald one and all).

I remember one study that did some tests and according to that estradiol alpha promotes hair growth whereas estradiol beta inhibits hair growth(study was done on mice as usual so no proof if same applies to humans).